U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM

12,604 posts, read 16,268,681 times

Advertisements

Published Aug 19, 1863. North Carolina trying to excercise her sovereign right to remove itself from the Confederacy of States.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...BE668388679FDE

You may have to open in .pdf, but it's an interesting read. A lot of people don't recall that 'states rights' were rebuffed by the Confederacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,760,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Today's divides are not along state, or even regional lines. They are essentially along rural-urban lines. Every state has strong "blue" and "red" areas. Nothing would approach a Civil War, but I can see political divisions along the urban-rural line for some time to come. The urban entitlement mentality will not sustain itself in the long run, and when borderline independents vote blue, it certainly is not to bring about the kinds of crap we see going on today... there will almost certainly be a big backlash next year, but it will be at the ballot box. Also, I'd definitely put money on the chief executive being a one termer. This is not a Marxist nation.
I tend to agree on the blue/red state thing really being urban versus non-urban (I'd throw the exurbs into red with the rurals). However, religion does play into it somewhat. And then there's Orange County, CA - I can't explain that one.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd suggest picking up a copy of "The Great Sort" by Bill Bishop. He talks about the reasons why we're self-segragating into like-minded political communities.

I may not agree with your politics but I love a good argument. I think times are much more interesting now than in the bland 70's when you couldn't really tell the two parties from one another (according to Bishop because we were disillusioned by Watergate).

My problem is I can't find a party that reflects all my values - fiscal conservatism combined with social libertarianism. I think maybe Perot came closest.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My problem is I can't find a party that reflects all my values - fiscal conservatism combined with social libertarianism. I think maybe Perot came closest.
William F. Buckley. Fairly social libertarian but recognized needs for certain 'social requirements' like education- things like that.

Let's get some shovels, lol.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 PM

10,123 posts, read 12,766,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Published Aug 19, 1863. North Carolina trying to excercise her sovereign right to remove itself from the Confederacy of States.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...BE668388679FDE

You may have to open in .pdf, but it's an interesting read. A lot of people don't recall that 'states rights' were rebuffed by the Confederacy.
That's interesting, and I didn't know that. It is not surprising though. Support for the Confederacy was far from universal in any state. In Virginia, it was a bare majority. Even Robert E. Lee was very torn about the issue, finally deciding to throw in with his state.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 PM

It's been forgotten that the Confederation of States wanted, or had to, centralize power in order to fight against the very same thing they espoused fighting against. Their Constitution was similar, their imposed tariffs similar...

I guess the argument that some claim that the flag means 'states rights' vs. 'centralized authority' is sort of amusing when you view it from the historical perspective.

In other words- the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,207,572 times
i fly mine too, and i am an african american with an emphasis on the American Part of which i am very proud! i am a southerner born and bred, but have lived in the north for a good many years in Pennsylvania, rhode island, and New York and i have seen it as much up there as i did growing up in SC, Florida, Texas or Mississippi.

if WV is a proud southern state, by golly it should fly the stars and bars loud and proud.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,207,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
William F. Buckley. Fairly social libertarian but recognized needs for certain 'social requirements' like education- things like that.

Let's get some shovels, lol.
try the constitution party or states rights party

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM

I vote for whomever is the best candidate. I'm now Independent.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,454,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

I have the same problem... just on the opposite end of the spectrum. I feel like I don't have a party choice because the Democrats are becoming too moderate for my highly liberal preferences.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM

39 posts, read 114,993 times

In honor of the 44th President of the United States, Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream has introduced a new flavor: " Barocky Road ."

Barocky Road is a blend of half vanilla, half chocolate, and surrounded by nuts and flakes. The vanilla portion of the mix is not openly advertised and usually denied as an ingredient. The nuts and flakes are all very bitter and hard to swallow.

The cost is $100.00 per scoop.

When purchased it will be presented to you in a large beautiful cone, but then the ice cream is taken away and given to the person in line behind you.

You are left with an empty wallet and no change, holding an empty cone with no hope of getting any ice cream.

Are you stimulated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia