Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times

Advertisements

Depends on your idea of what "city" or "close to" is. I live about 5 miles from a hospital (not a level 1 trauma or anything...) but Beckley and Lewisburg are an easy drive down I-64. That's about as "big city" as I need. If you're hard into theater and the performing arts, this may not be the place to be. There is plenty of it around, but it's small scale, local stuff.
Bottom line: WV (or any rural lifestyle) isn't for everyone. I, for one, am willing to sacrifice proximity for peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
I lived in the mountains of the Catskills in New York for quite a few years. The area was absolutely beautiful, but I found that I was constantly driving to big cities to have something to do. I had to drive to go shopping, see a movie, buy a car or go to the drugstore. Winters were impossible because of all of the cold weather and snow. I now live in the suburbs of Richmond Va. I have all of the services I need within 5 miles of where I live. I can drive a short distance to the city and see a play or visit a museum. I am much happier where I live now and could never ever return to the isolation of the mountains. I visit West Virginia frequently and am awed by the beauty and majesty of the mountains. For me, they are lovely to visit and even lovelier to leave. Different strokes for different folks. Nobody can tell you what is best for you. Just bear in mind that just because a place is great to visit, does not mean that you will be happy living there 24/7. Good luck in your quest.
Great story! Thanks for sharing with us! Those of us searching for new places to call 'home' constantly weigh these factors. As I got older I thought it would be an easy decision to make but now look at it as another transition in life that requires one to really know thyself.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Thanks again for the many replies. I love reading these stories and insights and experiences. I'm in the big city now (Norfolk, VA) and the plan is, to go to WV when we're able to stop working. In a perfect world, that'll be less than five years.

I understand that commuting to and fro would be tough. Heck, even making the trek "to the city" can be tough. In the early 1990s, I lived in the tiny village of Elsah, IL and it was 25 minutes to town to buy bananas or eggs or even a candy bar, so I know about living in a remote area.

Thanks again for the replies. They've very helpful.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Why did you live in the slums and ghettos of those big cities?

I think you brought your 'ghetto survivor attitude to Wv and it didn't mix.

Now that you have built a box of hatred around you, it's impossible to function.

Time for some counseling or this trend of being a victim will go on and on...
Give you priest/pastor an earfull and then listen intently to what he/she has to say.

I feel with some therapy, you could be a constructive, positive element in your community.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
the women here are so poor and have lived with so little opportunity they are envious and devious.

Get turned down a lot do you?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:24 AM

68 posts, read 187,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedToW.Va.BigMistake View Post
. . they are really mean jealous suspicious hicks
Main Entry: hick
Pronunciation: \ˈhik\
Function: noun
Etymology: Hick, nickname for Richard
Date: 1669
: an unsophisticated provincial person
-- Merriam-Webster Dictionary

As far as jealous, the biblical god decribed himself as such. Are you saying the people of West Virginia are god-like?

Richard

Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
I think, after the second or third coat got stolen, that I wouldn't be taking my coat off again.

And are there alligators in the Ohio, guard shacks on the Interstates? I was under the impression that people could pretty much leave when they wanted to.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
This thread has kind of taken on a life of its own. I still pine for the state of West Virginia and I still dream of moving there. However, money is an object and hubby is an object and my wonderful enthusiasm for a new chapter in my fifth decade of life is starting to wane. Sigh.

However, these posts are inspiring.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM

37 posts, read 79,396 times
Don't give up! I was born and raised in St. Louis and would have never thought I would be wanting to move to West Virginia. But now I can't wait.
Tom

Old 12-20-2009, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 15,428 times
Move here, I did. WV. is where we wanted to be, in the mountains. Friendly people. Nice environment, and contrary to popular belief, the people are educated, intellectual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia