Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,731 times

Advertisements

It might be worth a trip and camp out just to see them. Lately all we get are the C-5 Galaxies doing landing runs into Martinsburg. A sight to see such a large plane, coming in gear down overhead, then power up again for another run. Not often enough to be a bother, but I always run out to the deck to watch.
Every time I hear a fighter now I get chills and remember 9-11. I was in an office in Shepherdstown that morning when I heard that something had happened in NY. It wasn't too long until I heard the growing thunder coming from the west and heading east across the Potomac. I'm not sure exactly where they had come from or where they were headed, but they were low and loud, heading eastward. It was a strange feeling to see fighter jets flying low when there wasn't an airshow.
Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd32127 View Post
I am thouroughly obsessed with fighter jets and airshows, which is why I've been dying to get a look at them. I am under the impression that the Air Force as a whole has rights to the airspace in Tucker County, and in the 3 days I spent there, the campground ranger told me DC, and the people in the lodge said Norfolk. If you see them all the time, do they ever look like different jets on different days?
Yes, I have noticed 2 separate types of jets (not to say there haven't been others). It's only lately that I've been really making the effort to try to identify them. I googled pictures of jets to try to identify them. The one day they looked like F-16's. Another day they were totally different, and when I googled pictures I am 100% sure they were F-22's (raptors).

My husband was home early last week, and he's always dying to get a look at these jets, so we heard the noise and ran to the window and he caught it. Whenever it flies near the smaller mountain they always seem to do some manuever where is flies almost sideways for a few seconds. Well, my husband saw him do just that and was in awe.

He was pouring concrete recently at Blackwater Falls (they are building new cabins) and the jets came by again. A few construction workers waved up at the jet as it flew overhead. It was out of respect, but I wonder if they can see any of us on the ground. I mean really, the one time I saw the figure of the pilot thru the glass he was so close, did he see me? Hmmm.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Quote:
I am thouroughly obsessed with fighter jets and airshows, which is why I've been dying to get a look at them. I am under the impression that the Air Force as a whole has rights to the airspace in Tucker County, and in the 3 days I spent there, the campground ranger told me DC, and the people in the lodge said Norfolk. If you see them all the time, do they ever look like different jets on different days?
The op-areas are called MOA's, or Military Operations Areas. These are places where we can do certain flight regimes that are prohibited elsewhere. Civilian flight trafic is routed around these areas when they're active.
No one service "owns" them, but depending on location, individual Services are assigned to schedule the use of them.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
The op-areas are called MOA's, or Military Operations Areas. These are places where we can do certain flight regimes that are prohibited elsewhere. Civilian flight trafic is routed around these areas when they're active.
No one service "owns" them, but depending on location, individual Services are assigned to schedule the use of them.
That's interesting. There's the small airport at Winwood in Canaan Valley, I wonder if they know which days they are allowed to fly? Those fighter jets flying around along with those small private planes seem kinda dangerous.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM

79 posts, read 140,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
It might be worth a trip and camp out just to see them. Lately all we get are the C-5 Galaxies doing landing runs into Martinsburg. A sight to see such a large plane, coming in gear down overhead, then power up again for another run. Not often enough to be a bother, but I always run out to the deck to watch.
Every time I hear a fighter now I get chills and remember 9-11. I was in an office in Shepherdstown that morning when I heard that something had happened in NY. It wasn't too long until I heard the growing thunder coming from the west and heading east across the Potomac. I'm not sure exactly where they had come from or where they were headed, but they were low and loud, heading eastward. It was a strange feeling to see fighter jets flying low when there wasn't an airshow.
Clint
That's what makes it so hard to get a look at these jets, because you can't actually see them in the campground, just hear it through the trees. According to my dad, they used to go over the campground, but now-a-days I guess you just have to be on the main road at the right time.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM

It's probably hard to know when they're coming, but I would love it if somebody could get a picture or video of it. I was told at the lodge that somebody did, but it's nowhere to be found on the internet. Mostly I want to see how low they really are.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
That's interesting. There's the small airport at Winwood in Canaan Valley, I wonder if they know which days they are allowed to fly? Those fighter jets flying around along with those small private planes seem kinda dangerous.
Before taking off, pilots are supposed to check the local NOTAMS (Notices To Airmen). If an area is going to be active, it will be in the NOTAMS. Should someone wander into an active MOA, we usually just knock it off until they leave. Sometimes ATC will have them call the FAA when they land to get a reminder to check the NOTAMS!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 PM

413 posts, read 938,017 times
Quote:
Mostly I want to see how low they really are.
I'd guess no more than 100-200 feet, sometimes lower, maybe no more than a couple of dozen feet above the trees. They throw out a mighty gust of wind, and feels like they just about shatter your eardrums. One time up at Mt. Storm, they buzzed the turbines (I swear they went between the turbines sideways). Scared bodily fluids out of me. It was the gossip on the radio the rest of the day.

I've been close enough to see the pilots clearly. I wonder if they saw me. I know they saw the truck, as they'd always radio back to the second one in line and it would come even closer. I wonder if they like making us consider bringing a change of pants out in the field...

Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 AM

thinking of maybe going to blackwater falls/canaan valley lodges next week, how's the action this time of year?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Good luck getting in...

With this great first winter snowfall, all the lodges should be at capacity...start booking now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia