Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times

Advertisements

Both Blackwater and Canaan Valley have online reservation systems:

Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd32127 View Post
thinking of maybe going to blackwater falls/canaan valley lodges next week, how's the action this time of year?
I saw the fighter jets last week, but I see them way less than in the summer and fall.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 PM

16 posts, read 35,653 times
Anyone think they can look for F-15's specifically this summer? I want to know if WV has Eagles since that's my favorite airplane.

If you're not familiar with military aviation: http://www.dudes411.com/planesF15Eagle.jpg

Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Dredging up an old thread.

For all those wondering what aircraft fly near Davis, WV. Many DoD aircraft fly in the area to conduct low-level training on a Military Training Route (MTR) designated as VR-043. In that area the route structure is from 100' AGL to 10k MSL but the AF doesn't fly below 500' AGL although the Navy will sometimes fly as low as 300' AGL. Many of the aircraft you see are F-15Es, F-16s, the EA-6b, and F-18s. I'm pretty sure the F-22 doesn't conduct much low-level training on MTRs, so its unlikely you'll see one flying VR-043.

I hope this clarifies the question for everyone.

-Raygun

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM

37 posts, read 57,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLudi View Post
They buzz us here in Grafton often also. They seem to come from nowhere. Very fast, VERY low. You expect to hear a large crash within seconds but off they go as fast as they came. I've always heard they were practicing making runs at the Tygart Dam. I don't know if that's true or just what seems most likely.
Speaking of crashes, one of these military jets did crash deep in the woods near Mt. Storm about 25 years ago. I remember it clearly, but I can't seem to find any record of it happening.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,190 times
its not because we are less populated its because of our beautiful mountians and deep valleys so they can manuver in them cause they are like the mountains in iraq and it gives them a feel of what its like...

Old 12-13-2014, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,190 times
i love when they fly by here, sometimes you can hear them coming from way off, and other times they are right on top of you before you even hear anything ..its awsome and such an adreneline rush for me ..i like it best when they do the turns and twist ..i saw 2 the other day come over and one was going strait while the other one was coming sideways at the first one and when he got really close 2 the 1st one he turned at the last minute.. they pratice here all the time i love it its such a thrill to watch them and awsome 2 know they have our backs..

Old 12-13-2014, 09:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Tsk tsk. What a waste of tax-payer money.
Not sure how you come up with that. Well trained warriors are absolutely essential to our survival. There are lots of other things where money is wasted, but the military in general is not one of them.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
The jets everyone in Davis and surrounding areas are F/A 18 C D Models Hornets, F/A 18 E F Rhinos ( Super Hornets) the C And E Models are single seat D and F are two sweaters. The easy way to tell difference between the C D models and E F models is the intake, the C D are round and the E F are triangle shape. The best way for any type of unit identification is to look at the Vertical Stabilizers on the back the Navy uses a two digit code for which Carrier Air Wing the Jet belongs to for the East Coast they use A and N for the West Coast = AA, AB, AC, AE, AF, AG, and AJ. If you could happen to see what picture is also on the Vert. Stab. you can tell the actual squadron. A Vert stab painted all red with bLack Top is VFA 32. The Top Hatters. Go to NAS. Ocean's web page to see all this info.
The other jets mainly flying here are F 15c out of Langley VA, and F 15e out of Seymour Johnson SC. If they are bigger than Civilian Airlines then C 17s out of Martinsburg and C 130s from everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia