U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM

566 posts, read 1,432,277 times

Advertisements

An easy slip into martial law, if doing so becomes more of an advantage than it already is. Live it up, the free-ranging interwebs will end.

Anyone heard about the microbiologist that went rogue in L.A. three months ago? He called a radio talk show and stated that a vaccine manufacturer was using the shot to advance a flu pandemic (1918 Spanish flu strain maybe) in Ukraine. He was quickly surrounded by SWAT, teargassed, and hauled away. (interesting that he was immune to the gas)

Sounds like a real crackpot, huh?

Coincidentally, there is now, in the past week, a large outbreak of swine and 1918 flu in Ukraine.

Lo and behold, doctors have said that vaccinated people can become carriers.

Also, heard from an unknown source, people receiving the nasal mist can be contagious for four days.

True or not, I have no idea. (disclaimer precludes the need for flames)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM

530 posts, read 969,421 times
My post is not nearly interesting as some.

Declaring a national emergency sounds spooky, to be sure. But its real effects are hardly sinister. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, a declaration of a national emergency allows states and health care providers to apply for a waiver of certain federal rules, primarily those governing Medicare, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. For example, if an overburdened hospital had to move patients to another facility with more resources, the receiving hospital might need a waiver so that it would be allowed to accept more Medicaid patients than normal. These waivers can only be approved if the secretary of HHS has declared a public health emergency and the president has declared a national emergency or major disaster, so it’s useful for them to do so before hospitals get overwhelmed and need to act fast. The rapid spread of flu has already strained some hospitals’ resources.

Swine Flu Emergency? | FactCheck.org

Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM

566 posts, read 1,432,277 times
I forgot a couple of stories I read, and below I'll add what I just came across:

Read an article stating that when vaccine shipments were sent to Ukraine, the lab tested the vaccine on all of their ferrets, all the ferrets died according to the article.

Another article stated a family in Wisconsin (?), all ill with swine flu, had their pet ferret die of swine flu.

Reported Ukraine Cases Top One Million - 174 Fatalities
Recombinomics Commentary 18:41
November 9, 2009

1,031,597 Influenza/ARI

52,742 Hospitalized

174 Dead

The latest update for Ukraine includes more than 1 million reported cases (see map). The fatalities have jumped from 155 to 174 and almost 53K have been hospitalized. The biggest jump in fatalities was in Lviv, where reported deaths rose from 63 to 74. However, the largest jump in cases was in Kiev, raising concerns that the infections were spreading east.

The increase in cases and deaths continue to support a genetic change in the H1N1 virus. However, there have been no updates on samples which were sent to London over a week ago.

The sequence silence continues to increase concerns that the large number of cases and deaths in Ukraine is linked to changes, which may involve the receptor binding domain in general and position 225 in particular.
From: Reported Ukraine Cases Top One Million - 174 Fatalities

WHO Silence on Ukraine Sequences Raises Pandemic Concerns
Recombinomics Commentary 19:01
November 9, 2009

It has now been more than a week since samples from Ukraine were sent to the WHO regional lab, Mill Hill in London. Although comments have been made that at least 15 samples were H1N1 confirmed, and the sequences showed no large changes or resistance to oseltamivir, there have been no updates. The absence of additional information or release of sequences, increases concerns that small changes undergoing further analysis are causing delays.

In the days post shipment, cases in Ukraine have quadrupled to over 1 million and the reported fatalities have grown from 30 to 174. The clinical presentation of 90 of the fatalities was classical H1N1 linked hemorrhagic pneumonia, which led to the "total destruction" of both lungs. These fatal cases were hospitalized 3-7 days after disease onset, highlighting the rapid progression of the infection in a large number of patients, suggesting genetic changes in the H1N1 virus.

Although politicians and media reports continue to downplay the significance by citing a small number of lab confirmed cases or more traditional pneumonia deaths, the number of fatal hemorrhagic cases was unusually large. These deaths involve hemorrhagic pneumonia in previously health young adults. Most deaths were 19-40 years of age. The age group with the second highest totals was 41-55. Thus, the age profile of these cases parallels those seen in other countries in H1N1 infected patients.

Isolates from other countries, including recent isolates from samples from fatal cases In Sau Paula, Brazil had changes at position 225 in the receptor binding domain (D225G and D225N). These recent changes in Brazil raise concerns that there are similar changes in Ukraine.

It is likely that a lack of suspect changes would have led to an announcement that no significant changes were found. Instead WHO has remained silent since Thursday, as concerns increase.

Sequencing should have been largely completed last week and the presence or absence of regional markers should be clear. Release of the sequences or a list of polymorphisms under further investigation would be useful.

The silence on the sequences continues to increase concerns.
From: WHO Silence on Ukraine Sequences Raises Pandemic Concerns

Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,186,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
These deaths involve hemorrhagic pneumonia in previously health young adults. Most deaths were 19-40 years of age. The age group with the second highest totals was 41-55. Thus, the age profile of these cases parallels those seen in other countries in H1N1 infected patients.
This portion I find particularly disturbing, as most pandemic fatalities are those with pre existing weakened immune conditions (infants and elderly etc). Makes me wonder if they couldn't focus their research on that aspect & get a better angle for prevention. Thanks for the info. Beats the pants off the histrionics of the 6'oclock news.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
HB: Good to see that you've returned to the city-data asylum...welcome home!

Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,186,086 times
LOL DK, thanks. I'm gracing your presence because I've quit denying my cold (not virus) and finally got around to updating this old puter of mine. Changes in java script or some such silliness kept my 'play' computer offline.

Guess I won't be putting the garden to bed in a timely fashion (too late for cover crop). Vermiculite, cow manure, lime, sand... cover with sycamore leaves from my neighbor I suppose. Anything else? Those banana peppers still won't quit despite the killer frost and the pineapple sage is ablaze with red flowers. I haven't the heart to cut them down in full bloom. BUT most of the landscaping is under control. Had to learn about drainage schemes, perf pipe gravel fabric cover blah blah this past summer. Bulbs found a home after much ado.

I might have to admit I've overdone it. The nagging reminder I'm not 19 anymore when I'm reaching for the tiger balm. Just don't tell anyone, it'll be our little secret.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
plant a pack of turnip seeds...Charleston will have lots of mild weather for them to grow.

Cozy by the fire this winter...vitamin D...C and a mug of green tea with 2 oz of good brandy before bed will make you feel 19 again...

It's all in the mind any way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or