Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times

Advertisements

Chamber of Commerce data is out and we came in 50th again.

How is Maine #3 so far ahead of us...remote...very small population..low diversity and everything else...what have they done to get into a #3 position...as for our neighboring states:

Virginia #6...can see that with the DC federal money.
North Carolina #21...they have been changing with the tri-cities magnet for 30 years...no surprise.
Kentucky #29...they too have had a plan in place...one went busted in the mid 80's but another seems to be working.
Maryland #30 bankrupted by criminal politicans but evidently on the rebound.
Pennsi #36 Not the best because of taxation but something west of Philly seems to be working.

the last 4: Alabama 47, Mississippi 48, Louisiana 49 and then us...
My question...this is not a deep south connection...what is going on...
do you think it has something to do with changing the signs at the border....is it the very poor legal climate here?

If WV ever in its lifetime needed a strategic plan...it seems to be now...all the money will stop on a dime when the Dems get in in November.
The money always goes to the big cities where it can be covered up easily...
Inouye will ship it to Hawaii and Rangel will send it to New York...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Until WV gets its tax structure organized and have its leaders understand that heavy industry will probably never be king in the US again than it can pretty much be guaranteed a last place spot. There is more to the new economy than tourism and table games (or are they one in the same?) especially considering those jobs usually pay rather low wages. It truly is sad, I see a lot of potential in WV, I also see it squandered away by self interests...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Heavy industry will play a great part of Wv's future...with the failure of Ethanol as a viable power source and nothing workable on the horizion..with the exception of walking...coal will be used because of its reliability and its plentifull nature...
The USA runs on electricity...only one nuke plant is coming on line..after 40 years, in Maryland on Chesapeake Bay. Water power has not been developed because of fish migrations...
Coal will be the answer to the nations power needs for decades.

If we pass laws here to prevent the building of new coal fired generators they will be built in Canada and feed our needs here...and the irony...most of it chinese technology done in cooperation with our own WVU, Penn State and U of Colorado.

The problem is nepotism...family members must get the graft before anything real can happen...It takes a lot of money to make that kind of a system work...

Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
I'm rather insanely patriotic because I'm wayyy too old to be wearing the cloak of naive anymore. I believe that the system created by our founders is a healthy one for all, with a minimum of compromises for individuals so the whole could work. The spirit of the law has not been adhered to, and we have troubles we shouldn't be having.

History might conclude one day that the more politicians look at themselves as hired agents to hussle and flow with commerce, the more they're worshiping the spoils (assuming that wasn't their inherent objective to begin with; contempt for manual labor). The more committed to the deep abiding principles of yesteryear that they are public servants, having a solemn duty to serve all, protect all, lead all, and manage long range plans despite having an elected 4 yr term- those are the officials who have served us well. (This is where I was criticized for being naive, that washington did not cut down a cherry tree, and that civics is mythology fed to sheeple to keep them oppressed).

The blurring of the lines between commerce and govt objectives started happening at an accellerated rate in the 80's to the point where politicians nowadays don't answer to the people anymore. We were hearing the paradigms of commerce, the flavor of the month boardroom buzzwords, in the sacred halls of our congress. Things like downsizing, rightsizing, deregulation. Lets buy another magic bullet.
As the wise old farmer would say- Well, america, how'd that work out for ya?

This isn't just WV DK. It's happening all over america, at all levels of federal elected or appointed posts, many levels of state- you can now watch MOJO courting china. Sure that's a good thing? Chinese gov't doesn't even care about their own, will stomp over a 3,000 +yr culture of unarmed monks so they can have a las vegas theme park on a desolate mountain peak. They pirate our technology, have put whole industries in the toilet w/stolen design knock offs, and enjoying a robust economy on the backs of slave labor paid 3 cents/hour at the behest of walmart. Walmart/china vs chinese and american citizens. Anyone care to guess what kind of business partner they're likely to be for WV? Bigger picture for america-- what's next? Agrarian town officials steering foreign policy going on junkets to guatamala to keep a steady supply of farmhands???

The nature of commerce is to exploit for profit resources, goods, and services someone else has, market it as something more, and reap the benefits. Whomever holds the highest profit margin is dubbed the winner. Quite magical to see someone capable of making others change their values to the magicians way of thinking, particularly when they gladly hand over a 1,000% markup. Selling snow makers to eskimos. West virginians aren't willing to sell out cheap? Good for them! I'm proud of my fellow frugal curmugeons, and glad to throw my hat in and call this place home.

DK it's a mistake to limit the value based on comparison of apples to oranges, through myopic statistics, or even having the lesser/more than mentality relative to other states. WV is indeed unique, and it's value/people are realized by a select few as you have conceded in previous posts. That conclusion wasn't erroneous, it was dead on. Just because what's valuable about WV can't be quantified by bean counters, doesn't make it worthless. In fact, IMO, WV has stubbornly preserved what is priceless.

Balancing the scales, I'll share some criticisms as someone raised outside the culture. Perceptions, mind you, are about differences in values, habits, methods and conclusions that have more to do with me than it does who I criticize, so anyone offended, keep that in mind.

Driving down the interstate and seeing the gold domed capitol building, you see spendthrift govt. I see a statement of splendor, the potential for prosperity. A city that says we take pride, we have something to offer. Listening to natives I often hear subtitles from a leonard cohen tune "everybody knows" (LEONARD COHEN LYRICS - Everybody Knows). I interpret the skepticism to be the product of having your collective faith broken once too often, to the extent where folks aren't even willing to believe in community cooperatives. Fearing being made a fool for believing in anything, they resign to believing it's all bad. Maybe they've watched people invest and wait too long for the pay off- a day that never came, and won't bother with long term goals anymore? The independent streak of native citizenry has a double edged sword, because getting people to band together for a common good is like herding cats and greeted with suspicion. I do NOT envy politicians here, tasked with a daunting job & little benefit of cooperation from their constituents. I'm imagining how my captain would handle mutiny talk 24/7 on my ship, and that image isn't pretty.

The salesmen coming down the pike don't see a land that yields profit despite a flashy gold dome. What they see is a 200 yr old bear market that will not budge. The loud golf pants, flashy pinkie ring car salesman will starve here. They see much resistance, and if you had your choice of level fertile fields or soil clinging to craggy slopes, where would you plant the potatoes everyone wants?
I often hear in West Virginians the belief that they do not control their destiny, or create their own wealth and happiness. They seem to have the attitude that fate or the lottery is in command. I don't see grand initiatives from anyone except Mojo. Folks are more prone to think someones enthusiasm for an issue will die down, so no point in taking it seriously. Volunteerism is prevasive but it's more of a one on one basis, refusing to ignore suffering around them. Judeo/christian ethics of charity and humility are deeply rooted in this culture, and at times it's to their detriment. They act as if they're not qualified to teach a man to fish. I happen to know that they know more than they believe, because I recognize many forms of intelligence, not just academic. Self effacement hasn't served the esteem of this state.
For instance, in my neighborhood, folks here have actually apologized to me for making suggestions! I'm guessing they were afraid to be wrong, overly self conscious about it, and sometimes that makes them silent or inactive when they shouldn't. Now I know where my granny from parkersburg came from, because there it is in living color. Listen 10 times, speak once ONLY if you're 100% certain. That mindset limits conversations to death and taxes, when life itself from a human context is largely subjective. Who on this planet has never been wrong? (except for your wives, of course)

Summary of this winded reply= when you see a healthy thriving civilization, you see a symbiotic relationship between gov't, commerce, and citizens. Each has it's rightful place. When any one of these groups hoard resources, it becomes off kilter, the relationship becomes parasitic, undermining the whole host I'll call civilization. Stepping outside the political philosophy spectrum, can you look at WV in an agricultural type equation and see- which group is the parasite? Tinker with that in your mind, you're bound to see how to fix what's off kilter. Keep in mind that if your solution doen't keep all of them fed, the cycle will continue.

Where I stand, I see each one of these groups having their own predatory response to another predator. Hatfield and McCoys vying for power. I'll debunk meteorology with my theory that West Virginians are regularly praying for rain to wash away the standoff.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 PM

The answer to WV's economic success (on an individuals basis, which is the most important...the direct point of use), lies in the internet commerce. When a person can have the globe at his fingertips in an instant, he only needs a product to sell. Aunt Minnies quilts or a birdhouse from Uncle Festus has marketability. The start-up cost is in the pennies really and if a person is not very savy about a keyboard...surely, little Chloe can help with the marketing...so what if she is in the 7th grade...she knows all the techniques...cell phone, MP-3 and all.
All a person has to do is go to the library and get a book or two.

Two years ago, I looked into having a book published by the Chinese out of Hong Kong.
It was so cheap..$2.00 per copy but I really wanted more for the project, no matter what the cost.

The Chinese at that time had a Guild in place to market the products of 25,000 small companies...they have continually sent me e-mails about that guild...at the present time, 40,000 small chinese companies are represented on that guilds web site....alibaba

A friend asked me a few months ago to help him with a small business to suppliment his income. I suggested Alibaba...he looked for a few days and found the perfect item to import and sell here...at first locally and then on a national basis. His old 2 car garage, that was full of junk is now full of merchandise and the UPS trucks come and go...some materials are dropped-shipped out of California and never sees the light of day in Wv.

This project took a short time to set up and get in order. It's just like the Sears & Roebuck of yesteryear...except the customer is delivering the goods...

When the Irish were at their lowest ebb...when the English had destroyed every way possible for them to make a living...they resorted to 'cottage industires...lace...linen...whiskey...sold it all under the English market eyes..and survived...We live in almost that same situation..the thing keeping us down is ignorance and that shackle must be thrown off to adjust to these new times...
Opportunity lies at everydoorstep and the problem is a little dirt is covering the gold.

Social programs are in place with Senior Citizens, Tech Schools and Civic Organizations to provide places of learning to teach seminars to allow a window to be opened for these opportunities to happen...

If nothing else...how about a seminar at the public library to show how money can be made on E-bay.

Almost every car dealer in the USA uses that tool to market his ware..
It's right here..we are not using this tool because we fear it.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 PM

People culturally centered toward independence, this solution makes far too much sense.

The days where you could have a well defined career track with a decent salary from fortune 500 are limited to CEO's writing their own ticket. Pensions are gone, job security gone, unions acting more like a ponzi scheme, having a lifetime career with one company unheard of, and the traditional formulas for success aren't relevant. Corporations aren't even loyal to the countries they do business in, getting away from the monolithic institution image and going the private contractor route digitally. The promises made to my generation, that if we went to college our salaries would be 50k+, is an expensive lie we paid interest on in spades. What is it saying when a masters graduate has to dumb down a resume to get a job as a walmart greeter? Nobody warned us in high school that not all degrees would pay for themselves. (Huh? you mean love doesn't pay the rent???)

I think the business mgmt is the hardest part even on ebay. Marketing would be the harder one for natives- I mean, can West Virginians really learn to be a braggart about the virtues of ramp? rofl

I could stand to take a course in both subjects myself, but this old house is keeping my brain pretty busy from venturing back to school. I'm so afraid to make expensive mistakes remodeling that I've given myself a nasty case of analysis paralysis.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Alter the tax structure, implement tort reform, get counties that need it local control, increase your bond ratings and start making real and dedicated progress with infrastructure improvements by raising revenue bonds. Start by working in the EP and the I-79 corridor NOW, revamp the Ohio valleyand Northern Panhandle later and continue to develop natural resources for future energy needs. Work on becoming a pioneer in alternative fuel as well, don't be shortsighted with coal. Put the resources where the tax revenue would be greatest first, trickle down later..

It's quite easy, really. First start the process by following Shakespeare's advice... Lawyers in Charleston should become worried, and fast.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Alter the tax structure, implement tort reform, get counties that need it local control, increase your bond ratings and start making real and dedicated progress with infrastructure improvements by raising revenue bonds. Start by working in the EP and the I-79 corridor NOW, revamp the Ohio valleyand Northern Panhandle later and continue to develop natural resources for future energy needs. Work on becoming a pioneer in alternative fuel as well, don't be shortsighted with coal. Put the resources where the tax revenue would be greatest first, trickle down later..

It's quite easy, really. First start the process by following Shakespeare's advice... Lawyers in Charleston should become worried, and fast.
I'm for all of that too, just don't forget Charleston and Huntington, home to about 650,000 out of 1.8 million. We can't let these metro areas continue to crumble

Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM

snorpus mentioned in a previous blog that a strategic plan was needed for Wv.

We know from experience that help from any government is NIL.
To salvage part of this generation and create a new generation seems simple.

1. Must be done by oneself. Making each person, family or entity a boss or ceo in their own right.
(saves time...also bypasses all the government hinderances)

2. Training needs to be as simple as military manuals...

3. Because of Wv's different regions, the item for cash generation needs to be generic and simple. Gaston Caperton did a wonderful thing with
Tamarac...but it ends at the store. Some of those vendors take the inventory to the internet...some do not.

4. As a cash realization occurs and some success is seen by the business owner, more risk will be taken and fears will be put aside.

5. Examples: Squirrel hunting or Coon Hunting guide....Sailing school on one of the lakes...Home Canning Exibition with training....marketing of herbs and
foodstuffs from the wilderness..Hiking Photo Tour of the scenic treasures. Trail horse ride or bike into the mountans or on the rail-
trails. Bus/Van tours of special Wv places that few know about....plus craft items, antiques, junk and collectibles...old everythings...

This will not occur by any government agency...the government does not want WV's to free themselves from the bondage imposed through the decades.

We live in this changing world and it is electronic. Money can be generated by this electronic means. It's at our finger tips and our people wait for hope.
Hope comes when sweat and hard work is applied...It's just like LUCK...a person MAKES their own luck...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 05-08-2008 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 PM

Three- somebody has to be the tax base for those plans, and everybody wants that somebody to be somebody who isn't them. Business cries foul you're hurting biz, citizens cry foul they can't make ends meet, and govt cutbacks translate to less jobs, less tax base, and worse service- everybody cries foul. The plan thats been in effect seems to have been make do and mend, but the to-do list is stacking up.

GHO- I wish they could streamline the process to make that determination for decaying properties. Stay or go, get off the pot. There are so many beautiful houses in need of care being run into the ground with neglect. Knowing which are beyond repair vs the ones that can be revived will help concentrate repair dollars where they need to go, and where demolition dollars need to go. Inaction won't last forever before nature decides for those who won't. Ironically, the real injured parties in this scenario are the people who did the right thing, paid their taxes, and spent the effort to care for their homes.
In a similar vein is the issue of having to pay extra car insurance for the category 'uninsured motorists'. Honest people having to compensate for deadbeats. I wonder if the state cracked down and revoked licenses for failure to maintain insurance if the insurance companies would lose all justification for that fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia