Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 56,449 times

Advertisements

TWO ?'s -- for anyone knowledgable about WV Unemployment Compensation guidelines.... specifically "Extended Benefits".

1) Within the next couple of weeks, I will have exhausted my EUC Tier 2 unemployment benefits. Will WVns be eligible for EB (Extended Benefits)? I see that Gov. Manchin updated rules regarding alternative base periods and such as stimulus plan required in order for state to get federal funding for UE. With that and WVns tier 2 exhausting, will we automatically roll over to EB?

2) Since I've qualified for benefits and all extensions so far, does that mean I will be eligible for EB or is there a possibility that I may not, due to a difference in rules regarding benefits year or base period, etc?

Thanks in advance for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,439 times
You will have to go in and re apply when your benefits are exhausted. If you are determined not to be eligible for regular benefits (you haven't worked since you originally applied), you will be eligible for EB for another 13 weeks.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:41 PM

I just checked and my EUC stub shows benefit yr. ends 10/04/2008. From what I'm reading elsewhere, it appears I would not be eligible for EB....correct?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee20 View Post
I just checked and my EUC stub shows benefit yr. ends 10/04/2008. From what I'm reading elsewhere, it appears I would not be eligible for EB....correct?
It's really pretty complicated. when did you last receive benefits? The only way you'll know for sure is to reapply. good luck!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 14,656 times
Have you spoken to anyone at employment ofc that was helpful? They do have a website to contact them by email. How long did it take for you to
start receiving tier one when your regular benefits ran out? I am in the
same boat with you.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 PM

A lot of people right now are starting to exhaust their extended benefits. I wonder how many in the state have exhausted those benefits.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Default "Extended Benefits"

I did have a gap between regular and tier 1 benefits, but I'm thinking that was because they actually had not been extended until a couple weeks after I'd exhausted my regular benefits. If there is a gap in yours, they will be retroactive to the end of your regular benefits (if you can hang on til then).
The state of WV WOULD be eligible for an additional 20 wks of 100% federally funded benefits if our lawmakers would make one minor change in laws to adopt an optional tigger (an additional way for us to qualify, based on Total Unemployment Rate, rather than just Insured Unemployment Rate). "Extended Benefits" are generally paid 50/50 between state and federal in times of high unemployment in a particular state, but the recent stimulus bill (ARRA) agrees to pay benefits for those who file a claim for them through end of the year (as it stands now, but it could be moved up) using 100% federal money-----NO MONEY OUT OF THE STATES POCKET. The law could even be revoked and changed back when the federal money expires, so as not to stick the state with paying to additional people after federal funding runs out. Only excuse I've heard as to why they're not doing this, is because the state, as an employer does not pay into the unemployment trust fund. They are obligated to pay their ex-employees who qualify for these benefits from their own money, and by the same rules and provide the same extensions. So anyone who previously worked for a state agency and qualified for this extension, would be getting benefits just the same, only behind the scenes, the state must pay them with its own money. It was their choice to not contribute to the states trust fund although they force all other employers (other than non-profits) to pay into it. Now they're holding the money that was set aside in the stimulus package specifically for us, hostage to avoid having to foot the bill for their own former employees.
EVERYONE, CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND ALL LAWMAKERS and urge them to call a legislative special session to make the necessary MINOR changes in our law, so that we are eligible for the federal government to give us "EXTENDED BENEFITS" provided for in stimulus plan.

Tell them to take action to "IMPLEMENT THE OPTIONAL T-U-R TRIGGER" that would allow WV to "TRIGGER ON to EXTENDED BENEFITS".

I get updated information at www.nelp.org
Check there for more details.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM

I guess you can see that I've done a little research to find the answer to my original question! lol

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Sorry, someone asked me a quesion & I'll answer for everyone to clear it up.....

"extended benefits" or EB are what would be available AFTER you've exhausted tier 2, but only if your state qualifies--based on several different factors

EB is for an additional 13 or 20 weeks depending on those factors

There's regular benefits, then tier 1 & tier 2, federal extension fall in between where ever they are granted. After all those are exhausted, the next thing that's possibly available (aside from from another federal extension) would be EXTENDED BENEFITS.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Charleston Daily Mail article from yesterday.

Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - News - Residents running out of jobless benefits*

Looks like the Gov is considering calling a special session to make those funds available.

Some stats from the article.

As of July 25, about 2,357 claimants had received their final payment of both regular and emergency unemployment compensation, Michael Moore, director of unemployment for WorkForce West Virginia, said Friday.
That means they have exhausted all 59 weeks of jobless benefits available. That includes 26 weeks of regular unemployment benefits, 20 weeks of Tier 1 emergency unemployment compensation and 13 weeks of Tier 2 emergency benefits.

Overall, about 48,026 West Virginians are drawing unemployment compensation benefits, Moore said. Broken down, that comes to 35,624 getting regular benefits, 8,339 receiving emergency Tier 1 benefits and 4,063 collecting emergency Tier 2 benefits, he said.

48,000 is a lot of people out of work in the state. I think we should take the federal money to keep folks getting unemployment. What do the rest of you think? If we take the federal money, at least it's spent here in the state to help keep business open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: