Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you prefer?
Less driving. 4 44.44%
Less traffic. 2 22.22%
More attractive streets. 4 44.44%
Safer night time travel. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM

552 posts, read 738,736 times

Advertisements

Why is it cheaoer to fly in europe compared to the US? If it truly is what are they doing that we arent? I thought gas and just about everything over there was more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Why is it cheaoer to fly in europe compared to the US? If it truly is what are they doing that we arent? I thought gas and just about everything over there was more expensive.
Is it?

Look at distances. Europe is a big place if you consider the whole continent, but it is made up of many countries. N. America is the same size as Europe but made up of a few countries.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I'm not at all sure it is cheaper to fly in Europe, but the do use air less than we do because they have less access to airports, and a better developed rail system. I don't think distances of flight are that much of a factor. Europe and North America are roughly the same size. Airlines don't care that much about political considerations either. Their responsibility ends on the tarmac.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm not at all sure it is cheaper to fly in Europe, but the do use air less than we do because they have less access to airports, and a better developed rail system. I don't think distances of flight are that much of a factor. Europe and North America are roughly the same size. Airlines don't care that much about political considerations either. Their responsibility ends on the tarmac.
They do care about politics. Many airlines, including US ones, receive aid and subsidies from their governments.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They do care about politics. Many airlines, including US ones, receive aid and subsidies from their governments.
Right, but they don't care about the politics of the areas they serve... only the area they operate from. They'd fly you to Timbucktoo if they could make a buck doing it.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Gasoline basically costs the same everywhere now since out elitists have forced us into the "global" marketplace. Now, every hicup and burp in Outer Slavobia is felt here in the form of higher prices and market turmoil. The "global" price of oil determines price now. What does differ is the amount of tax charged on that gasoline. Europe, in general, and especially northern Europe distains operating government with borrowed money. They don't typically run large deficits there, and they tax you through the kazoo.

When you buy a gallon (actually a litre there) of gasoline in Europe, you are paying much more for the tax than you are for the gasoline. I am not certain if those taxes extend to jet fuel. They might well not, which would mean it is no costlier to operate an airplane there than it is here (other than the fact that their flight crews generally don't have nearly the training or experience of those with US Airlines).

Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
It varies from Country to Country , Europe in General is cheaper....with the exception of driving although you do get alot of perks. While gas is more expensive over there , fuel efficiency is higher and speed limits are higher , outside of Germany rural Motorways top out at 90mph , Urban Motorways top out at 60mph and are often underground through large towns and cities which means there left undisturbed... They also cover Motorways in the rural areas to provide farms with some of there land back... As for the taxes they go into the roadway network , they have a separate tax or fund for Rail and Transit. Aside from Taxes some countries like France , Italy , and Spain toll there highways....which has allowed them to build some mega Bridges and some of the worlds longest tunnels 10+ miles...there not done building either. Another 40,000 miles of Super Highways , Tunnels , and Mega Bridges are planned for the next 20 years in the EU.

There High Gas taxes have paided for these projects below...

Le Viaduc de Millau - The Millau Viaduct (http://www.flickr.com/photos/justicebuk/5824694488/ - broken link) by JBizzzay (http://www.flickr.com/people/justicebuk/ - broken link), on Flickr

Denmark, September 2007; The Great Belt Bridge (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8341165@N05/1395653857/ - broken link) by pilsnerjohan (http://www.flickr.com/people/8341165@N05/ - broken link), on Flickr

Gotthard Tunnel 16.9 km with 6X Speed (Switzerland) - YouTube

Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM

I drove in Spain and Germany last year, and gas is MUCH more expensive there. Germany does not toll the roads, but Spain does in addition to the higher gasoline taxes. As to the "perks" you mentioned, I did not see those.

Services are far less accessable there in general, and just like here road conditions vary. They have some top flight expressways, and some outdated ones too. It is true that many speed limits are higher there, and German police to not stop cars for speeding on their autobahn (Interstate) system. They have 100kmh or 120kmh on most of it which is strictly enforced. You get your ticket in the mail issued via speed cameras (it even has your photo behind the wheel right on the ticket). There are some stretches where they have no official speed limits... "reasonable" speed rules apply on such sections. We would do well to adopt such rules here.

I have often thought having police stop cars on expressways causes more danger than if they were simply left alone.

In general, Europe's airline industry is not as well developed as ours, the highway system is basically a wash, and their train system is better developed.

I took a commuter train for 7 stops in Frankfurt last summer. The cost was just over 7 euros or about 9 dollars. It is more expensive to travel by car or train in Europe. I don't know about airline fare comparisons.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
I have often thought having police stop cars on expressways causes more danger than if they were simply left alone..
Me too. Especially on narrow highways with limited visibility. It seems sort of an antiquated idea to have a police officer physically interact with you for speeding. "Send me a bill," you know?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
I drove in Spain and Germany last year, and gas is MUCH more expensive there. Germany does not toll the roads, but Spain does in addition to the higher gasoline taxes. As to the "perks" you mentioned, I did not see those.

Services are far less accessable there in general, and just like here road conditions vary. They have some top flight expressways, and some outdated ones too. It is true that many speed limits are higher there, and German police to not stop cars for speeding on their autobahn (Interstate) system. They have 100kmh or 120kmh on most of it which is strictly enforced. You get your ticket in the mail issued via speed cameras (it even has your photo behind the wheel right on the ticket). There are some stretches where they have no official speed limits... "reasonable" speed rules apply on such sections. We would do well to adopt such rules here.

I have often thought having police stop cars on expressways causes more danger than if they were simply left alone.

In general, Europe's airline industry is not as well developed as ours, the highway system is basically a wash, and their train system is better developed.

I took a commuter train for 7 stops in Frankfurt last summer. The cost was just over 7 euros or about 9 dollars. It is more expensive to travel by car or train in Europe. I don't know about airline fare comparisons.
Yes there Highways vary depending on the state or Province there in , but there safer then ours in terms of less accidents and design. As for there Highway network its very extensive with the exception of the Northern and Eastern Countries...were Highways are limited to built up areas. But there constructing a super highway network in phases...so the gaps should be closed within 2 decades. As for Transit , I know they have specialized tourist fares which are all day passes for 4 or 6 euros some countries its free.... In terms of speed limits i was talking about Europe in general , Germany is different.

Extensive Highway networks...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia