Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,587,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
The Bob Evans that opened across from Khol's like five or so years ago? It's closing already? I lived in a townhouse in Briar Run when they had begun that expansion across the street with the new McDonald's and the Rite Aid, but I'd moved before they'd finished construction on Bob Evans and most of the other stuff there. Not like anything they put in was all that special.
Yep, it got closed in a round with other underperforming locations. It wasn't there very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 12:17 PM

68 posts, read 116,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Yep, it got closed in a round with other underperforming locations. It wasn't there very long.
I wasn't expecting it to be there very long, a BOB EVANS of all places. But it still feels so new to me that I guess the news of it closing still took me by surprise until I realized that it had already been open several years. Sometimes it amazes me the business that get built around here, dead-end and under-performing businesses that are built and opened only to close a year or two later because they're dying franchises to begin with.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:37 AM

19,388 posts, read 9,445,852 times
All the time banners in front of shops (shoppes), plazas, mall advertising sales or final sales at mattress stores and yet, building new stores only to be told it's going to be a mattress store. Yeah, I know people need to sleep but whenever you go to a Mattress Warehouse, all you ever seem
to see inside are like 2 people, one of which is the salesperson.

People like to eat too. So while I'm at Bob Evans on a Saturday morning (Ranson, even when it was open) had at least 25 or more people but yet that closes and more mattress stores are built?

Old 10-25-2015, 11:48 AM

735 posts, read 1,164,819 times
Default One Year Later....

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Well I am out. I waited six years for the PTC to be completed. Six years for a movie theater to come to the area and six years for the amenities that I left behind in Northern Virginia to follow me here and it hasn’t happened.

That’s right, I am out; I am done.

After six years of living in the ‘wilderness’ to save money on my mortgage, insurance and property taxes I decided to move back to civilization.

The big stickler for me, were the negatives- the commute, the wear and tear on my vehicles, the cost of maintaining said vehicles and that there is nothing going on in the surrounding area.
Six years ago when I bought my home in Ranson the sellers touted there was a growing shopping center that was to be part of a mega entertainment complex on the outskirts of the community. When completed it would include restaurants, movie theaters and mega retailers including Target, Costco and Best Buy; it was supposed to rival the Brambleton Town Center in Ashburn thus eliminating the need to travel out of the county for my preferred stores.

Fast forward six years later:

It didn’t happen. Many of the stores that were hinted to be coming to The Potomac Towne Center have opted to go to Martinsburg and other areas instead. As a result, the Potomac Towne Center has yet to be completed and I doubt it ever will. What about the movie theater? It was supposed to open Memorial Day 2008. It hasn’t and probably never will.

• I am tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for it to get better out here- for which it is taking to long to do.

• I am tired of having to drive Twenty Hells away to shop at my preferred stores, entertainment options and begging and even pleading for them to open locations in Jefferson county.

• I am tired of my commute, the dangerous roads I have to travel on, the wear and tear on my vehicles and the $$$ I spend in gas and auto repairs because of it.

However, I am going to miss my house, my neighborhood and neighbors I have come to know. But after six years of this, I am ready for a change- like having a movie theater, Costco or Best Buy in the same city I live in.
Today marks one year that I left one Virginia for the other.

Looking back it was a good move. My preferred stores are right here in Leesburg, the amenities that I was missing in the panhandle (Verizon FiOS) are here as well and my commute to the office is so close now I am thinking about buying a electric car and giving the finger to gas stations. In fact I have gotten some what lazy as well, if I can't find something I am looking for within a 15 minute drive the hell with it.

Leesburg is also a very bike-able city. I find myself riding my bike just about everywhere within the city limits. I couldn't do that too much in Jefferson County.

I noticed that there hasn't been any development in Ranson save for the new Sleepys store in the Weis Plaza and Famous Footwear moving to Martinsburg.

In Leesburg the Shoppers Supermarket closed in February and DSW and Dick's Sporting Goods opened in its place. There is also Walmart Super Center under construction as well as a Lowes.

Having said that I have noticed a few things over the past year- Leesburg is very transient in that people just live where they live for their jobs; if they lose them or take another job elsewhere they are gone. This past spring of the eight houses across the street from me four of them were for sale. So there are people constantly moving in and out of the neighborhood.

Also I figured out the source of the horrible gridlock in the DC metro as well. Poor highways and too many drivers (as well as too many traffic signals).

There needs to be some major upgrading to some of the existing routes. Some need to be turned into four lane roads/highways (route 15). Some need to lose the numerous traffic signals on them (route 7) and some need to be extended into Maryland (route 28) that would alleviate the congestion down here. Until that happens side-streets and backroads are the only alternative to gridlock.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Looking back it was a good move. My preferred stores are right here in Leesburg, the amenities that I was missing in the panhandle (Verizon FiOS) are here as well and my commute to the office is so close now I am thinking about buying a electric car and giving the finger to gas stations. In fact I have gotten some what lazy as well, if I can't find something I am looking for within a 15 minute drive the hell with it.

Leesburg is also a very bike-able city. I find myself riding my bike just about everywhere within the city limits. I couldn't do that too much in Jefferson County.

I noticed that there hasn't been any development in Ranson save for the new Sleepys store in the Weis Plaza and Famous Footwear moving to Martinsburg.

In Leesburg the Shoppers Supermarket closed in February and DSW and Dick's Sporting Goods opened in its place. There is also Walmart Super Center under construction as well as a Lowes.

Having said that I have noticed a few things over the past year- Leesburg is very transient in that people just live where they live for their jobs; if they lose them or take another job elsewhere they are gone. This past spring of the eight houses across the street from me four of them were for sale. So there are people constantly moving in and out of the neighborhood.

Also I figured out the source of the horrible gridlock in the DC metro as well. Poor highways and too many drivers (as well as too many traffic signals).

There needs to be some major upgrading to some of the existing routes. Some need to be turned into four lane roads/highways (route 15). Some need to lose the numerous traffic signals on them (route 7) and some need to be extended into Maryland (route 28) that would alleviate the congestion down here. Until that happens side-streets and backroads are the only alternative to gridlock.
I'm sure it is a big adjustment from going to Leesburg from Charles Town.

As for the Charles Town retail scene, I can't imagine much happening in the near future. The retail currently there isn't much more than pre-recession speculation (which is why big names like Costco and Best Buy were thrown around at one time). I have no doubt that Charles Town will continue to grow and prosper, but I can't imagine that rapid pre-recession growth coming back for quite a while.

Bob Evans closed down since you moved too. I'm not sure what the property will be used for, but the last time that I drove by, they were renovating the exterior.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,148 times
Quote:

Wait till the next recession/depression hits and all those people lose their precious government jobs/contractor jobs. You'll see Leesburg and the surrounding areas impload so quick you will see every other house on your street with a for sale/foreclose sign. If you own a home when that happens do you know what it will do to its value?

How are you enjoying those taxes?

Comcast works just fine, I have the highest speed and I use it for business.

We cook/grill a lot but if we want to go to Clydes Willow Creek Ashburn on the weekend or a few of our other faves like Fords Fish shack in South Riding (where we used to live) we just drive there, take our time and its no big deal.

You wont get those road upgrades for along time and imagine what the traffic will be life when those 'upgrades' are being done. 7West towards 9 was a nightmare and is finally almost finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I'm sure it is a big adjustment from going to Leesburg from Charles Town.

As for the Charles Town retail scene, I can't imagine much happening in the near future. The retail currently there isn't much more than pre-recession speculation (which is why big names like Costco and Best Buy were thrown around at one time). I have no doubt that Charles Town will continue to grow and prosper, but I can't imagine that rapid pre-recession growth coming back for quite a while.

Bob Evans closed down since you moved too. I'm not sure what the property will be used for, but the last time that I drove by, they were renovating the exterior.
Bob Evans is garbage, we already have an IHOP in Charles Town which Ive only been too twice but has done a pretty good job considering the food quality isn't anything to get excited about. I am glad BE is gone. Hopefully something worth a **** will be put in place.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:25 PM

According to this leasing brochure, Home 2 Suites by Hilton will be coming to Jefferson Crossing in Charles Town: http://klnbretail.propertycapsule.co...me=1459386946/

Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 PM

For anyone interested, this page has some information on what Home2 Suites looks like. They're Hilton's economy (by Hilton's standards) extended-stay hotel brand.

Home2 Suites by Hilton Hotel Development | West Virginia | Hilton Worldwide

Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 PM

It also appears that Fairfax Crossing, which borders The Boulevard at PTC, was scheduled to be auctioned off. However, the auction was stopped at the last minute. Dan Ryan is currently building some homes in the residential portion, but they must not own all of it.

Fairfax Crossing land sale canceled due to borrower filing for bankruptcy - Journal News | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

Old 04-11-2016, 10:16 AM

735 posts, read 1,164,819 times
Do you have a better source for this? It is behind a paywall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia