Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM

134 posts, read 411,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy chic View Post
I was in Ocean City recently and talking to a couple who said they moved out of Appalachia (they lived in PA near the WV state line) and said they wanted to raise their children out of the "Meth culture"--their words,not mine. It seems there is a sad tradition in places with limited employment it seem to be a pattern --the girls are often pregnant by 18 or even younger,teenage fathers,lots of drug addiction and people on welfare (I saw so much of this growing up).
I don't know why more teenagers don't realize they are only adding to problems by getting involved in drugs. My parents told me at age 16--"you ever get involved in drugs,we don't want you living here--and they MEANT that!
I'd say if you want to find an area with LESS drug use,go to a county with better employment. (will still be drug use,but maybe not as prevalent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,269,680 times
Actually drug use needs to be categorized...
1. Professionally prescribed by authorities (Medical community)
Abuse of this by re-selling.
2. Recreational users...all classes from Welfare Class to the Wealthy Class.
3. Hard Addiction types: Crack, Herion (illegal and legal) Pain killers and speed.

The thing about it is this...it's everywhere...The kids in school have Doctor perscribed Ritalin...then they migrate to other chemicals.

High School and college is the place to do everything wild and get the addictions in place.

Their mothers (and dad's if they have one in the house) are on something.
The work week is suffered through to smoke the stash or 'get wasted on the weekends.

Better, higher paying employment means better selection.

I worked on a project at Mon General when their expansion was in its early stages...we were hired because we could pass the drug screening.
The nurse in charge of that said to me, "We have to fail 9 out of 10 people who come through that door...drug use....and they can't get past my screening...If you have drugs in your body, I can tell what they are."

I said, "What about after 30 days?" She said, "It dosen't matter...I can tell."

A great part of this area is High Security in nature...Clearances to work in those certain fields...
Apply for one of those jobs and you go into their file...with everything...DUI's, speeding tickets, and some of that information is shared...drug use is one of them...
Why? Because the user is addicted and has the potential to commit a crime to 'fix his habit.

It boils down to personal choice..choosing to get hooked or Not choosing to get hooked....and a lot of that depends on positive role models.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:27 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,212,987 times
I wonder if "pee in the cup" could be made part of picking up your welfare check, your unemployment check, etc.? Naw, probably never happen.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,269,680 times
Snorpus:

Drug tests for unemployment checks, and welfare will be done by the states themselves.

Part of the Workforce Agenda..how about Drivers License's? CDL, electrical workers, steel workers, coal miners, ect.

Done now on a Random Testing Mode but this is the introduction to the main line checking.

But its a paradox: The Feds want Pot legalized for the taxation..consider is a non-drug. How do they do both...

The 'War on Drugs ended in defeat when the Clinton Administration gutted their funding.

Bottom line: Employers will be the only drug safety valve...they cannot assume the liability for injuryand addiction in the workplace.

Biggest Waste in the World: Kid with a college degree and a habit...can't get a job anywhere!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 AM

967 posts, read 2,986,607 times
$28,736,596,338 spent so far this year in the "war on drugs"... doesn't seem the drug war is defeated just yet David. Too much money being made "fighting" this war. What a joke. We are so stupid as a country, it's pitiful.

You are right on with the addiction cycle. It starts in elementary school. Seems every kids these days has some sort of ailment that requires a steady stream of drugs to "fix" it. Truth is, there is too much money in the treatment, these drugs are not meant to "cure".

Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 23,727 times
Everyone has made very valid points. I'll try to find a better area but I realize that even if I do find one I'll still have to be vigilant about making sure my children are associating with the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy chic View Post
I'd say if you want to find an area with LESS drug use,go to a county with better employment. (will still be drug use,but maybe not as prevalent).
That makes sense. How do I find out which areas have better employment?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM

967 posts, read 2,986,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionen View Post
Everyone has made very valid points. I'll try to find a better area but I realize that even if I do find one I'll still have to be vigilant about making sure my children are associating with the right people.
Ahhhh, PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT, the cure for just about all of our societal woes. So easy, yet so elusive.

Quote:
That makes sense. How do I find out which areas have better employment?
Take a drive through the area you're interested in on a work day. If you don't see a bunch of people hanging out on their porches, employment must be good!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 23,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Take a drive through the area you're interested in on a work day. If you don't see a bunch of people hanging out on their porches, employment must be good!
So true, LOL!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 AM

4,934 posts, read 8,881,587 times
Quote:
How do I find out which areas have better employment?
Here are the latest monthly stats. You can always find them at the Workforce WV website.

http://www.workforcewv.org/LMI/datarel/cnty_PR.pdf

Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 AM

175 posts, read 563,504 times
Quote:
Eliminate Jackson County from your choices!! We just had a big sweep on meth cookers/suppliers netting about 51 people in and near Ravenswood. Considering the total population of the town that's proportionally quite a number. Just guessing but I have a feeling the crackdown is just beginning!! I keep in touch with a lot of retired military friends all around the country and I can assure you the drug problem is not isolated to West Virginia....it's everywhere....and these are not just kids. A lot of those arrested in Jackson County ranged in age from their late 30's to early 50's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia