Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:46 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Wood-Fired Power Plant Part of Nationwide Trend - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=68919 - broken link)
[quote]A nationwide movement toward wood as a renewable source of electricity may be beginning to reach West Virginia.
Proposals for new wood-fired power generation projects have increased across the nation, from one in 2007 to seven in 2008 and a dozen in 2009, according to USA Today, with dozens more in planning — several as big as 100 megawatts.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-12-2012 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: cut - copyrighted article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 AM

515 posts, read 777,852 times
Quote:
The plant will use more than 400,000 tons of wood waste each year, according to Loehr.

West Virginia generates about 12 times that amount of waste each year, about 4.8 million tons, according to the “West Virginia Energy Opportunities” document released by the state Division of Energy in 2007.
Wow, now that's something to think about. I wonder if this waste is going in landfills. This looks like a win win for WV.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM

Some of it goes for wood pellets, some for charcoal (the Kingsford plant in Parsons), but that's usually the sawdust remnants, not slash left over from logging.

We generate a lot of wood waste in a normal year.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Possible reasons why this hasn't been done before:

1) Energy density. How many BTUs are there in a ton of wood?
2) Thermal efficiency. I'm pretty sure that wood burns at a lower temperature than coal (or oil or NG). That affects the sizing of the boilers and turbines, even the piping. And that affects the cost.
3) Emissions. Pollution control techniques for traditional fuels have been under development for decades. Wood-fired plants would present a different set of problems and conditions.
4) Fuel source. As far as I know, slash is usually just left where it falls. So it's a geographically diverse, low density source. Can the slash be recovered from the hillsides and valleys and delivered to the plant (or chipper) at an economical cost?

All of the above are just different aspects of economics. Notice they want to use $100 million in tax free government bonds to build the project. That might just be opportunistic (given the current interest in alternative energy), or it could indicate that the project isn't viable (at current energy prices) without subsidies.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
This is a good idea, like the power plant in Marshall County that produces wallboard from power plant ashes. It provides for employment as well as maximizes use of resources... a win-win.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Like coal, the Btu content varies depending on wood species. I used to covet osage trees for their super high Btu content. Likewise I hated poplar for anything other than campfire wood. But I would assume (just a hunch) that NG and coal have substantially higher Btu's pound for pound.

But I can't imagine that burning wood based carbon is any worse or more difficult than burning coal. Hell, my old woodstove heated 2,200 sq ft no problem, used a cat converter and produced little particulate matter. I'm sure similar technologies can be applied. The slash and waste can be loaded in addition to to the lumber- I mean it's right there and they have trucks hauling the logs out anyway. I've seen dozers/loaders specifically rigged to pick up the debris- pretty capable machines. Or they could chip everything right into a truck or hauling bin. No biggie.

In any event, certainly a win-win. Keep the timber industry chugging, use managed timber- Just seems like peas and carrots. It's another method of keeping folks employed and diversifying our energy base.

(And so they received a grant and assistance- Like the oil companies and other industries don't receive their share of corporate welfare, lol.)

Last edited by Threerun; 10-25-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 11:37 AM

and after posting that I lit a fire in the fireplace. I just got back from a 1 1/2 hour ride and my legs need some Btu transfer of energy!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Many university electrical generators across the country are switching from 'dirty coal to wood burners.

Was surprised to see one in Mingo county...Shhhhhhh, don't tell the tree huggers...let's keep them in Oregon.

I'm sure there is a similarity in the thought prosess...'gas leaves no carbon footprint, is clean and is not a fossil fuel...' words of 'Crazy Nancy Pelosi (cowfart)

Wood will leave no carbon footprint (because its smoke is white), is clean (because the rain washes it) and is not a fossil fuel (because it is a huge plant)

These set ups are concocted to make people rich...but we do need a venue for the thousands of tons of wood waste we produce here...can clear-cut from the stump to the leaves and have tillable soil for the future pesant class to grub..

Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
I certainly hope this is indeed a waste wood facility like the article says. I don't consider myself a tree hugger per se, but it would be a shame to see a forest chopped down in days when it took hundreds of years to grow, just to light up some appliances. Also scorched earth looks ugly and it does not contribute to the health of the climate or wildlife. If that makes me a tree hugger, so be it.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
At the logging site, the tree is taken down to the 2" diameter branch. What is left is waste and that should be recovered too.

If the 3rd world is to be fed in the future, grain must be planted and harvested...that means tillable soil.

At one time, during the 1890's much of Wv was devoid of trees...entire mountains were harvested and in the valley regions, farmers had cleared everything but their fence rows.

We sit on the last great hardwood 2nd growth forest left on the planet..it's days could be very well numbered.
Cut it all down and replace it with windmills...with the crazies running the governments anything could happen...

Ever been to Greece...Italy? See any trees there? ha ha...now one English kook wants to abolish meat eating...How many people will that effect?

And lastly, I thought the Kingsford Plant was at Kingwood...do they have an operation in Parsons?

Have a great week everybody...have to get out of Dodge soon...Miami is calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia