Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 39,408 times

Advertisements

HI -- I am thinking of moving to Hedgesville and would like to get a sense of the lifestyle and surrounding cities. Looking for some peace and quiet from the city. And are you able to get high speed internet? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rudy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 08:32 PM

66 posts, read 285,921 times
I moved from the area about a year and a half ago. I lived in Martinsburg / Inwood area which was about 15 minutes away. Hedgesville is alright. There is not really a town per se. They have a small area with a post office etc. The whole area is getting built up. Hedgesville is cheaper than probably Martinsburg and definitely cheaper than Charles Town. I am not sure of your race, but it is still a little rural out there and some people are not very open to people of any other race than white. The school is one of the better schools in the area. Martinsburg which is close by is getting fairly built up and house prices are going through the roof because just about everyone takes the train into DC to work and there are not a lot of job opportunities there. Part of my family still lives in the area and they say it does not seem to be getting any better. So I am not sure what you are looking for but I know the house prices will continue to go up and the area will become more and more crowded. Hope this helps. Oh and most of Hedgesville will probably get high speed interent access, but depends if you are way off in the mountains.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJ
HI -- I am thinking of moving to Hedgesville and would like to get a sense of the lifestyle and surrounding cities. Looking for some peace and quiet from the city. And are you able to get high speed internet? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rudy.
If you are looking for peace and quiet, then I would not look to Berkeley County West Virginia.
I was born and raised in Martinsburg, lived in Hedgesbush, and graduated from Hedgesville High School.
You will be lucky to get HS Internet
Homes are overpriced
There is NO Zoning, thus NO homeowners protection

Berkeley and Jefferson has become a pure bedroom community for DC and maintaining the mindset of good ole boy politics.

If you don't work in DC, don't expect to find a high paying job in an area that has a $300K+ housing sticker again with no protection.
If your retired, then make sure your life insurance is paid up if you go for medical care.

If you love the area, which is beautiful I would suggest Frederick County Virginia (Winchester) equal pricing with good amenities and quality health care.

If you want West By God, then head to Berkeley Springs in Morgan County but don't expect HS Internet

Good Luck

Old 07-18-2006, 04:58 AM

10 posts, read 39,408 times
Thanks so much for your reply and your information. It is a real eye opener. We are a retired couple and of course zone protection and health care are priorities. High speed internet is critical for me because I do consulting via video conferencing and the like. We currently live 15 minutes from DC and are simply tired of the congestion--but not exhausted!! I would imagine that FEDEX delivery would be an issue also? -- In my consultant work I need access to FedEx on a daily basis. -- Good weather and bad -- don't know what it is like in the winter? Any further thoughts. Thanks again. Rudy.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,047 times
The company I worked for paid FedX to make weekly pick up's from my home in Hedgesville. Never a problem.

DSL is available to some areas in Hedgesville. Cablespeed in others. Also Sattelite (although it is pricey)

Usually the winter storm clean up's are smooth and swift. There are only two times in the last 11 years I remember being 'snowed in'- I believe the whole Northeast coast was shut down as well (due to ice and snow)

Old 08-14-2006, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,924 times
Rudy...

My family and I have lived here for teh past 10 years in the Inwood area which is about 15 minutes from Hedgesville. My wife was born and raised here.. but moved away to college where we met and we only returned in order to help with her ailing father.

As for Hedgesville, I can tell you what I know based on the fact that we lived there for about a year before buying in Inwood. Hedgesville is still rural, and is very REDNECK.

Th cost of living and houses there is the same as all of the surrounding areas of Martinsburg. There is very little in Hedgesville other than a Food Lion and Burger King. You will have to go to Martinsburg to get what you need. Cell Phone coverage in Hedgesville is poor also, and the snow removal is slow except on Rt 9 which is the main road. When I say slow... think Sloth.

Unless you live in a development as we do, you can forget about zoning. There is none. If it were not for the covenants we have, someone could very easily open a bar or used car lot next to you without you being able to do anything.

I live only 2 miles from I-81 and 1 mile from Rt 11, the two main roads through the area. I also only live about 10 minutes from downtown Martinsburg, and only 12 miles from Winchester, VA. Our neighborhood is very nice, quiet, peaceful and it's covenants protect you from the nonsense that the county will not. We have easy access to high speed internet, and unlike the northern or other parts of the county, we have "public sewer" and not septic tanks!!!! The rest of the county does not have sewer and some areas still do not have public water.

mod cut

Last edited by Yac; 08-14-2006 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJ
Hedgesville is a very large area, if you consider the zip code. It runs from the Potomac Rice on the north to the Virginia line on the south side (Rt 45).
The county is a bedroom community for Washington Metro area. Depending on where you reside, hs internet is available from the cable company, but verizon only offers it in the Martinsburg area.

Houses are expensive, but the market is stabilizing depending on where you decide to reside. It's location alloows you to work in the metro area and yet enjoy the quiet relaxing county life. With 3 trains leaving every morning for the city, communting isn't bad.

If you have kids, the county schools, Hedgesville & Musselman are great. Martinsburg is turning to an "inner" city type school.

Not knoowing you house desires, it is hard to tell you where to look and the best areas.

Don't hesitate to ask for more info.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Rudy,

I am going to lay my heart on my sleeve for you.

Thinking about moving to Berkeley of Jefferson? Turn the car around hit the gas, burn the rubber and run!!!

As I stated above, I was born and raised in downtown Martinsburg, moved to Hedgesville at 11, grad from HHS.

In other words I grew up in Mayberry and left Washington DC.

Read my statement above, there is NO Zoning, NO Homeowners protection, and the schools are sub par. Yes, Martinsburg HS is turning inner city, has been since 1979. The main reason my parents moved to Hedgesville way back in 1977 was to get me in HHS. Yes, it was excellent all right! Wall to wall drugs, it was so bad at one point that we only had one bathroom to use because the teachers could not monitor the drug use and the vandals in the other ones. Yep! we actually had a couple times with the State Police in the school, once for student arrest and another to arrest one of the kids felon dads from TommieHawk (borders H'ville) for giving physical threat to a teacher for failing Bubba. Ok, enough about the past.

Present,
Move forward 25 years (I left for good in 1992) population in Berkeley is now 100,000. Crime is above the national average, infrastructure though is still equal to 1955.

I'm so sorry to be such a negative Nelli, my family was there for 5 generations, buried in Green Hill and Rosedale. I pray everyday that the Burg and the Bush will go back to the Mayberry it once was, but we know that is only a dream. For now, I work everyday to get my older parents the heck out of there.

Good Luck,

Old 08-15-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain
Rudy...

As for Hedgesville, I can tell you what I know based on the fact that we lived there for about a year before buying in Inwood. Hedgesville is still rural, and is very REDNECK.

mod cut
Inwood calling Hedgesbush REDNECK

No that's the pot calling the kettle black

Worked as a kid at the Texaco off Exit 5 on 81 (Inwood) robbed twice.
Buck Hill (Inwood) home of some good shine runners of the past.
Go 5 miles past Inwood Elementary and you can see a beer swillin redneck concert on Saturday night and a possible KKK meeting.
Woops, and we all know you can visit your neighbor in Bunker Hill and spend some quality time at the lovely high class Piggy's Club...

Inwood not Redneck? My friend, 40 gallons of liquid Bon Ami could not scrub the good ole boy out of Inwood.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:58 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
my parents have had a weekend place outside of hedgesville for 25+years.ive lived here full time for the last 3 years and i like it a lot better than the wash dc area where im from.there are a lot of problems in the martinsburg schools but the hedgesville ones Arent too bad yet.[at least compared to pg co md]most of the developments have covenants.real estate has really shot up the last 2 years but still low compared to dc area.fedex is no problem,highspeed internet available most places.most of the wash dc refugees like living at 'the woods resort'.you live close enough to come up on weekends and get a general 'feel' for the place.almost anything is available in martinsburg,which is only 10-20 minutes away and everything else in hagerstown,md or winchester,va.i drive to dc area every day for work but traffic isnt too bad until you get south of fredrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia