U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM

9,734 posts, read 8,374,325 times

Advertisements

I was told the the land owners do NOT own the mineral rights to any land in West Virginia. It was purchased by the coal companies years ago. That is why they are permitted to run their mines for miles under peoples property. Some areas are so unstable that the coal companies are not liable if your home colapses into a sink hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 933 times
If you own mineral rights in WV contact Diana Bartley at bartley4house@yahoo.com she will be able to arrange for leasing of the mineral rights to supply you with income.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM

9,957 posts, read 16,571,689 times
Are you sure the mineral rights were sold? Many years ago coal companies bought up land and mineral rights for a song, from cash-strapped landowners. But, some didn't sell. to this day, the ownership is a crazy quilt My grandfather was one who did NOT sell his mineral rights, I inherited them. They are under lease, not to get too excited, we get about 4150-$100/month royalities, but better than not!

To find out, OP I would contact the above, they could look into it for you, good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 AM

9,734 posts, read 8,374,325 times
I thought the coal companies already owned all the mineral rights to land in West Virginia? That permits them to extend their mining shafts underneath your property to extract whatever they want. You only have mineral rights to what is on the surface.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 AM

6,347 posts, read 8,655,215 times
Coal companies do own most of the mineral rights in WV, but not all of them. Some corrupt deal between Charleston and shady coal company lawyers that would have been illegal in 49 other states, and any developed country. In some corrupt African country it would be normal. Welcome to WV.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,454,484 times
Yes... the city of Charleston is single handedly buying up all the mineral rights for the coal mines... and exploiting West Virginia. Hmmmmmmm.... why don't you put the blame on the ACTUAL legislators that the various 55 counties send to Charleston that let coal companies rape West Virginia...??? There is a thought. How do the delegates from Mon County vote? Rease seemed like a great guy.. and that bologna Moloney guy...business man from Morgantown was all about making WV a right to work state, among other damaging ideas and practices. Hmm, perhaps we should picket in our backyards first... then go to the state capital

Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Yes... the city of Charleston is single handedly buying up all the mineral rights for the coal mines... and exploiting West Virginia. Hmmmmmmm.... why don't you put the blame on the ACTUAL legislators that the various 55 counties send to Charleston that let coal companies rape West Virginia...??? There is a thought. How do the delegates from Mon County vote? Rease seemed like a great guy.. and that bologna Moloney guy...business man from Morgantown was all about making WV a right to work state, among other damaging ideas and practices. Hmm, perhaps we should picket in our backyards first... then go to the state capital
That is what I am doing. By 'Charleston' I mean the state government. It is samilar to how people say 'Washington' to refer to the federal government. Everyone on this forum, except you, understood that.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,164,857 times
Minerals need a definition...
What do they include? ....Everything below the soil level.

Metals...
Gases...
Rock...
Liquids...

and I would add heat where volcanic geo-thermal fissures reach near the surface.

Broadly, ...whatever is marketable.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,637 times
Hi - In researching our property, we found that many times the coal companies bought the coal and the right to mine it only--they did not buy the gas, oil, gravel, limestone, or other minerals (who knows, someday they may find diamonds in these here hills!). As a result, we still own those rights and are looking to lease them so am glad I found this forum.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. A. Hughes View Post
Hi - In researching our property, we found that many times the coal companies bought the coal and the right to mine it only--they did not buy the gas, oil, gravel, limestone, or other minerals (who knows, someday they may find diamonds in these here hills!). As a result, we still own those rights and are looking to lease them so am glad I found this forum.
In millions of years we will have diamonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia