Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Actually, back in the 19th century, MOST immigrants didn't speak English in New York City. In fact, towards the end of the 19th century, English wasn't spoken by the majority of its citizens. Italian, Polish, Yiddish, and others were their only language. And violence has always followed poor imigrants. They are in a hostile place where nobody wants to give them work. They tend to gravitate towards crime. Just like the Irish and Italians before them, they will become less crime prone as more generations grow up here. The Irish were very violent are the time of the Civil War. Ever hear that poem, "Irish Need Not Apply?" And the Italians. The romanticized mafioso history explains itself. They were seen as second-tier citizen criminals, too. But after a while, that all just melted away. Their children assimilated, and they have totally melted into the American landscape.

The same will happen to Latinos.

I say we just annex Mexico and open our borders. All of the US "jobs" already are going overseas. And overseas, they only pay them pennies on the dollar. If we bring the workers to the US, at least they can demand minimum wage and other labor laws. Then they will not gravitate towards crime. They are going to come to the US no matter what. Nothing will stop them. Attempting it for this long has only led to failure.
It's not the same at all. Those people in the 19th. century sought above all to assimilate. These people are not doing so. And, while there was more crime among them, they came in the door as inviteees... not as unwelcome intruders without permission, and they did not seek social services at taxpayer expense. They stood in line, waited their turn, and came in because we needed the labor. That is not at all the case with the latest hoard. We have nearly 10% unemployment, and they are a primary cause for it. And, your suggestion that we simply annex Mexico with their 100 million mostly illiterate and unskilled population is incredibly naive. You really should think about the ramifications of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Seriously, what do you do? I was just looking in the Beckley paper and I'm kind of surprised by the number of Help Wanted ads.
There was a time when work in the construction field could provide a decent living for a person. It is fortunately still largely that way in West Virginia, and its important we keep it that way. Along the East Coast, illegals have basically ruined the industry... working for substandard wages, living a dozen or more in a rental unit and sending the money out of the country. They pay next to no taxes, and when they do it is generally with a stolen identity. They would put you in prison if you were to do that. They should be put there too.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
As liberal as I may be.. would you guys please come to Herndon, VA and see how bad illegals have made it? It's so bad in NoVa, that the mexicans are the upper class of illegals. The central americans are the barbarians that have ruined certain areas of the metro region. Mexicans look down their nose at salvadorians too...

Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It's not the same at all. Those people in the 19th. century sought above all to assimilate.
They want the American dream. They come to America for the same reason your ancestors probably did. None of which were primarily to "assimilate". Get work, get property, avoid religious persecution, political persecution, etc, etc. The grass was greener.

Quote:
And, while there was more crime among them, they came in the door as inviteees... not as unwelcome intruders without permission, and they did not seek social services at taxpayer expense.
The situation is only different because of the laws created since The New Deal that create a social safety net and the illegalization of free immigration. The spirit in which they come here is overwhelmingly similar. They want a better life for their children...and their children's children. If I was born in Mexico, you're damn straight I'd come to America whether or not it was illegal. It's too worth it. You can actually go to work and live a comfortable life.

Quote:
They stood in line, waited their turn, and came in because we needed the labor.
Really wasn't a line back then. If you didn't have polio, you were pretty much good to go. I'm just saying...if they are willing to come here, go to work, and pay taxes, we shouldn't limit them. Because immigration laws won't stop them. May as well ensure that we tax them when they come to work here whether we like it or not, because whatever ideas you have to stop it won't work. It's like the drug war. Make it easier for workers to come in, do legit work, and be taxed...and make the punishment for not paying taxation jail time for the employer. Not just a fine. And the fine should be hefty. That's the other crux of my argument. Everyone is focused on the desperate. Like targeting junkies rather than drug dealers. The immigrants are the ones desperate enough to illegally enter a country. Those that pay them are preying upon them. THEY are the ones that need severely punished and THEY are the ones you need to point your finger at.

Quote:
We have nearly 10% unemployment, and they are a primary cause for it.
The Mexicans didn't devalue the dollar, nor did they lend subprime loans to people. What paranoid bizarroland universe did you come from?

Quote:
And, your suggestion that we simply annex Mexico with their 100 million mostly illiterate and unskilled population is incredibly naive. You really should think about the ramifications of that one.
I wasn't being serious. They probably wouldn't just let us have it.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:22 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Where do you report illegal workers...

1. Nearest city building inspector and police department if work is being done inside the city limits.

2. County Commission and Sheriff department if no zoning exists.

3. In all cases, Attorney General in Charleston. I will say that this man (Darrell McGraw) is really doing an incredible job for our state. 800-368-8808

4. Wv Contractor License Board and Division of Labor is the policing agency for the state 304-558-7890
This agency will send out an investigating agent to the jobsite within 24 hours.

5. Federals? They are not interested.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
The Immigration and Naturalization Service, which I believe is now part of Homeland Security.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
They want the American dream. They come to America for the same reason your ancestors probably did. None of which were primarily to "assimilate". Get work, get property, avoid religious persecution, political persecution, etc, etc. The grass was greener.

The situation is only different because of the laws created since The New Deal that create a social safety net and the illegalization of free immigration. The spirit in which they come here is overwhelmingly similar. They want a better life for their children...and their children's children. If I was born in Mexico, you're damn straight I'd come to America whether or not it was illegal. It's too worth it. You can actually go to work and live a comfortable life.

Really wasn't a line back then. If you didn't have polio, you were pretty much good to go. I'm just saying...if they are willing to come here, go to work, and pay taxes, we shouldn't limit them. Because immigration laws won't stop them. May as well ensure that we tax them when they come to work here whether we like it or not, because whatever ideas you have to stop it won't work. It's like the drug war. Make it easier for workers to come in, do legit work, and be taxed...and make the punishment for not paying taxation jail time for the employer. Not just a fine. And the fine should be hefty. That's the other crux of my argument. Everyone is focused on the desperate. Like targeting junkies rather than drug dealers. The immigrants are the ones desperate enough to illegally enter a country. Those that pay them are preying upon them. THEY are the ones that need severely punished and THEY are the ones you need to point your finger at.

The Mexicans didn't devalue the dollar, nor did they lend subprime loans to people. What paranoid bizarroland universe did you come from?

I wasn't being serious. They probably wouldn't just let us have it.
"What paranoid bizzaroland"? Where have you been? Apparently you haven't been to Brewster, NY ... a once lovely suburban town where now it isn't safe on the streets at night. Or, you haven't been paying the taxes in Danbury, CT where you are supporting social services for illicit people who aren't supposed to be there. My suspicion is you haven't seen your unemployed neighbor not be able to find work while you can see some illegal working "off the books" just down the block.

Close the borders, and do it now! There is too much at stake, and we no longer need hoards of cheap unskilled labor here. Our ancestors sacrificed too much to provide us with the greatest nation on earth to see it ruined by stupid policies that only benefit the super rich and the radical left politicians as well as those who have absolutely no right to our resources.

Also, your position that people should be able to break in our back door because we have it better here is rediculous. That's like saying I should be able to take something from the local jewelry store because it is something I can't afford. We have it better here because our ancestors paid the price to make it better, and they had a right to pass that legacy on to us. If they want a better life, they should do what it takes to make their own country a better place.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM

246 posts, read 880,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david kennedy View Post
where do you report illegal workers...

1. Nearest city building inspector and police department if work is being done inside the city limits.

2. County commission and sheriff department if no zoning exists.

3. In all cases, attorney general in charleston. I will say that this man (darrell mcgraw) is really doing an incredible job for our state. 800-368-8808

4. Wv contractor license board and division of labor is the policing agency for the state 304-558-7890
this agency will send out an investigating agent to the jobsite within 24 hours.

5. Federals? They are not interested.

i called the 558 number and it went into a circular phone press 1,2,3 etc.. Mcgraw's office is closed. I am trying to rat out some illegals oh excuse me *******s!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

175 posts, read 564,857 times
Ravenswood is overflowing with "migrant" farm workers who no longer migrate with the seasonal crops. They all work across the river in Ohio during the growing and harvest seasons but live and remain in Ravenswood year round. When they break the law and are arrested they are "cut loose" because they can't make bail and deportation is too expensive. Most of the money they make from farm labor in Ohio and Pot sales in West Virginia goes straight back to Mexico. This is not just a local problem.....it's nationwide, and coupled with the benefits previously ascribed in this thread it's sucking our economy dry!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
The states will be forced to handle this costly situation.

It's become an economic parasite for/on everybody.

Wv charges a person to go to jail...I can see why the illegals are left free to commit other crimes.

Perhaps its time to change the immigration law that protects children born here...(In its day, it was a wonder gift to the immigrant)

Rome would let you buy citizenship but the children of slaves where not free born in their society as they are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia