Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,214,340 times

Advertisements

It's a shame that probably the least able of the three brothers ended up having the longest career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,526 times
Default "Uneducated" West Virginian People

Beleive me ..I have lived and worked amongst the so-called educated elite for many years ...that intellectually prideful class of people who take it upon themselves to make it their vocation in life instructing others on just how to live a better life.

At the moment I am working amongst drug-addicted doctors here in the uk. They are scared to death of losing their licence to practise here. This bunch of so-called intellectual giants have got to rank amongst the most pitiful of creatures you could ever imagine.

Sure, it's tragic, as they say, but their trendy ideas together with their gravy-train lifestyle is what ambushed them in the first place. It didn't save them from the needle, even though many of them had spent years in practise telling those uneducated folks I hear mentioned in this thread how we would all do better to embrace the new enlightened ideas of this age.

I have been trying to show a few of them how to pray. I have had some success too. But in others they are just too far gone. They have been brainwashed and seduced by big bucks. They continually cite molecules and equations as the way out of their habit. Not surprisingly, a few have died along the way after clinging blindly to their enlightened ideas.

Nearly all of them, incidentally, have expressed the idea of one day going to live somewhere simple amongst the mountains and the trees.

So much for the city.

Last edited by swanlinnet; 10-28-2009 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,272,414 times
You couldn't have said it better...life/death...an engima....but sadly/happily, one of choice.

Gave you points for that worthy gem...had too.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,863,354 times
The worst part of living in WV in being constantly on the defense of how truly great our state and our lives are in Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia.

We are our own worst enemies in constantly bickering and casting negatives about our state and its people.

I have worked in WV public schools (31.5 yrs.) and have been to many national meetings and since taking early retirement; have had the opportunity to work in WV, MI, OK, DC, TN, OH, SD, GA, NY, PA, CT, MD and even HI schools. I would never trade places with any of them as I have seen that we in WV have as good as any in the nation.

Time to STAND UP for WV!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM

396 posts, read 920,519 times
For me the most negative thing in WV- absence of world class art museums. However we have Radio museum in Huntington , it has world class collection of radio equipment and run by volunteers. There are a lot of nice small museums but not world class one.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,272,414 times
Big_Al...the big private money from here went to New York City and the state has never been interested in funding anything but the state museum in Charleston...a public library in a community is about the top of the list..

We have had the opportunitys too...Railroad..Country Music...several others...

Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 PM

208 posts, read 647,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The worst part of living in WV in being constantly on the defense of how truly great our state and our lives are in Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia.

We are our own worst enemies in constantly bickering and casting negatives about our state and its people.

I have worked in WV public schools (31.5 yrs.) and have been to many national meetings and since taking early retirement; have had the opportunity to work in WV, MI, OK, DC, TN, OH, SD, GA, NY, PA, CT, MD and even HI schools. I would never trade places with any of them as I have seen that we in WV have as good as any in the nation.

Time to STAND UP for WV!
I agree that having to be defensive about living in WV is the worst part of it. We lived there for several years due to work. When faced with the decision to move there, my original misconception was "backwards and behind the times." When we visited to make a decision, I saw that it is no different than any other state. There are busy areas, rural areas, etc. It is beautiful in WV and we didn't hesitate at that point to say yes to the move. As soon as we relocated there, we were faced with jokes from our hometown about losing our teeth and marrying our relatives. (For the record, I never met someone there with no teeth or that was married to a relative!) We were constantly defending WV and resenting it. We loved it while we lived there and were sad to leave the state. WV seems to create its own negative reputation and my experience is that it is not anything like other states picture WV to be. The residents need to work together to create a more positive image and show off their beautiful state.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,863,354 times
Default pennsynative

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard what you just said about being relocated and the feelings about coming then finding out how much of a "misconception" there is. I worked in a few schools where we received alot of transfers when our area plants were booming in employment and your feelings are almost universal. Thanks for chiming in.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM

19,401 posts, read 22,337,580 times
When I go back to College Park MD or some of the 'burbs in MD I often get chided. But I quietly look around their surroundings and say "Dude- YOU live in a sh*thole".

That usually shuts them up.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,976,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
If you could say what would be the worst or most negative thing of living in WV

The uneducated populace. By far.

West Virginians have the lowest rate of college degrees in the country.

Their ignorance seeps into every crevice of our society, and makes any real progress on any number of pressing issues, completely impossible.
That's certainly not true everywhere in the state. Morgantown is one of the Nation's best educated cities with more than half the residents having at least a bachelors degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia