Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Man do we plow through some venison each year. I make some pretty good ramp/venison salami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Down here in Summers county, I've seen a couple really nice bucks around the mountain. The deer all appear to eating well, and they look plump and healthy. Couple nice bear pictures from my neighbors pond would indicate the bears have been eating well too (hope the picture comes through)! Perhaps they're packing on a few extra pounds in expectaion of a hard winter.

~Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Guess in which state you're most likely to hit a deer?-bear.jpg  

Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Down here in Summers county, I've seen a couple really nice bucks around the mountain. The deer all appear to eating well, and they look plump and healthy. Couple nice bear pictures from my neighbors pond would indicate the bears have been eating well too (hope the picture comes through)! Perhaps they're packing on a few extra pounds in expectaion of a hard winter.

~Mark
Thats a little scarey with the ladder there by the tree......I would be freaking out. Bite your tongue Mark about the hard winter , I know we are in for one but I really hate to see it come .

Old 10-02-2009, 05:23 AM

300 posts, read 819,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post

~Mark
Nice pic.

I live in downtown Charleston. My herd : counted 15 in one sighting (add 2009 births). There's two large older doe regulars at night. A medium-sized doe with a single fawn lays in my nieghbor's yard at night like it's his pet dog, I think mostly because it puts a fence between her and milking. Two young bucks 4 to 6 points are regulars at night, although a neighbor reports there are two older bucks I haven't seen yet (making the herd 17+). A smaller doe with twins is a regular during daylight.

WV Urban Deer Hunts :
Barboursville
Bridgeport
Charleston
Weirton
Wheeling

Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Part of the reason I've heard that WV vehicle insurance is as high as it is.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:11 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Yep, I can say that I have hit one in WV .

On Route 9, there were 3 in the road and I slowed down and they scattered.....I had gotten down to about 5 miles an hour when a little one turned around and ran back in front of me. It was around Christmas time and was listening to Grandma got run over by a reindeer. The bad part is later on in the night my son said I killed Rudolph and I busted out in tears. Actually the deer didn't die but someone that stopped knew someone who was going to go back and shot it after we left.
I sympathize with you. We've hit two thus far. Suppose in the 15 years time we've lived in WV and done our daily commutes, that's a pretty good record. Too bad the insurance companies won't give us all a discount based on that fact alone.

Most vivid memory. Early morning commute driving Rt 9 down to Virginia and was just clearing the one curve, rounding the other. Big sucker was standing right there in the middle of the road for us. There was no way we could have seen it in time. I remember seeing it's eyes as it slid ride off the road. Hard not to think of the deer's families and knowing that they won't see them anymore. As if we don't feel bad enough until like Janipoo's son or any of our friend's have to point us out and remind us of that fact.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I sympathize with you. We've hit two thus far. Suppose in the 15 years time we've lived in WV and done our daily commutes, that's a pretty good record. Too bad the insurance companies won't give us all a discount based on that fact alone.

Most vivid memory. Early morning commute driving Rt 9 down to Virginia and was just clearing the one curve, rounding the other. Big sucker was standing right there in the middle of the road for us. There was no way we could have seen it in time. I remember seeing it's eyes as it slid ride off the road. Hard not to think of the deer's families and knowing that they won't see them anymore. As if we don't feel bad enough until like Janipoo's son or any of our friend's have to point us out and remind us of that fact.
When I hit mine and we were standing on the side of the road I heard something but wasn't sure what it was but thought it sounded weird and a little scarey, later when I was telling my parents they said it was the buck out of the distance.....that they are never that far away from the pack and he was crying out for his family.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:22 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
According to the Bangor Daily News - Maine is the state you are most likely to hit a deer. The deer population in Maine is 4 times the human population,

Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
According to the Bangor Daily News - Maine is the state you are most likely to hit a deer. The deer population in Maine is 4 times the human population,
I'll take a white tail or mule deer over a Moose any day!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
... it was the buck out of the distance.....that they are never that far away from the pack and he was crying out for his family.
The mature bucks only travel with the "pack" for one reason and then only during mating season. If a buck 'cried out' after you hit a doe it wasn't because he was sad that he had lost one of his 'family'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia