U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 PM
 
10,092 posts, read 12,747,015 times
Reputation: 1750

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Ok, clearly you're on a rant. Some Hispanic person has obviously pi$$ed you off an now you have a vendetta against them. Did you go to every states message board and post this garbage? People also said these comments when the Irish came over in large numbers, then the Germans and Italians got the same treatment. Now, people like you and FOX news are treating Hispanic people like this. I really hate to break this to you, but not every Hispanic person you see is illegal. 90%+ are legal and many actually had family here before the southwest was even apart of the United States. White people invaded land that was rightfully Hispanic and Native Americans homeland.

I think people in West Virginia need to be less concerned with what a racist in Texas thinks and what laws we should pass, and more on issues actually affecting the state and trying to make the state a better place.

1. Rockefeller is a Democrat, and I think it would be safe to say he is a fairly moderate an progressive Dem at that, I don't think he is about to draw up legislation for bigotry. 2. I think you're confusing our federal senator with one or our state senators, who would actually have the ability to propose legislation that directly affects West Virginia rules and laws. 3. Also, as Jesco White said, a majority of people do not consider WV a part of the south.

I'd personally like to start a grassroots movement to ban ignorant and racist people from West Virginia. There's an idea
Racist? Really? Wanting to protect American culture and the American worker is racist? I think folks who want to do that want to protect all American workers, of any race, who are here legally. You say the same thing was said about my Irish ancestors when they came here? I don't think so. Oh, there was prejudice to be sure then, but those folks were invited to come because they were needed. The country actually needed workers. We have 10% official unemployment now (the actual number is considerably higher).

Also, my ancestors didn't come here expecting special services in a foreign language, they didn't seek to impose their traditions on Americans, and they didn't flock to social service agencies to get on the dole. You can't in any logical way compare the immigration of the early 1800s to the illegal invasion we see happening today. To do so is an affront to those who came here the right way, and is in essence unpatriotic and harmful to America. We have as much right as any other country to have our borders respected and that is in no way racist.

Throwing that garbage racist label out every time someone has a differing viewpoint is disgusting. You should be ashamed. Apparently you aren't personally among the victims of the current policy like so many others are. If you like illegal aliens so much why don't you go hang out in their country? Oh, wait... they actually put people in prison there who enter their country illegally so you probably wouldn't want to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM
 
10,092 posts, read 12,747,015 times
Reputation: 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
Illegal is illegal and if you are you don't belong here. My Grandparents came over from Italy LEGALLY and had all 9 children learn english. My Father doesn't know any Italian because my Grandmother and Grandfather learned english which is our countries language.

I am all for going the route Alabama went and think it's the right thing to do. Too many legal West Virginians are suffering, trying to find jobs and support used up by illegals.
Exactly right. Same with my Irish and German ancestors. That is in no way related to the illegal alien mess we are experiencing. They are literally ruining some areas. I have seen it first hand. Hopefully we are smart enough to enact policies that don't attract them here or we will be in the same mess. Come here legally, or don't come at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,450,860 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Racist? Really? Wanting to protect American culture and the American worker is racist? I think folks who want to do that want to protect all American workers, of any race, who are here legally. You say the same thing was said about my Irish ancestors when they came here? I don't think so. Oh, there was prejudice to be sure then, but those folks were invited to come because they were needed. The country actually needed workers. We have 10% official unemployment now (the actual number is considerably higher).

Also, my ancestors didn't come here expecting special services in a foreign language, they didn't seek to impose their traditions on Americans, and they didn't flock to social service agencies to get on the dole. You can't in any logical way compare the immigration of the early 1800s to the illegal invasion we see happening today. To do so is an affront to those who came here the right way, and is in essence unpatriotic and harmful to America. We have as much right as any other country to have our borders respected and that is in no way racist.

Throwing that garbage racist label out every time someone has a differing viewpoint is disgusting. You should be ashamed. Apparently you aren't personally among the victims of the current policy like so many others are. If you like illegal aliens so much why don't you go hang out in their country? Oh, wait... they actually put people in prison there who enter their country illegally so you probably wouldn't want to do that.


YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED actually, you can say and think whatever makes you feel better and sleep at night, but thinking THAT way... is un-American. Call it racism, or sugarcoat it and say its anti-immigration blah blah whatever, its the same steaming turd.

Yeah, the immigrants of the 1900's were sent cordial little letters inviting them to America, with promise of a job, and accepting people, and a kiss on the cheek when they got here. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Who was your history teacher??? The Irish were actually starving because of the potato famine and were going anywhere in pure desperation and in survival mode. It didn't matter if they had a job when they got here, at least there was foo here. They couldn't even steal food in Ireland. There wasn't any!!! Of course, those lucky Americans already here were doing the same thing then as they are now. Making racial slurs and propaganda and forgetting that just a few short generations ago their families were those people getting off the boat. It's funny how quickly people forget that...

So tell me, these Mexicans and people of Hispanic ancestry that are just flocking to America, I'm assuming they have MBA's in Human Resources, Teaching Degrees, Criminal Justice Degrees... They're really taking jobs away from the hard working natives I tell you. Get real, they're lucky if they get jobs as gardens, day labors or hotel maids. How many of those people who lost their jobs making 50k,75k,100k + are going to go to work at the Days Inn cleaning rooms for 10k a year???

Protecting American culture... hmm. What is American culture? Was it here before the immigrants, and the immigrants just found it lying around? No, our culture is made of aspects of many cultures all over the world. Culture changes... EVERYTHING CHANGES... that is inevitable, and the sooner you and others who deny it, realize that, the world will be a lot less scary. Our culture will continue to change, and lo siento, but we will adopt some cultural traits from Hispanic culture.

Coming here the right way... ahh, now we are getting on a touchy subject. I have ancestors who came here illegally and there were many others in this country who also came here illegally. Italians... A racist term even came about because of the prejudice and hate. I don't think I need to clarify which one I'm discussing.

Luckily, the view which you apparently have, as well as that of the Texan, and the Fox News sheeples subscribe to will wane in the coming decades. Until a new group of immigrants starts coming to America and then some of the newly affluent Hispanic Americans will do the same thing.

Nativism (politics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anti-Immigration Propaganda from 1896 Below



Same old racist lies about immigrants and disease, century on|26Feb05|Socialist Worker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 AM
 
10,092 posts, read 12,747,015 times
Reputation: 1750
We are a nation of laws which are designed to protect all of us. Expecting that others would respect our laws is very American. Making excuses for those who don't is unAmerican, unless you choose to be a part of society that wants to rewrite history or focus on political correctness rather than facts. It's a free country, and you have your opinion. I wasn't there with your illegal ancestors, and wouldn't make excuses for them either, but I suspect conditions were quite different then than they are today and they weren't stepping on any toes, stealing any identities, or taking Americans' jobs away from them when they came here.

I don't want this to turn into something nasty, but who was my "history teacher"? My family (both sides) came here and went to work right away in legal jobs as needed labor. They didn't steal anybody's identity to do it, didn't work "off the books", and didn't take a job from somebody's teenager because the employer wouldn't have to pay taxes on the wages. Obviously there would have to be motivation for anybody to leave their native land, and starvation along with the promise of work elsewhere were indeed powerful motivation. I fail to see how you can draw that parallel. My history was not rewritten to suit some political correctness fantasy, and the current crop is coming here under entirely different circumstances.

You can, of course, choose to feel sorry for them. It is "understandable" that they would choose to be here because it is better here, even with our current high unemployment. But that does not make it right for them to break in the back door and circumvent the normal process, cutting in front of those who would do it the right way just because we have more. There is a reason we have more... we have earned it the right way on the backs of our ancestors and through our own hard work. There is no logic in letting others come in on the cheap, especially if they are breaking our laws to do it.

I can see you haven't spent any significant time in an area that has been inundated with illegal aliens. I spent many years in such places. There are drastic and nasty consequences from that situation. Social service and educational systems are flooded with them as basically unfunded mandates since there is little Federal reimbursement and since the illegals themselves pay little (some sales tax only) to no taxes. Their presence detracts from local governments' ability to serve legitimate citizens and takes valuable educational resources from children of citizens and legitimate residents.

The criminal justice system is absolutely flooded with them. How would I know that? I didn't learn that from my history teacher. I learned that first hand from having worked in the system for more than two decades. They impose a crushing burden on the states and local governments, as well as the Federal criminal justice system. That situation (thankfully) has not yet reached epidemic proportions in West Virginia but it is only a matter of time unless steps are taken to avoid it. I am starting to see illegals working on construction projects in this area. Anchor babies and the other consequences are bound to follow.

Hide your head in the sand and preach the liberal rhetoric, ignoring obvious facts, if you choose. But your position is utterly destructive to our country, and one sided blind idealism is not the answer. Even if you take that approach, you have to consider the rights of our own people who are harmed by the invasion as well as the rights violated of the people who get in line and seek to immigrate in the legal manner. It certainly has nothing to do with racism. It has everything to do with logic and justice.

As an old guy, I'm a little "challenged" in terms of this electronic stuff but if I can figure out how to post photos here I'll show you some photos of some of the folks you are so eager to defend. I have a feeling your illegal ancestors wouldn't have wanted to have been associated with them.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 06-15-2011 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 AM
 
10,092 posts, read 12,747,015 times
Reputation: 1750
I want to address something else you said. You say this view will be on the wane? I think you are very wrong. Many legal hispanics are coming to be of the opinion that strict enforcement of immigration laws is necessary for their well being too. When the flood gates are opened, it benefits nobody and is especially harmful to them and other minorities whose jobs are the first to be taken by the illegals. In addition, culture conflict is the natural outcome. If you think that isn't the case, you must not have lived in such an area. How do you think the Mexicans, for example, would react to a sudden influx of Americans seeking to take over their country and culture? No country would tolerate it.


YouTube - ‪Mexicans and Illegals Take Over Maywood CA Post Office and Raise Mexican Flag‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,753 times
Reputation: 22
Some people don't think it's bad but CT Mountaineer is right. When I was in high school in Texas there were few hispanics in public schools. The ones that were were American citizens, loved the U.S.A. and spoke and wrote the english language quire nicely. They also graduated and went to college. Today, in the city where I live the public school system is about 40% hispanic, 40% black, and 20% white. About 30 percent of hispanics graduate high school and 70 percent don't. Of the total hispanics at least 80% are illegals or anchor babies of illegals. This is in a city of 1,000,000 people. The other cities of 1,000,000 + or- people have it just as bad or worse. Gangs are rampant and mexican cartels and gangs are highly visable and particpating in crimes of every kind in those cities. It would be very hard for a state like West Virginia to overcome this onslaught, especially with a total population of 1.8 million people. D O N " T B E N I A V E !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,753 times
Reputation: 22
Afraid a citizens arrest won't do it, but I give the country about six more years before there's a civil war over this, states begin secceding because of this, or we elect a Hitler type of politician to protect us and round people up because of this. There is only so much frustration people can take before it turns into hostility. The sixties was like that, but it will be worse this time. It will be more like the Arab Spring now happening in north Africa. Maybe the next president will have intestinal fortitude to actually get a R E A L immigration bill and actually follow up on it. You can thank Ted Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson and the 1965 immigration bill for making this posibble. While they're probably roasting in H*** right now, that will never undo the horrific damage that they did to the U.S.A. As to the comment about Senator Rockerfeller, of West Virginia, being a moderate democrat, I wouldn't think his fellow members at the Bilderberg meeting, in St. Moritz Switzerland last week would agree with you. Maybe he will come to West Virginias aid and get help from his fellow Council on Foreign Relations members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,450,860 times
Reputation: 812
Well you think your way and I'll think mine. I obviously haven't been around places surrounded by illegal immigration, I mean Phoenix, Arizona is just a sea of white people everywhere I tell ya. No, I'm at ground zero here and I see the positive things immigration does for an area instead of just focusing on the negative. I have to admit I only read about half of what you ever write because I just find it ridiculous but I tried realllllly, realllllly hard this time and finished it. Again, I find your hate speech full of b/s and lacking any factual information backing up your needless irrational fear of immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
 
1,442 posts, read 2,283,794 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well you think your way and I'll think mine. I obviously haven't been around places surrounded by illegal immigration, I mean Phoenix, Arizona is just a sea of white people everywhere I tell ya. No, I'm at ground zero here and I see the positive things immigration does for an area instead of just focusing on the negative. I have to admit I only read about half of what you ever write because I just find it ridiculous but I tried realllllly, realllllly hard this time and finished it. Again, I find your hate speech full of b/s and lacking any factual information backing up your needless irrational fear of immigrants.
Herd Fan - strrrrrrrrrrrike one
Liberal - strrrrrrrrrrrike two
Pro Illegals - youuuuuuurrrrrrrr out!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,450,860 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Herd Fan - strrrrrrrrrrrike one
Liberal - strrrrrrrrrrrike two
Pro Illegals - youuuuuuurrrrrrrr out!!!!!!!!!!!
I care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top