Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM

10 posts, read 22,617 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously thinking about having a home built; however, we have reservations about the community Maddex Farm and the city Shepherdstown…well actually about West Virginia as a whole. Currently we live in Germantown, MD and work in DC. From what I have read from previous blog responses, Maddex Farm is a nice community but my main concerns are:

~Diversity – Is the community and the city multi-cultural (African-American, Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian, etc)?

~Child Care – How do parents who commute to DC/MD/VA pick up their children in time before day care closes at 5:30pm? Are there any nearby day care centers that have extended hours?

~School System – According to the US Bureau of Statistics WV has the one of lowest educational achievement level? Please correct me if I am wrong.

~Medical Services – How far away is the nearest hospital(s) or out patient medical treatment center(s)

Your comments are truly appreciated…

Thanks so much,
Anerley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 04:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Default I don't believe WV Schools are bad

I obtained this through www.wtaptv.com:

Charleston, W.Va. (AP) -- West Virginia's graduating high school seniors scored above the nationwide average on the critical reading and writing sections of the SAT exam but did worse in mathematics.
The College Board, which owns the most widely used college-admissions test, said the 3,373 seniors who took the test in West Virginia through March 2009 had an average score of 511 in reading, 501 in math and 499 in writing.
The national averages are 501 in reading, 515 in math and 493 in writing.
Scores were down somewhat from 2008, when 3,427 students averaged 512 in reading, 501 in math and 498 in writing.
(Copyright 2009 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
I grew up in Shepherdstown and still visit fairly regularly. I find the town area itself crazy appealing now that I've been gone for 18 years. ;-) No, really, when I left very little of what is now drawing people to the place was there yet. I never thought I'd be one of those people who want to go back. It isn't too likely, but I do find it appealing, I think totally apart from the fact that I grew up there.

Have you visited the town at all yet? It's not so far from Germantown to drive out and check it out, less than an hour drive I would think at non-peak times. For a town of its size it's rather unusual. The college helps, of course. I think there's a fair amount of diversity for its size, or if anything is lacking in diversity it is made up in acceptance. For the most part, anyway. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the place now feels like a cross of trendy weekend spot and hippy college town. ;-)

DC commuting was just starting when I lived there, but now it is obviously quite common. I do hope your work hours and locations allow for taking the train, or you work in suburban Virginia, as driving through Frederick at peak times is pretty hideous. That section of 270 past Germantown is where all the worst backup happens both inbound mornings and outbound afternoons. The MARC stop at "Duffields" is just a few miles south of Shepherdstown. Not sure of parking lot crowding these days.

Maddex Farm. Just outside town, behind the Food Lion. That should be convenient. Presumably you can walk to that plaza, though that might depend upon just how far back things go in the development these days. Short drive into downtown if you need anything there, could even walk if you're feeling adventurous. I couldn't say what the diversity right in Maddex Farm is, if that is a question. I suspect that many of the people who buy houses there are like you, moving farther out and commuting. It could be diverse, or not, hard to say apart from actually seeing who lives there, which I haven't. I have a friend who was unhappy with Ryan Homes, if that is a worry. That was here in Pittsburgh, but I wouldn't expect things to be that different. If the big draw for you is a new construction house, though, as opposed to the town and such, you may want to throw the Ryan anecdote into the mix.

How people deal with child care and getting home late I do not know. This place Shepherdstown Day Care, Inc. Child Development Center has been there for decades and was always about diversity (I can tell you first hand; about 35 years ago I used to go there), but it still charges a penalty fee after 5:30. There may be places that have extended hours, but my hunch is there is more in-home care or people who shift their hours to be home by then, even from far away. Could take some digging, but if this is the only hurdle left and you like everything else, my guess is there is some solution.

Public school. Hm. I don't know what it's like now, not even really a hint. 20 years ago when I graduated from Jefferson High, I did okay. The district was one of the best in the state as I recall. How that matched up with elsewhere in the country, not really sure. More growth has happened on the other side of Jefferson County, and I read somewhere they are adding a second high school now. Not sure how that will affect things. Could be better, worse, maybe some of each, and I don't know where each of these high schools would draw from. The elementary and middle schools are right in town, though.

Medical. Martinsburg is where we always went. There may be a doc or two with offices in town somewhere, but City Hospital is roughly 10 miles away to the west, and many of the doctors have offices near the hospital. There is also at least one practice that runs an urgent care clinic there, but the location is less than 1/2 mile from the hospital anyway. Let's hope you wouldn't need it, but while we're on this, might as well note that the Shepherdstown ambulances are housed at the fire department building just across Rt 45 from Maddex Farm. There are also medical services in Charles Town including another hospital, but particularly from where your house would be, Martinsburg is a tick closer.

Hope this helps a little. Since I don't live there now, I don't have a huge amount of in-depth up-to-date info, but I do try to keep up with things a bit.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,510 times
Welcome to the area!
I live just outside Shepherdstown, have friends and clients in Maddex Farm, and have appraised many of the homes there. As Greg says (hi greg, I graduated from Jefferson about 24 years ago) Shepherdstown, known as Georgetown West to some, is a unique place with quite a mix of attitudes and people. You have the college students, the profs, the 'green farmer' types, the retiring Washington politicos in Cress Creek and the nature folks from out at the training center.' All intermixed with a small population of life long West Virginians still 'clinging to their guns and religion.'

Maddex Farm: Maddex was one of the worst hit in value declines in the area, Ryan Homes has dropped prices accordingly, but will still overcharge on any options you choose. Builder base prices are $212,990 to $249,990 without incentives. Re-sales are listed from $205,000 to $284,225 (2 of these are under contract) Personally I don't understand the draw to Maddex Farm; there are many better s/d's in the area or homes not in s/d's.

Diversity: The area has become quite racially diverse over the past 15 years. Shepherdstown is also the most 'blue' area of the Eastern Panhandle. Shepherdstown University was just listed as the top bacclaureate college/university in WV and #40 amongst Southern Colleges/Universities.

Child Care: There are a few day care facilities in Shepherdstown, but one of the best in the county is Cheers day care off the bypass in Kearneysville Cheers School Family

School System: Has gotten better in the past 10 years. I would contend though that a child's progress has more to do with effort from the child and parents than from the system. I can't speak to specifics because we home shcool our children.

Medical: Jefferson Memorial & City Hospital are both an easy drive. City in Martinsburg has been expanding and updating recently. There is a new Jefferson Hospital in the planning phase. By far the best in the region is Winchester Medical Center which is a 40 minute drive.

Clint

Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM

25 posts, read 78,057 times
Hi Anerley,
We have lived in Maddex Farms for just about a year, and as previously stated the homes have declined in value, bad for us, good for you. The base price start's in the 180's. We love this little community, it is very diverse and most of us have come from out of state. I have met folks from NY, PA, Neveda, a lot from Maryland and few (like us) from NJ. Everyone is friendly, hope you like to wave a lot.

The town/community benefit a lot from the Shepherd U. and downtown German street is a nice place to stroll on and have a nice dinner or a quick dinner, depends on what you want.

Not very familiar with child care as my kids are older, but I believe that a brand new day care center was recently completed on the other side of town.

Schools, eh - no better or worse from were we came from in NJ. Our interaction with the school our 1st year here was for the most part positive. My daughter had a couple teachers at Jefferson we were not thrilled with. We have had no experience with the new High School down past Charles town, but we have not hear great things from the kids.

They are building a brand new elmentary school around the corner from Jefferson High School. They just started grading the lot.

In regard to the local hospitals, we spent some time at City Hosptial last year, the wait was a little long. The urgent care centers are new to us, so depending on the medical condition, you may want to check them out first.

Anyway - we do love the area, if you are coming from a fast paced area it takes getting use to.
We have no regrets.

Best of luck to you in your decisions.

StevenMimi -
Canal Dr.
Maddex Farm

Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Anerley,

I forgot to mention -
I commute to Reston, VA everyday for work. No train to that area, unfortuantely. Average commute time is 1hr 15mins. Best time was just about an hour. Worst (due to an accident on the toll rd.) was almost 3 hours. ug. Anyway - the commute stinks, but everyday I cross the bridge into Harpers Ferry and see the views of the Potomac, it makes it worth it.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Ya but that stinkin' stop light right there in VA on 340 really clogs up that drive. Ugh.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Ya but that stinkin' stop light right there in VA on 340 really clogs up that drive. Ugh.
yea - it does - but it's really only bad on the weekends.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM

40 posts, read 143,971 times
Reservations about WV and Shepherdstown? Sounds like a lot of people from Maryland but really you shouldn't have them. I moved to the eastern panhandle at about age 10. I'm a product of WV schools (Berkeley County) and I'm doing just fine. Shepherdstown is one of my favorite towns in the country. It's just a cool place. I've never known anybody to hate it. Heck, I've never known anybody to not immediately fall in love with it. No place is perfect but if i could live anywhere in the US, it would probably be Shepherdstown. I'm getting ready to move to Maryland from Mississippi, so at least I'll be able to visit fairly often.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM

10 posts, read 22,617 times
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all your meaningful responses . I didn't think I would get any replies and hope I did not come across the wrong way with my questions. Moving to WV is a huge decision, moreover, buying a new home – but your responses have put my heart at ease a little .

My husband and I did get a chance to see the community today, in addition, my mother and little sister accompanied us. The neighborhood was nice; however, I did think the streets were a little narrow. I also didn’t understand the water drainage system in front of the yard being so noticeable , but according to the agent at Ryan, due to building restrictions/regulations that is how the community is set up. I did notice the shopping center at the beginning of the community and the fact that it’s close by does help. My mother and sister experienced a 25 minute wait at the McDonalds though. Never been to a McDonalds where the cashier is the same person who prepares the fold and there is only one service line open !?!

One thing that I do find interesting about WV is that people drive fast. When we were on Shepherdstown Pike and another main road that I can’t think of the name of (but you pass Jefferson High School and the MARC train station where you can park at), we were driving about 8 miles over the speed limit and people will pass on the left and jump right in front of us - we thought it was hilarious - It was as if the main road was 495 Belt-way !

As far as my concerns, we did get a chance to consult with the agents and one family in the community. Their answers pretty much matched many of your comments regarding the medical services, day care, and commuting. With work , most likely, I will be partially telecummuting. When it comes to the educational system, I do agree with Clintsullivan’s comment – you can’t rely on the school system completely to educate your children, parent’s have to play a critical role as well. I will see what information I can find about the new elementary school and high school that was mentioned. Nevertheless, if anyone finds out any information, please let me know for I would be very grateful .

With the home value at Maddex Farm, I’m going to see if my realtor can get me the comps for the community; however; the special that Ryan has on the Courtland model looks pretty reasonable. My husband and I have pretty much made up our minds after discussing the figures – West Virginia here we come !

Thanks all for your help .
~Anerley~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia