Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times

Advertisements

I returned a couple of weeks ago from a family reunion in Princeton WV. What beautiful country and wonderful weather, for some one who lives in Texas with 100 degrees and a drought.

I had a great time on this trip, both of my parents and grand parents were born in WV, and I was born there in 1955, so it is always a pleasure to return to your roots. We moved north, like so many, in 1963, but returned often for reunions, vacations, and deaths. The scenary of hills, the valleys, the mountains and breathing clean mountain air, always revived my spirits and soul.

But travelling thru the downtown area of Princeton was depressing. Yes, I've noticed it has been sliding downwards for decades, but this time it hit me hard. I remember as a youngster the stores in the downtown area, GC Murphy. Leggetts, A&P, Santons, Tomchins, Lynch's, the small cafes, and the people walking up and down busy sidewalks.

Everything is now pretty much gone, the stores have closed or moved to busier areas of the town, people are shopping at the new stores. I'd hate to describe some of the people who walk the downtown streets now, because I don't want to sound judgemental.

I know this has happened to most small towns all across the USA. But this saddens me deeply because it happened to my birthplace.

And I know that the town has the potential and the people to be a very good town again.

Not posting this to irritate anyone, I just needed to get this off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
All it takes in the marginal towns is to change the traffic patterns...build One Walmart and its all over...for good.

City fathers have a cloistered way about them in not wanting any change...keeping the competition out until the competition takes the market.

(Walmart at one time was a great idea...now, its the Jobber for China...)

The only hope for these downtown areas is to re-surge those fronts with chic businesses...Grafton is doing it...Phillipi with their college is doing it..even Fairmont, with the new mexican resturant looks hopefull. and that's a real shocker...

The killer? 2% B & O Taxes...have that and you have stagnation forever.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM

David,

Yes you're right. I remember in the early 1960s how my family was complaining about the traffic problem and lack of parking in downtown Princeton. The stores then moved near the interstate and Stafford Drive.

I didn't see a lot of chic businesses on my trip, mostly tattoo parlors, resale shops, etc. I think if investors with money could open up several boutiques, cafes, etc, they could do well. There are a few "seeds" being planted, but it doesn't seem to spread.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Many present businesses are weathering the Obama Economic Catastrophie poorly.
A vendor I use travels our region as far as Pittsburgh. He was in the office yesterday and we were talking about 'Market Trends.
He said, "There is no profitable market in the home building industry and we will see the lumber providers go under this year...some may make it through, but most cannot keep the lights on indefinitely."

I asked, "Any Federal help?"

He replied, "I can get loans for equiptment and materials...but they don't realize that I need a buyer and demand for my product."
"Why would I buy product if I can't sell it?"

Case in point....and I'm watching my competitors go bankrupt because they cannot service their debt.

The big crunch is coming...so far 21 modular home builders did not renew their business licenses in West Virginia...that's a lot for 55 counties...More are going under and many have paid a great price to stay in business.
Me? ..ha ha ha
I'm here now and I will be here in the spring...hope there's a market for housing then.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 AM

136 posts, read 443,534 times
The demise of downtown Princeton was a long process. The upgrading of the road to the Mercer Mall helped the demise. The addition of a Wal-Mart just outside of the city limits next to the WV Turnpike killed it for good. No need to even go into Princeton anymore.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM

I remember when I was a teenager in the early 1970s, I could walk from my late grandmother's house, east of the city on Oakvale Rd, to the Courthouse and back. I use to stop in many of the stores located in the downtown area, and eat lunch at a cafe (Woolwines?). It was always an interesting walk, going past the fountain at the Athens crossroad, over the bridge west of Thorn School (I attended first and second grade there), Douglas Sporting Goods, Western Auto, and some of the stores I mentioned above. I had aunts and a cousin working in some of the stores.

It is still a beautiful area of the state, and perhaps when I retire I will have a spring to fall home there. I miss the area, but not the winters.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
I grew up in Princeton, WV. Left in 1979. Returned just a while back. I wept a lot driving in the area, and downtown. I grew up in an area called the "Lily Highway Addition. My grandfather, Henry Belcher, bought a home from a Mr. Frazier in 1953. All of my family line of Belcher's were coal-miners.
My aunt use to buy all of her furniture from Tomchin's. Wilson Pastle use to do a lot of "handy-man" work for my grandfather. Even the old beautiful Princeton Post Office is cob-webs. The Mercer, and LaVon don't have a beam left standing. The Old Virginia yard and shops are gone, along with the security ghost of Mr. William Croy. What is left is what the bomb did to Hiroshima. Wal-Mart and the mall destroyed a wonderful way of life.
You could walk the streets in the 50s and early 60s, knowing you were safe. Jimmy's was a great place to eat. Anybody remember Skeen's or Laxton's? Mercer motors and Mr. Thomas Barton.
My memories are much sweeter than anything I just recently saw.

I wonder if the "locals" are happy with the "Change"?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM

I remember Skeen's and Mercer Motors.

I think I was around the Lily Addition during the fall. A cousin and me were looking for an old abandoned Indian grave where a distant relative was buried.

I think Hills Department store, Mercer Mall, and the development around Stafford Drive did downtown Princeton in. It had declined considerably before WalMarts.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:38 AM

105 posts, read 273,837 times
I lived in Princeton 1967 -1968 & I remember liking it very well. We rented first on Prince St then on Valley View. I was a Railway Mail Clerk & had to drive to Bluefield to work. Had many snowy drives.
During that time there was a big fuss about the grocery store on the main street opening on Sunday afternoon.
I am glad I won't see it as you now describe it. It was a nice town in those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia