U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM

307 posts, read 624,392 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Try not to watch too much cable news or read political message boards.
I don't..

Quote:
Instead, examine and enjoy the bounty of your life. Relish the little things and and don't take for granted the pleasures of food, friends, family, safety, sex, curiosity and love.
My quest is to find savory, healthful, earth-friendly edibles to share with family, friends. But I really like sex! Should I give it up?

Quote:
Live Life--YOUR life, not those of people on TV or in the news--really is beautiful if you really take the time to examine it.
I don't...

Quote:
"meditate"
Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing.

Quote:
pray
If the answers to prayer are merely what God wills all along, then why pray?

Quote:
give thanks
I thank my self every day. Through efforts and hard work of my own. I have what I have. Not God's will.

Last edited by convex20899; 10-21-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM

17,483 posts, read 15,463,949 times
[quote=convex20899;11283934]
Quote:

I don't..

My quest is to find savory, healthful, earth-friendly edibles to share with family, friends. But I really like sex! Should I give it up?

I don't...

Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing.

If the answers to prayer are merely what God wills all along, then why pray?

I thank my self every day. Through efforts and hard work of my own. I have what I have. Not God's will.
Who said anything about God? Gratitude does imply religiosity. And I'd be willing to bet most of what you "have" is due to the luck of being born into certain circumstances. As it is for all of us.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Luck is for the weak. We make our own destiny.

Quote:
born into certain circumstances. As it is for all of us.
Please, I have made my own means. No one has given me a damn thing. No silver, gold or Platinum spoon stuck in this mouth.

You said pray. If one does not pray to God. Whom does one pray to?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM

17,483 posts, read 15,463,949 times
Prayer can simply be meditation. I use the term generically.

Quote:
Please, I have made my own means. No one has given me a damn thing. No silver, gold or Platinum spoon stuck in this mouth.
That is very simplistic. I am talking about the luck of circumstance. Were you born with Down's syndrome or severe autism? Were you abused as a child and raised in foster care? Do you have a serious mental illness? Did you start life parentless in a favela in Brazil? Were you a product of soldier rape in Congo? Were you born with HIV?

OR are you healthy, American, able-bodied and of average intellect?

My point is, by the very fact of being born in the developed world, healthy, able and parented, you are vastly ahead of many of the world's inhabitants from the moment of birth. No, it wasn't handed to you. But you started life with advantages not enjoyed by the majority of the world.

I would say that given the alternatives to starting life the way you did, you have much to be grateful for. As do we all. Life could have been very different but for luck.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
There is a common energy in our universe. It is a power of light, intelligence and truth on one side and evil, darkness and negativity on the other.

The fool will not try to connect to the higher power because of his ignorance.

The wise man will endeavor to connect to his own kind...those of intelligence, truth and light...
He feels the commonality and seeks to return to them...

Meditation is a tool used to connect to this power, to reach out to it spiritually and usher in its refreshing peace...

Our indian brothers knew the sacred nature of West Virginia..sometimes its so strong I can hear her voice calling...it is positive, uplifiting and peaceful.

An old sacred Indian site exists in Wetzel county...I think I'll go there next week...almost forgot about that place...thanks for the reminder...
a prayer that you all will reach that level of peace for your spirits..

Last edited by David Kennedy; 10-21-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Amazing insight David. My point of view is. Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Zentropa,

Quote:
Prayer can simply be meditation. I use the term generically.
You listed them separately in the original post. If a person is praying they, must be praying to G.A.O.T.U (The Grand Architect of the Universe) or a Deity of some form?

Quote:
Were you born with Down's syndrome or severe autism?
No..

Quote:
Were you abused as a child and raised in foster care?
Yes...No..

Quote:
Do you have a serious mental illness?
Hell yeah!! LOL

Quote:
Did you start life parentless in a favela in Brazil?
No...No..

Quote:
Were you a product of soldier rape in Congo? Were you born with HIV?
No..No.. If I understand you correctly. (at least they way I'm reading your comment's.) These people can not better them self's? I disagree. Luck has nothing to do with where you are born, or the cerscimanstaces of one's birth. It what one does with his/her life that defines them. Not their birth right. Believe me, if I were a bastard child born in the Congo (a product of the soldiers rape) I would still be where I am today. A product of my own making.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
Atoms and space are a great part of it all...certainly a beginning for you...congratulations.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 PM

515 posts, read 673,173 times
Quote:
Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.
Yep, but it's how these atoms are arranged and interact with each other that causes opinions to be formed and you know what they say about opinions. Anyway, that's an interesting concept convex.

David, I'm an avid outdoorsman. I love to hunt and fish. I can honestly say that when I'm sitting in my treestand 25 feet up in a tree, watching the sun break up over the horizon and to feel it's warmth on my face, to see the forest floor below me come alive with all it's inhabitants, the smell of the dew lifting from the autumn leaves, it sure feels like Heaven to me. I'm living for the moment, nothing else matters at that time. I thank the Good Lord every day for what he has given me and for all the atoms (for convex...) that he's arranged in my life.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 AM

300 posts, read 752,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Obama watched a football game last weekend. On Monday, he was awarded the Heisman trophy.
Stop, you're hurting me.

LOL!

Last edited by red.ochre; 10-22-2009 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia