Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

oh boy I can't imagine any one not coming to wv. because of bears ,I have lived in this state 79 years and never seen a bear ha ha
we have a beautiful state, fall is awesome .I do not know where you was going in Wv. but come to Beckley , Pipestem area have lots to offer
water rafting ,golf ,fishing shopping give it a try
you will be glad u did

Weesey

Last edited by Weesey; 07-12-2009 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: miss spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM

69 posts, read 191,460 times
No, I don't think much bout the bears, I'd deal with that if I ever so happen to come across one...My husband and I feel in love with WV and can't wait to get moved down there. On our recent trip there we didn't want to come back to up-state NY. The areas we saw ( northern and central) were beautiful..The houses we saw were great and the land is better yet, it's everything we basicly want in life, and then some.My 10 yr. old son loved it too.First night we stayed in New Martinsville at the Amerihost hotel,( Ty Snorpus) The Ohio river was great my son loved watching all the fish jumping in the river, in the evening.Patiently waiting for something to sell here..Which is very hard, cos we can't wait to get moved down there.I was hoping to get moved down there by the time the new school yr. starts, but something needs to happen like very soon for that to happen.The snow conditions down there sound great, we are so tired of snow( 2 or 3 ft. at a time)and it seems that winter NEVER ends.I get depressed just thinking about it. Thank-you everyone for your input and I'm always checking out the WV forum everyday !!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM

23 posts, read 62,599 times
Most negative thing in my mind for WV is the need to drive ANYWHERE. There may be a few exceptions (Motown?), but otherwise it's an extreme inconvenience to not have a car. A lot of housing is spread out too, so driving 15+ min to get anywhere isn't uncommon.

I didn't hate growing up there, but accessibility is a huge problem. Not owning a car sucked in HS, and coming back from college breaks. I am glad I live in a city where I can bike around and get to the majority of things I want now.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 12,879 times
Default You right !!!!!!!

YOU RIGHT MR. KENNEDY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
South Beach and Hallandale is only about $160.00 away on Air-Tran...so, who needs to actually live there? Can't drive it for that...

Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM

14 posts, read 36,668 times
WE have been here for 1 year and can not seem to get used to it. The people are unfreindly and will not try and get to know you until they have been around you for quite some time. The roads are awful. There is a definite lack of culture and opportunity. Chain resteraunts, not quaint coffee shops etc. WE live in the Charleston suburbs-chemical factories to boot!!! Stinky, ugly, dangerous factories. Schools are substandard. REthink your move!!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
I think those chemical factories were there when you moved. And, generally speaking, a NIMBY attitude isn't the best way for an outsider to win friends, it could be that your neighbors depend on those factories for their livelihood.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliefunke View Post
WE have been here for 1 year and can not seem to get used to it. The people are unfreindly and will not try and get to know you until they have been around you for quite some time. The roads are awful. There is a definite lack of culture and opportunity. Chain resteraunts, not quaint coffee shops etc. WE live in the Charleston suburbs-chemical factories to boot!!! Stinky, ugly, dangerous factories. Schools are substandard. REthink your move!!
Maybe it's the area you live in?? The areas we looked into the people were very friendly, they offered information and wished us luck on our move to WV. If you don't like the area you live, you may be giving off negative vibes....just a thought...I'm sure those chemical plants were there long before you moved there...We have no desire to live next to a big city...been there done that...We can't stop thinking of our move and can't wait. I do thank-you for the concern, but we do believe we are making the right move.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliefunke View Post
One more thought...if you're that unhappy now you need to get the heck outa there, and get on with your life somewhere that will make you happy, life i believe is to short to be living somewhere that it sounds like is not for you. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Default Education Crushes Your Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
How is it that a college educated person such as yourself would come to view the world as a cartoonish and one dimensional caricature? Doesn't sound like that degree elevated your thinking at all. You need to go back to that junior college and ask for your money back.
At least that is what has been said by Philosophers in the Far East. Education overemphasizes the left side of the brain, leaving the right side of the brain (governing intelligence and intuition) starving.

Perhaps one day I've Had Enough, when his college degrees line his room of a homeless shelter, will come back to WV to be re-educated by the hill people, learning how to survive without a college degree.

My Mexican roommate, with just 6 years of education, has sailed through this economic Depression, with no mishaps so far, as this college educated individual wonders if I'll have a job tomorrow.

Only been to WV once and I was deeply impressed with the scenery and the people. I'd move there if it weren't for the cloudy weather a good part of the year. Snow? I love it! Cold? It can get as cold here in Las Vegas in Winter as West Virginia, factoring in windchill. But continuously cloudy weather, that's my cut-off point. And I've researched WV on Weatherunderground.com and the facts are there.

My greatest vacations have been amongst the uneducated. My favorite area being Central America (Honduras/El Salvador/Nicaragua/Guatemala) where I've met the nicest, friendliest people anywhere. And such wonderfully, stupidly honest people. It's so hard to believe that such honesty even exists in this world today. Even on my chicken bus rides there, they'll share their last piece of bread with you.

I see a lot of Central America in West Virginia. 3rd world? But that's the unavoidable destination of our own country!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
... But continuously cloudy weather, that's my cut-off point. And I've researched WV on Weatherunderground.com and the facts are there.

But we get a much bigger thrill out of the occasional cloudless day, just because they are so rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia