Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:44 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times

Advertisements

Did you know the Preamble of the WV Constitution states:

Quote:
Since through Divine Providence we enjoy the blessings of civil, political and religious liberty, we, the people of West Virginia, in and through the provisions of this Constitution, reaffirm our faith in and constant reliance upon God and seek diligently to promote, preserve and perpetuate good government in the state of West Virginia for the common welfare, freedom and security of ourselves and our posterity.
West Virginia Constitution
I found that pretty interesting. In another forum the topic of whether we are a Christian nation was discussed. OP posted a link which showed the PreAmble's of all 50 states. http://tpo.net/Christian/index.htm All of them (unless I missed any) have reference to God. A few say Sovereign Ruler of the Universe or similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Check out the initial design for the Great Seal of the United States. Thomas Jefferson's idea: For the front of the seal: children of Israel in the wilderness, led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. For the reverse: Hengist and Horsa, the two brothers who were the legendary leaders of the first Anglo-Saxon settlers in Britain. He wanted the motto to be "Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God". But modern history books teach us that Jefferson wanted a strict "separation of church and state." History doesn't teach the same lesson. Here's a neat link about the history of the Great Seal. First Committee's Design for the Great Seal - 1776

Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Did you know the Preamble of the WV Constitution states:

I found that pretty interesting. In another forum the topic of whether we are a Christian nation was discussed. OP posted a link which showed the PreAmble's of all 50 states. http://tpo.net/Christian/index.htm All of them (unless I missed any) have reference to God. A few say Sovereign Ruler of the Universe or similar.
I see a generic religious reference in the preamble. I do not see a Christian reference.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,454 times
States that do not mention Almighty God are: Delaware-Divine Goodness, Hawaiiivine Guidance, Iowa:The Supreme Being, Maine & Colorado: Sovereign Ruler, Massachusetts: The goodness of the great Legislator of the Universe, Oregon: No mention or recognition of anyone, Tennessee: Year of our Lord, Vermont: No Preamble, Virginia: No mention or recognition of anyone, West Virginia: Divine Providence. All other states use the words: Almighty God.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,454 times
All words decribing God are Christian words such as our Almighty God is: Divine Goodness, Divine Guidance, Supreme Being, Sovereign Ruler, Great Legislator of the Uneverse, Divine Providence! So all I can say is thank you Jesus and our forefathers for etching it down in history!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
So what? The Preambles of the State Constitutions carry very little weight. All 50 of them are trumped by the Constitution of the United States and all of its Amendments, the first of which says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

So, all those Preambles can say whatever they want, just so long as they keep religion entirely out of the government. No ifs, ands, or buts. Completely out.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Well.... except that it says "Congress shall..." Not "Congress and the States" or "No governmental body". So at least arguably, the First Amendment doesn't limit what the States can do, it just limits what Congress (the Federal government) can do.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Well.... except that it says "Congress shall..." Not "Congress and the States" or "No governmental body". So at least arguably, the First Amendment doesn't limit what the States can do, it just limits what Congress (the Federal government) can do.
The 14th Amendment (ratified by WV on 1/16/1867 and by the required 2/3 of the states on 7/9/1868) did cause all the provisions of the Constitution and the Amendments to be binding on the States as well as the federal government. So, no argument about it. The 1st Amendment applies to the State Government of WV.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,236,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The 14th Amendment (ratified by WV on 1/16/1867 and by the required 2/3 of the states on 7/9/1868) did cause all the provisions of the Constitution and the Amendments to be binding on the States as well as the federal government. So, no argument about it. The 1st Amendment applies to the State Government of WV.
Sorry to seem dense, but what text in the 14th Amendment causes all the provisions of the Constitution to be binding on the states? I just read thru it and apparently missed that reference.

I'm just beginning to read "Founding Faith", which so far seems to imply that the early American religious bodies were the ones who pushed seperation of church and state at the Federal level. Kind of a switch from today's viewpoint.

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
Sorry to seem dense, but what text in the 14th Amendment causes all the provisions of the Constitution to be binding on the states? I just read thru it and apparently missed that reference.

I'm just beginning to read "Founding Faith", which so far seems to imply that the early American religious bodies were the ones who pushed seperation of church and state at the Federal level. Kind of a switch from today's viewpoint.

Thanks.
I am not a lawyer, let alone a constitutional lawyer, but my understanding is that the 2nd sentence of the 1st paragraph (sometimes called "due process clause") does that.

It says, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The bold part means that WV cannot make laws that change rights granted under the Constitution. (At least that's what I understand from listening to lawyers that do understand these things.)

[BTW, there's nothing about your question that I see as dense. I suspect you have to know a lot about federal case law to understand this well.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia