U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM

5,195 posts, read 7,128,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
You know what I think is funny... There are Daily Grinds all over the place in Martinsburg (well at least two) and people complain there are no Starbucks (except for the one in Target)... but I like Daily Grind better than Starbucks! Daily Grind even opened up a store in a snooty community shopping center in Laurel, MD ~ actually Scaggsville (Maple Lawn, look it up). But they closed recently (probably because all the snooty people didn't like it because it wasn't Starbucks).
Starbucks has lost alot of its power in the coffee business

There is not alot of starbuck coffees here in Charleston, but local companies like Capitol Roasters have done well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM

229 posts, read 806,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickonfreeze View Post
The coffee shop trend is starting peter out as people cut back and, of course, realize they can get equally good coffee for less just about anywhere.
Of course the rise of those energy drinks and the increased competition with Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's McCafe didn't help very much either.

Plus even though we aren't really talking about our neck of the woods, in some places across the country those hookah places and medical marijuana dispensaries, even they are hurting places such as Starbucks since the the under 30 crowd are spending money at such places rather than they used to at Starbucks.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM

1,502 posts, read 6,842,068 times
I never like Starbucks coffee, I think it has a funky taste. I have heard that the Daily Grind has good coffee but haven't tried it. I am hooked on Sheetz coffee drinks, depends on who makes it as to how good it is but I like it.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I never like Starbucks coffee, I think it has a funky taste. I have heard that the Daily Grind has good coffee but haven't tried it. I am hooked on Sheetz coffee drinks, depends on who makes it as to how good it is but I like it.
Intertesting thing about Sheetz....just before they had gone defunct in 2009 the Denver, Colorado Rocky Mountain News asked its readers what chain would you like to have in Colorado that isn't already there. There was a tie for number one, California's In-N-Out Burger..and SHEETZ !!! I'll repeat that...SHEETZ !!!

From what I understand a similar poll was asked in Phoenix around the same time, I think by KPHO-TV CBS 5 but anyway Sheetz had ranked within the top FIVE.

After living in this area for so many years I had NO idea that Sheetz was THAT popular.

Well I guess it can be said this region finally has something that many other folks in other parts of the country really wishes they had. Who would had thought it would had been..well..Sheetz !!!

Last edited by cathy J.; 06-13-2010 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: spelling....sorry

Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM

606 posts, read 871,939 times
Default I Contacted Costco; They Aren't Interested In Ranson, WV

Dear Sir,

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

Currently we do not have any public information regarding plans to open a Costco in your area.

Our real estate department is continually looking for ideas for new locations around the country and around the world.

We will forward your suggestion to our Real Estate Department so they are aware of your interest.

Thank you,

Brenda
Costco Wholesale Corporation

Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM

54 posts, read 125,447 times
I think you would get that response from Costco even if they were in serious negotiations to build there. Retailers don't like that kind of information to get around.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickonfreeze View Post
I think you would get that response from Costco even if they were in serious negotiations to build there. Retailers don't like that kind of information to get around.
Re: Costco

The reason why Costco won't build in Ranson is that Costco has an exclusive 20 year argreement with Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia NOT to build another location within 40 miles of Winchester beginning September, 1, 1994.
Sorry but that includes Ranson and Charles Town.

Winchester's 92.5 WINC-FM, Q102, WHSV-TV, the Winchester Star and Northern Virginia Daily all had reported this back way back in 1994. Of course for "legal reasons" Costco would never admit to it, at least not in an email to a stranger anyway. Alas....Gotta wait until at least September 1, 2014 for Costco to even consider Ranson, Charles Town or even Martinsburg otherwise you are talking serious lawsuits which could end up costing Costco MILLIONS.

Well as they say what goes around comes around as Outback Steakhouse did pretty much more/less the same thing with Martinsburg back in 1995. Why do you think it took both Hagerstown and Winchester for years to get their own Outback Steakhouse LONG LONG LONG after Martinsburg had received theirs? I can tell ya it was NOT due to Berkeley County's growth.

Of course if Costco had wanted to build a second Winchester location, no problem there. But sadly not in Ranson.

Local politics at its worst !!! YES it does stink just like old rotted fish. !!!

Last edited by cathy J.; 06-22-2010 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Default Best Buy

Last week I contacted several box stores about asking them to consider or in some cases reconsider opening up stores at the PTC. Some of them as you know, were thinking about opening stores here (Best Buy, Target and Costco) before the economy hit the skids.

Today I was contacted by Best Buy who told me that if they had enough inquiries and requests they would consider (or reconsider?) a store here in Jefferson County. Anyone that is interested in having a store here in Jefferson County- I would strongly suggest contacting them via their website and let your opinion be known.

If that store opened here perhaps it would bring in additional retail and I wouldn't have to leave the county every time I want to do some "real" shopping.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,915,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Last week I contacted several box stores about asking them to consider or in some cases reconsider opening up stores at the PTC. Some of them as you know, were thinking about opening stores here (Best Buy, Target and Costco) before the economy hit the skids.

Today I was contacted by Best Buy who told me that if they had enough inquiries and requests they would consider (or reconsider?) a store here in Jefferson County. Anyone that is interested in having a store here in Jefferson County- I would strongly suggest contacting them via their website and let your opinion be known.

If that store opened here perhaps it would bring in additional retail and I wouldn't have to leave the county every time I want to do some "real" shopping.
That sounds nice, I just recently discovered that Best Buy is building another store in Winchester. It will be up from the Apple Blossom Mall, where a movie theatre used to be located. I can't remember the name of that road that this is on, but the plaza where this is located is behind the new Walgreen's. -mmccul

Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Default Quiznos

This just in- Quiznos at the Potomac Towne Center went out of business this past Thursday.

The Charles Town/Ranson area has 3 Subway restaurants, 1 Jerry's Subs restaurant and 1 Jersey Mike's Subs restaurant. I find it hard to believe that Quiznos could not compete against these restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia