Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:43 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times

Advertisements

Check out the most non-west virginia area of WV, the eastern panhandle, if it's not too far for you. We have everything you're looking for within an hour or less. Plus many job opportunities.
Google events that go on in these towns which are all less than an hour drive from anywhere in Jefferson County WV:
Charles Town, Shepherdstown, Harpers Ferry, Martinsburg in WV
Hagerstown, Sharpsburg, Frederick, Brunswick, Boonsboro in MD
Winchester, Leesburg, Purcellville in VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
With the Obama Economy begining to bloom more fully in Maryland and Virginia, a stampede is on to extend the family money resources...West Virginia EP...here they come...

Don't forget Harpers Ferry...In 20 years it will look just like Reston and Leesburg.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Default Definitely Drive to Morgantown and Check it Out...

It is nationally ranked in several areas, and meets most of the desirable criteria you have listed, plus it is home to the State's major doctoral level flagship University with all the cultural and athletic activities involved with such an institution. And, it is in the top 4 job markets in the Nation. It's also not too far of a hike to Pittsburgh and is near outstanding outdoor activity locations.

WVU College of Creative Arts: http://ccarts.wvu.edu/themes/cca/ima...music_over.gif

WVU Arts and Entertainment (open to the public): Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

West Virginia Public Theater: West Virginia Public Theatre

City of Morgantown (be sure to browse the site): City of Morgantown, WV official website

Coopers Rock State Forest/Park (outside of Morgantown): Coopers Rock State Forest - A West Virginia State Park

Cheat Lake: CheatLake.com -- The online guide to Cheat Lake and Morgantown, WV

Arts on the River: tuck's music journal: Morgantown Arts on the River Festival

City of Morgantown Annual Events

And, while Charleston and some of the other towns are losing population, that is not true of Morgantown which has been in growth mode for years. The City is prosperous with a vibrant cultural fabric with activities for diverse interests. Newspaper interests within the town involve The Dominion Post and the WVU student newspaper The Daily Atheneum, but nearby towns of Fairmont, WV, Clarksburg, PA, and Uniontown, PA also have newspapers so check them out too. They are all an easy commute from Morgantown.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,648 times
Thank you everyone for your responses! I knew that WV had more to offer. Huntington and Morgantown sound very interesting! And from my research, WV has a much better unemployment rate than many other states. Where we live the unemployment rate is 12% - can't get much worse than that!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:33 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
In a previous posting, I mentioned that the FBI is having a difficult time finding the people they need for the new 'White-collar Crime Task Force. This investigative group is in the 2nd tier government pay scale.

If you have previous business book keeping/auditing or professional experience, are in your 30/40'sand have the computer skillls to Data Mine, please give them a shout...Applicants can go on line with FBI.gov.

It carries a high security clearance and takes about 6 months to hire-in but the conditions are very good.
Area is Clarksburg/Fairmont, Wv and Winchester, Va.

Qualified applicants have been low and the agency has asked present employees to sift through their families to see if any are interested and qualified.

If I were younger, I would go to this work like a bird dog working a quail...

Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Any Civil Service job can be a great long term move, but those
particular Federal jobs are among the best in the country. They
usually offer not only good pay, but also excellent advancement
opportunities and benefits. I made a career of the military and
state civil service, which was fine, but like you if I had it to do
over and were near the Clarksburg/Fairmont facilities I would
jump through hoops to get in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia