U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:13 PM

12,600 posts, read 16,264,881 times

Advertisements

You could still get a 304 exchange. A lot depends on exiting numbers too. Just ask your provider if you can have a 304, I'll bet you'll get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,755,720 times
TY. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,186,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
That is how it was when we lived in Md. We had 410 and 443. To me I think they should of made the cell phones and faxes with their own exchange so than you would know if you were calling them or a landline. Than maybe I wouldn't of gotten so many wrong numbers on my cell phone. We actually had a 410 for home and my cell but my husband had a 443.
I remember that idea from Tbailey, and IMO it made so much more sense considering landlines are fewer & infrequent change accounts (keep them as 304) and cell phones flip over constantly to adjust to peoples lifestyles.

That's a trend everywhere in the states, and if they don't mind the inconvenience of flipping around so much, seems logical to me to have cell phone accounts bear the brunt of that change in organization. Fax lines often aren't dedicated in smaller office settings to keep overhead to a dull roar, so I'm not sure that could work.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:08 PM

80 posts, read 227,361 times
I don't think they're running out of numbers with 304 area codes as of yet. Probably will be awhile before that happens.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM

12,600 posts, read 16,264,881 times
You know, I think the concept of 'area' codes are on the way out. I don't think twice about an area code when my home phone and cell phone generally display who is calling.

This is especially true with cell phones- I still carry the same Martinsburg exchange on my cell phone even though I live in Harrison County. All of my peers, friends, and family have that number locked and loaded. I've had that number for over 8 years. The number itself is 'me', not the area the number represents.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 PM

29 posts, read 109,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
So if I am in Charleston I will be "safe" getting a new phone number?
We are moving in a few months from Putnam to Kanawha -- unless things have changed, figure my phone number will change. Was dreading getting the new area code - when someone around here asks for your number they always assume the area code is 304. Have been dreading the confusion of not only a new number but a new area code.

Makes more sense to have the new area code in a region, not scattered across the state.

OK, I just reread the postings - so they are NOT dividing it up geographically? BooHoo.
Applying the new area code to a specific region is unfair -- local business, etc, would have to brunt the entire cost to update letterheads, and all else that is associated with it. It was determined that it would be more fair to spread the cost state-wide.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:18 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,755,406 times
I was wondering how long it would be before WV started adding area codes. Surprised with all the extra lines people have now that it didn't happen before. I'll need to call my Sister in Charleston as she's about to get a second line and see what she winds up getting. In Georgia you CAN request a specific area code when you sign up for phone service, but I think there is a modest charge for it.

In metro Atlanta there are now 4 area codes. Back when they first started adding them years ago, they tried to do the geographic bit, and yes, it's convenient because you would know what area of the metro people were calling from when you saw it on the caller ID. But they started running out of numbers quickly, so had to switch to the overlay method as they claimed it helped preserve banks of numbers a lot longer, or whatever. They still keep them in the same region though, so metro Atlanta overlays the 4 area codes in just that area - other areas of Georgia keep their own area code just for that region of the state. The exception being that in the inner-city area of Atlanta where a/c 404 is, that's the only place you can get it - the metro area can't use that one - only within the city. Georgia has a total of 9 area codes now. So we've been dialing the full 10-digit number for years, and even in the regions of the state where they still just have 1 area code they still dial the 10 digit number. You get used to it quick though - it's not as much of a pain in the butt as folks think it'll be.

Really, it helps certain types of businesses. I still see ads for businesses online in Charleston that will just publish.. 342-XXXX with no mention of any area code. If I were calling from Florida or Georgia and wanted to do business with them, it would be kind of irritating to have to look up the area code there if I didn't know it. It's good practice to just publish your entire phone number with A/C when you advertise. You never know who's going to find the ad, where they may be, and maybe want to do business with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or