Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times

Advertisements

Looks like things have caught up with us in this economy.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Lagging tax revenues are threatening West Virginia state government with a budget deficit.

But Gov. Joe Manchin is ruling out public worker layoffs, cuts to services or tax hikes to close a hole that’s projected to grow to $100 million by the end of this budget year, June 30.

Manchin instead has asked agencies to review spending.

He also has $168 million in carry-over revenue as a cushion.

October saw general tax revenues bring in $287 million, or $1.3 million more than expected.

Taxes on coal and business activity both beat their monthly estimates.

But results have slumped for two key sources: personal income and sales taxes. That has left the state with $16 million less than expected so far this budget year. Officials believe that shortfall will grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
100 million is pocket change in a 6 billion dollar budget.

When Joe came into power the state budget was 1/2 what it is now...
He should solve the problem, as he created the bloat we now enjoy.

Gambling revenues are DOWN..people are saving their 'throw away money for that 'rainy day....and the neighboring states have horrendous unemployment problems.

What needs to be done?

Forget about the federal hack solutions and create real jobs here in West Virginia.

What is our business?
Colleges for one big thing...how about advertising them....particularly the small ones.

Push the events: That biker event in Morgantown brought in 50 million...not bad, but the balloon festival was a bust. Hometown reunions in the small towns would bring in money...we have the scenic beauty, it's not marketed to its full potential.

Everything in Wv is not gambling and coal smoke...and I missed the road bowling at Ireland this year..(should be an Olympic Sport).

People will make an effort and spend some money if the event is worth it.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM

53 posts, read 143,277 times
The Well-Being of 50 U.S. States | LiveScience

Now, how in the world would you folks explain this? WV the most unhappy state? I was astounded. They are doing better than Californians by a mile these days. Looming foreclosure wave:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
And California is "9th happiest"?

I personally think WV just has a higher percentage of honest, humorously wry and cynical people who call things exactly as they see them. No way are they "unhappier".

Nigeria won the Happiest Nation in 2003. Attributed by one citizen of that nation to: God and Music.
2007, the European Happy Planet Index rated "Iceland - happiest nation".
No comment there.
This year, Utah topped the list of happiest states. Maybe strict religion and family (they don't dare not to be happy, or feel they are taken care of and less alone?).

Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
If I lived in Utah... I would be miserableeeeee. Strict religious influence and conservatism everywhere you look, I would be in sheer hell. I'd rather stay in WV than go there. It is however, very beautiful !!!

Old 11-15-2009, 04:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
The State Journal said that the Wv budget shortfall was really no big deal and the legislature could handle it.

With the 'Cap and Trade Bill losing steam (actually opposed by Rocky...a first time thing, btw)
Wv will be OK and carry a strong economy.

Pressure is from the unemployment of the USA and the millions of jobs lost...Cap and Trade would add millions more to the unemployment roles and forment a revolution.

Interesting article from Australia last week...the government took the guns away from their citizens last year and crime is up 40%.
Liberal Government officials are perplexed as to what is causing the increase in crime.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
As Kennedy can tell us, things are actually going fairly well
in North Central but I have thought for some time now that
they could be doing even better.

For one thing, Morgantown could do a better job of keeping
those tens of thousands who trek here for football and basketball
games here an extra day, or getting them to come a day earlier.
They spend mega bucks here, as any of the owners of the growing
number of restaurants can attest. Having more and better day
before and day after events would make a major difference.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:33 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingtocomehome View Post
The Well-Being of 50 U.S. States | LiveScience

Now, how in the world would you folks explain this? WV the most unhappy state? I was astounded. They are doing better than Californians by a mile these days. Looming foreclosure wave:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
And California is "9th happiest"?

I personally think WV just has a higher percentage of honest, humorously wry and cynical people who call things exactly as they see them. No way are they "unhappier".

Nigeria won the Happiest Nation in 2003. Attributed by one citizen of that nation to: God and Music.
2007, the European Happy Planet Index rated "Iceland - happiest nation".
No comment there.
This year, Utah topped the list of happiest states. Maybe strict religion and family (they don't dare not to be happy, or feel they are taken care of and less alone?).
I've seen supporting evidence of those statistics. 'Calling things exactly as they see them'... yes, when they see a beam in their own eye they don't hold back, but they aren't necessarily attributing it to their own eye.

As a transplant to Charleston I've heard a great deal of negativity coming from many, some of whom are on this forum. I'd characterize it more as the tendency to presume the worst. A general distrust or resentment toward authority of any sort- their reasons are not discussed openly and history is privileged information. I've also noticed that many in charleston are transplants from other states and other counties.

Telling the whole truth on my part, though, they're usually the loudest bunch in a crowd, while most others more reserved go about their business until the wind quits blowing & let it roll off their backs. The loud ones are often troubled with other behavioral problems and seek to be offended. They tend to be younger, but I've also seen it coming from old codgers ingesting a regular diet of bitterness as if it were normal fare. Reminds me of that odd behavioral thing when dogs that eat their own vomit. Who can say why they do it? Contrast that with content WV'ns who tend to own their own homes, have a life without substance abuse, are older/ wiser, and eyeroll when drama unfolds. My impression is that's the true silent majority of WV.

Utah isn't dominated by mormons anymore than square footage of potatoes own idaho. Mostly the mormom population is concentrated around Salt Lake, but the rest of the state is mixed faith. Both states are incredibly scenic, folks are friendly, but you've got to be brave to face winter there.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Looks like things have caught up with us in this economy.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Lagging tax revenues are threatening West Virginia state government with a budget deficit.

But Gov. Joe Manchin is ruling out public worker layoffs, cuts to services or tax hikes to close a hole that’s projected to grow to $100 million by the end of this budget year, June 30.

Manchin instead has asked agencies to review spending.

He also has $168 million in carry-over revenue as a cushion.

October saw general tax revenues bring in $287 million, or $1.3 million more than expected.

Taxes on coal and business activity both beat their monthly estimates.

But results have slumped for two key sources: personal income and sales taxes. That has left the state with $16 million less than expected so far this budget year. Officials believe that shortfall will grow.
Maybe they could stop spending money at the Capitol Complex. Has anybody added up the cost of the new windows, repairs to the stone work, new roofs on Bldg 5 & 6, new electrical systems. Maybe they could quit moving offices around. Maybe they could take down the tent at the Governor's Mansion. It seems to me that much of this work could be delayed until there was no budget shortfall.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
When sales revenues have slumped, continuing the knee jerk reaction to stifle the flow of capital is known to exacerbate the situation. So say economists who've studied the great depression, and so say all the kings horses/ all the kings men throughout the world when advising on the global economy. So say neo cons who force fed that economic medicine when it wasn't prescribed. Show me the contrary theory, the alternative solutions, it would have my ear. After an exhausting search for months I had unqualified opinions devoid of logic to show for my effort.

The awful truth is America and all other ancillary nations orbiting the US dollar were royally skunked by the commerce forces they believed savior. They have only themselves to blame, but it won't stop them from trying to pin that tail on another donkey.

While the global economy is cooled, building materials and labor costs are reduced. Translation: public works projects will never be cheaper to accomplish than today, and the trades retain some wind in their sails where other states suffer profound horse latitude doldrums. Graybar, for instance, prices romex based on the commodities market ticker. Re-framing the question to suit reality; Would tax payers rather $95 or $60 a coil for the same upgrade to government offices that bring them into the 21st century? The price of a T-1 line being the difference between your representation keeping up with the pace of DC or not, I'd say that's the best bang for the buck. Anyone nostalgic for the pony express is free to buy that horse, board, groom, and feed it. Sales revenues will be up then.

A few weeks ago I saw lines of school buses around the capital building and a trail of children to and from that tent. Low budget field trip I presume? Spendthrifty you allude? I'm happy they've got something to be proud of, and should never be taught to fear their government. The one obliged to serve them, the one they'll have to influence, vote on, and challenge at some point in their lives because their job as responsible citizen IS to question and scrutinize where we're being led. Blind obedience in America will kill us all. One of them just might be a Governor themselves in the distant future if they apply themselves in school, the very same opportunity offered every citizen since inception. THAT is the standard, Sir. Not one drop less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia