Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:57 PM

537 posts, read 958,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Quiznos at the Potomac Towne Center went out of business this past Thursday.
Wow. I didn't like Quiznos, but still... I don't get it... And I don't like the direction this is headed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
This just in- Quiznos at the Potomac Towne Center went out of business this past Thursday.

The Charles Town/Ranson area has 3 Subway restaurants, 1 Jerry's Subs restaurant and 1 Jersey Mike's Subs restaurant. I find it hard to believe that Quiznos could not compete against these restaurants.
There is a sign on the door that reads a new sub shop under a different name will be opening in its place soon.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
I hope it's not going to be yet another Subway

I liked the Quiznos. Thought they were doing pretty good business
I like Subway but not a big fan. I used to like their tuna wrap, esp on Fridays, but then they discontinued that.
Lost CalTort, now Quiznos
Does this mean eventually we're only going to have McDonald's or McDonald's, or Subway to choose from

Old 06-27-2010, 09:16 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
Re: Costco

The reason why Costco won't build in Ranson is that Costco has an exclusive 20 year argreement with Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia NOT to build another location within 40 miles of Winchester beginning September, 1, 1994.
Sorry but that includes Ranson and Charles Town.

Winchester's 92.5 WINC-FM, Q102, WHSV-TV, the Winchester Star and Northern Virginia Daily all had reported this back way back in 1994. Of course for "legal reasons" Costco would never admit to it, at least not in an email to a stranger anyway. Alas....Gotta wait until at least September 1, 2014 for Costco to even consider Ranson, Charles Town or even Martinsburg otherwise you are talking serious lawsuits which could end up costing Costco MILLIONS.

Well as they say what goes around comes around as Outback Steakhouse did pretty much more/less the same thing with Martinsburg back in 1995. Why do you think it took both Hagerstown and Winchester for years to get their own Outback Steakhouse LONG LONG LONG after Martinsburg had received theirs? I can tell ya it was NOT due to Berkeley County's growth.

Of course if Costco had wanted to build a second Winchester location, no problem there. But sadly not in Ranson.

Local politics at its worst !!! YES it does stink just like old rotted fish. !!!
Yes, that certainly does stink!!! That's politics for ya. Suppose different companies could have varying years, such as Costco - a [long] 20 year contract agreement, but another could only have 10 or maybe 5 year lengths of wait? I still wonder who in the banking/finance/credit card business chose the '7' year drop-off on credit reports? Why not 5 or better yet - 2 !
Ah, but that's a subject for a whole different debate. I'm certainly going to miss Quiznos.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:53 PM

229 posts, read 879,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Yes, that certainly does stink!!! That's politics for ya. Suppose different companies could have varying years, such as Costco - a [long] 20 year contract agreement, but another could only have 10 or maybe 5 year lengths of wait? I still wonder who in the banking/finance/credit card business chose the '7' year drop-off on credit reports? Why not 5 or better yet - 2 !
Ah, but that's a subject for a whole different debate. I'm certainly going to miss Quiznos.
Back in 2004 the Winchester-based magazine The Quad State Business Journal did a very well done story on how local politics plays a BIG role in local retail.I still have the issue. Some very interesting things had came out of that article. After reading the article one comes away with the feeling that Winchester, Martinsburg and Hagerstown had acted like three big bullies playing marbles in a schoolyard. Anyway among the "findings"...

*The Bon-Ton department store chain will NOT do business in Virginia. Also the Bon-Ton had turned down Charles Town for a location. Where?

*Circuit City had wanted to build a location in Martinsburg as far back as 2000 but Hagerstown wouldn't let them. ( I dont get this one ).

*Red Lobster at one time had own some land on Foxcroft Ave in Martinsburg back in the mid 1990's for a new restaurant but sold it off for the new Martins Food store.

*Martins Foods still pays the rent on the building of their old Martinsburg location that was located near the former Blue Ridge Outlets ( wonder if this is still the case? )

*The Charles Town Wal-Mart is the highest grossing store for that chain in all of West Virginia.

*May Company in 1998 wanted to place a Hechts store at Winchester's Apple Blossom Mall and at the Martinsburg Mall..but Hagerstown's Valley Mall had offered a "better deal at a cheaper price" and a promise to NEVER put a location in either mall "forever"..of course Hechts is now Macys..so much for, well "forever".

Quad State Business Journal for some reason isn't available online but last I checked the Handley Library in Winchester has back issues..look for the Spring 2004 edition.

Sad to hear about Quiznos but Subway., I have often heard they aren't picky about where to put a location. Remember their downtown Martinsburg location? That lasted a month tops !! Heck it wouldn''t surprise me at all if Subway would allow someone to open up a location in their own basement at home .

Last edited by cathy J.; 06-27-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: spelling UGH

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,748 times
Well I hope that Panera Bread stays in business... I just got my husband to like them and they offer healthier menu items than the other places he likes.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,885 times
I like Quiznos subs too, but I really think there is an issue with having enough customers for all the sub shops to be profitable in this market area.

In Jefferson county there are;
(if I counted correctly, at least)
3 Subway sub shops -- {edit... or is that 4? is the one in the Barnharts plaza in Ranson still open?}
Jersey Mikes Subs
Jerry's Subs and pizzas
2 Kings Pizza and subs
Ledos Pizza (& subs)
Liberty street carryout (& subs)
Tony's Pizza (& subs)
Anthony's Pizza and subs
2 Brothers Pizza and subs
Vocelli Pizza (& panini [looks like a sub to me])
3 Sheetz

Probably more small diners & delis that make subs too (like the gas station on the road to millville) that I can't think of right now. And more just across the line in Berkeley at Kearneysville.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

92 posts, read 327,152 times
Yes, the Subway in Barnharts (or is it Ranson) Plaza is still there; my wife eats there often.

Railside Market in Summit Point makes some great subs....I'm sure the speedway keeps them
busy now that the Country Roads Market in Middleway is gone....

Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM

204 posts, read 418,143 times
just bumping back to the top,i love this thread.....any news?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM

84 posts, read 202,086 times
I drove by there this evening on my way back home and noticed a new food joint in where Quizno's was. Didn't really catch the name as I was speeding through...."something Grill". Hows the business at the Panera over there? I dont see as many cars out in the lot compared to the Paneras in Winchester, H-town, and northern VA. I would hate to see it go out of business as I like to pick up a loaf of bread and some baked potato soup from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia