U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM

62 posts, read 195,851 times

Advertisements

right now i have narrowed it down to hampshire,hardy,grant,pendleton,randolph,tucker,ba rbour,taylor and preston counties....anyone got any info on these or can tell me what theyre like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,727,598 times
Pendelton county is very sparsly populated, with some absolutely amazing scenic views, Grant and Hardy are fairly small in population, Petersburg and Moorefield are small towns there with population roughly around 2,000 people each. Randolph county has a lot of recreational oppourtunities and has Elkins, the regional economic hub of the surrounding counties. The eastern side of the county has less mountains and as you get closer to the western side you can start seeing them rise up the skyline higher and higher. I could probably provide you with a much more detailed description if you're interested. Just like me know. Preston county is a lot like Randolph, but its closer to Morgantown. Barbour county is pretty small and nothing really going on there in the way of development or jobs. Taylor county, well i've only drove through it on a back road to Morgantown, but I know that Grafton is fairly close to Clarksburg, Fairmont, and Morgantown but its a small town.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:07 PM

yea any and all info is helpful...i need to narrow these counties down lol....any of them have problems with alot of crime? corruption? anything like that??

Old 05-10-2007, 09:30 AM

Well, naturally the counties with higher populations and the counties that are closer to the higher populations have more crime than say small population areas. Pendelton, Grant, Tucker, and Hardy generally have lower amounts of crime compared to Randolph, Preston, and Taylor counties. Crime is not really rampid in any of the counties you were listed above though. The highest crime areas in the state are in Charleston and Huntington, the largest cities in the state, and they're over 2 hours away. North Central WV is generally a great place to live with a very low crime rate. Corruption. I've personally never heard of that a lot. Occasionaly maybe once every 5-10 years some minor, but nothing enough to catch my eye. If you need anything else... just ask

Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM

which would be the best area to live where im close to elkins but not right on top of it? im talkin maybe 20-30 miles from a good sized city like elkins....also how would i find rentals up there?

Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 PM

I would go with something still in Randolph county... Because its huge... basically. Maybe something on route 33 towards Harman? or on US 219 towards Huttonsville. They are plenty out in the country, but within 30-45 minutes to Elkins. I'm sorry this took so long to respond to, I just moved into a new apartment and had to wait to get the cable and net hooked up.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM

117 posts, read 193,311 times
I would go with Buckhannon. Theres hardly any crime in WV anyway no matter where it is unless you are Oxy-crazy.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 AM

NO! NO NO NO NO!!! Wrong !!! Wrong!!! Wrong!!! I highly advise this as a no, clearly

Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 PM

117 posts, read 193,311 times
Default awww why?

why do you say no honey?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 PM

I do not like Buckhannon... I never have... plus its Elkins' arch enemy at..... everything. I just don't like it, I really don't want to say why. Anyway, lets just talk about other places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia