Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 AM

735 posts, read 1,162,471 times

Advertisements

Weis opened their gas station in Ranson on Wednesday. While it is nice to finally have a gas station in Ranson- this was the last business to open at the PTC; no other development is coming to the PTC in the immediate future.

Hopefully other retail will reconsider after the table games arrive in July...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM

84 posts, read 201,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Weis opened their gas station in Ranson on Wednesday. While it is nice to finally have a gas station in Ranson- this was the last business to open at the PTC; no other development is coming to the PTC in the immediate future.

Hopefully other retail will reconsider after the table games arrive in July...
I'm betting that some of these companies are waiting for rt.9 to be completed before they commit to anything. That area is a gold mine and if I had the money I'd throw a Moes into the vacant CalTort space.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM

385 posts, read 1,915,570 times
My husband and I were talking to the owners of Bombay Peacock, trying to get them to invest in the space. They had to shut down the Kearneysville restaurant because the sewers backed up and they were afraid that it would continue to be a problem. They are concerned about the location and Charles Town in general (because CalTort closed and their friend's coffee shop went under in downtown), but we argued that all the other restaurants seem to be doing alright and that the CalTort closure was more of a managment thing (I hope that is the truth).

Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM

80 posts, read 219,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
My husband and I were talking to the owners of Bombay Peacock, trying to get them to invest in the space. They had to shut down the Kearneysville restaurant because the sewers backed up and they were afraid that it would continue to be a problem. They are concerned about the location and Charles Town in general (because CalTort closed and their friend's coffee shop went under in downtown), but we argued that all the other restaurants seem to be doing alright and that the CalTort closure was more of a managment thing (I hope that is the truth).
Are they still thinking about opening a restaurant in Martinsburg?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

385 posts, read 1,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccolt60 View Post
Are they still thinking about opening a restaurant in Martinsburg?
Tentatively, yes. But they are having difficulty finding a decent location for the price they want to pay for rent. The original location fell through because of reasons beyond their control. I keep saying they should look at the new Commons shopping center, but they want to be profitable, not just break even or lose money. I think they would do well at the Commons, but I think they are looking for cheaper rent - but cheaper rent usually comes with other problems like location or maintenence. That was half the problem with the Kearneysville location, they were so hard to find (it didn't help they never put a real sign up, either). Despite that, they still had a loyal following and a customer base that was still growing. Imagine if they were in a location where more people could find them!

We were at the Hagerstown Bombay Peacock Sunday, and I think the real intention of the owners are being realized in that location. So far, they are doing well: Have real light up signs up, beautiful dining tables/chairs... etc. They are still getting the bar side up and running, but I'm hoping they will be successful there.

They are also looking into getting a franchise in Frederick, Westminister and opening up a "To-Go" format at Arundel Mills Mall in Hanover, MD.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM

19,325 posts, read 9,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
I miss CalTort
Hoping that the powers-to-be find another management team to re-open there.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 AM

6,002 posts, read 8,986,312 times
I'm in the neighborhood visiting Harpers Ferry and I drove by PTC and realized that it wasn't as big as you all on this thread made me seem it was--LOL

Don't get me wrong, it was very nice--"except the McDonalds"--but it just didn't have the complexity and or area I thought it would

but I did notice all of the lots that have been readied for development

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM

380 posts, read 1,154,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm in the neighborhood visiting Harpers Ferry and I drove by PTC and realized that it wasn't as big as you all on this thread made me seem it was--LOL

It was a probably a comparative assertion from a local point of view. When all you have are Charles Town Plaza, Somerset Village, and Ranson Square locally with which to compare, it is huge.

I remember when the Charles Town Plaza was being constructed (long before Walmart moved there.) It was a big deal! But at the time the biggest retail develpment in the area was the Hilldale with A&P and Peoples Drug.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 PM

6,002 posts, read 8,986,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
It was a probably a comparative assertion from a local point of view. When all you have are Charles Town Plaza, Somerset Village, and Ranson Square locally with which to compare, it is huge.

I remember when the Charles Town Plaza was being constructed (long before Walmart moved there.) It was a big deal! But at the time the biggest retail develpment in the area was the Hilldale with A&P and Peoples Drug.
I see your point

I also got to see the commons in Martinsburg--- not huge, but modern and classy

Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 PM

229 posts, read 876,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post

Oh my Charles Town Plaza !! I remember their Hecks Discount Store and Foodland (?). Both were nice but those smaller stores. UGH !!! Back in the 80's they had a small record/cd store called "Sounds". Even though they sold metal rock, imagine my surprise when I tried to buy an Aerosmith cd only to be denied the sale !! "..sorry but we don't support the devil's music so we can't sell this to you !!". Then why the bloody hell did they have such stuff in stock in the first place? Kinda reminds me of Leslie's Record Land also in Charles Town..well into the late 80's the onwer refused to sell cds..he really believed that the 45 would be making a comeback.

I also remember seeing the Mr. T flick "DC Cab" at the movie theatre in that plaza and I still remember that they had some very weird tasting popcorn. Golden Corral..my parents loved that place but to me as a child it seemed they were good one week, sucked the next, then back to being good..then back to being awful. I was only 14 at the time so I didn't have a choice.

I remember the day it was announced when Taco Bell would be coming to Charles Town. It was such a big deal that the local WXVA radio station actually cut into the middle a song for a "bulletin" announcing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia