U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM

5,195 posts, read 7,133,605 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking, and I have come to the conclusion that there is no place on Earth like our state.

Not economicly, socially, religiously, ect

How do you feel about this proposal, and if you disagree, what state or place would most resemble WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
And there has never been a more concentrated situation of mineral wealth than here...

Timber by the billions of board feet...harvested completely (with the exception of about 150 acres at Aurora, Wv)...now harvested under good management techniques.

Coal by the billions of tons..over 200 minable seams.

Gas by the trillions of cubic feet...

Limestone, sand (for the glass factories that no longer exist) and sandstone and shale.

Wind for power generation.

Water...for hydro power that is minimal but considered for the future...but the most valuable is the water...I was corrected a week ago...Wv has 9 major rivers that can be bottled for human consumption.

That is where the real wealth lies...

did I miss anything...OH Yes!

and with ALL this wealth...we are the least educated, poorest in personal wealth and lowest in the perception of social class stigmas.

And we are the biggest idiots too...in every war, we have bled the most BLOOD for this country of jack$$fs.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM

380 posts, read 1,024,726 times
No, no place...
We are hopeful of an upcoming move. If we sell our property in the eastern panhandle we will have the freedom to move just about anywhere we like. But as I research climates, both weather & political, cost of living, lifestyle, etc. WV always ends up at the top of the list, with VA a close second. (The only reason VA isn't equal is that it appears there was a concerted push to establish zoning regs in even the most rural of VA counties, and I'm fond of freedom.)

Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,542,282 times
As far as natural beauty WV is certainly near the top, it comes as a surprise to most that upstate NY
looks much the same but with many more beautiful natural lakes.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM

515 posts, read 673,173 times
Quote:
and with ALL this wealth...we are the least educated, poorest in personal wealth and lowest in the perception of social class stigmas.
DK, You say this like it's a bad thing....lol....You forgot the most obese. We certainly need to do better in some areas but as far as being the lowest in the perception of social class stigmas, Well, I couldn't care less what others think. I've traveled some and I see far more good than bad here than I have in other places. I was born and raised in the hills of WV and when I travel to places like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis and other places, I can't wait to get back to my Wild and Wonderful homeland. We are truley blessed. Ill take it over any other.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 AM

In 1969, when Exxon made the distribution policies for the North Slope oil moneys of Alaska...the state was so overwhelmed with the surplus that they began a Reverse Income Tax for their citizens.

I had a friend there at the time and he and his wife banked that money ($4,500 per year) for the future education of their children...all four have been very nicely perpared for life with that money..

$4,500 may not seen like much now, but at that time, 1969, it was a good yearly wage down here in the states.

Some of this wealth from Wv could have been used for the raising up of the people.
The Morgans, Rockefellers and other scumbags who own the state chose not to do that...that the population was dross and unworthy...and it was part of the 'Robber Baron Mind Set of the time...that the strongest survive and the weak die...

and a great part of this problem has been the time period (1870-2009) when this state was formed and the Flemings and Morgans and other present day scumbags were/are trying to get their hands on as much money and power as possible.

It's a priority thing..and a worthless argument...
We should be using completely free college educations for our young. A varied job base because of friendly tax purposes...and inclusion.

What is happening, in reality?

The job base is so select and our people so unqualified that newcomers, are moving here to take the new high tech jobs. That leaves our young (ignorant) people further behind and relegated to the service industries...a cast system is being created. Divided between the locals, (uneducated who will use any pretex) Who will try to move away....and the newbies, who have a plan for their lives and the means to make it happen.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,800,769 times
I still don't know how to use an ATM machine. Not that it matters. I don't have a debit card and wouldn't know what to do with one of those, either.

Um, what was the question?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:20 AM

12,600 posts, read 16,264,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
DK, YYou forgot the most obese.
Don't worry, they're proposing a fat tax on state workers to take care of that. Proposed Tax on Overweight State Workers | WDTV CBS 5 - News, Weather and Sports - Bridgeport - Clarksburg, WV | Local News

I guess you get charged every time you go to Tudors Biscuit World too.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 AM

I don't believe that tax needs to be on the state workers, per se...the clerks I see each day seem fit and trim.

It is a way 'in the door' to provide the program for the 'Welfare clients, however...and almost all of them have a difficult time putting one foot in front of the other...such disability!

The Mall has designated 32 parking spaces at the front door so they can make it to the Welfare Office.
Just waiting for one to die and have all that Drama...3 rescue squad trucks and the fire engine with hoist to get the body on the heavy duty gurney...we are due for this...

To be that fat, a person must eat 24 hours a day...no kidding. 400 to 600 pounders!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,542,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I don't believe that tax needs to be on the state workers, per se...the clerks I see each day seem fit and trim.

It is a way 'in the door' to provide the program for the 'Welfare clients, however...and almost all of them have a difficult time putting one foot in front of the other...such disability!

The Mall has designated 32 parking spaces at the front door so they can make it to the Welfare Office.
Just waiting for one to die and have all that Drama...3 rescue squad trucks and the fire engine with hoist to get the body on the heavy duty gurney...we are due for this...

To be that fat, a person must eat 24 hours a day...no kidding. 400 to 600 pounders!

Poverty, despair and depression can/do terrible things to the human mind and soul.
In the US this often presents as obesity with all its physical and mental complications.
It little behooves any of us to belittle any of us, esp. those who are more sinned against than sinning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia