U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM

10,126 posts, read 12,770,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
How do you know they're illegal? Do you do random checks on the street of anyone darker than khaki shorts? "HEY STOP!!! Sir, you look Hispanic I'm going to need to see some proof of citizenship." Come on! You're just profiling and assuming they're illegal.

Actually you all, check out the last name on his screen name... hmmmmm

Would you mind sending me a copy of your birth certificate or passport? We can never be too sure apparently
They don't and can't do that. They can, however, determine immigration status if somebody is stopped for violating another law just as they can question any other matters in such times. They can also do sweeps of suspected businesses and determine the immigration status of everyone (not select individuals) who work there. Just as with any other law, there has to be reasonable cause for authorities to act.

In many cities (Danbury, Connecticut of Brewster, NY for example) illicits group together mornings for day labor jobs, clogging traffic and so forth. Nearly all of these jobs are $100 per day off the books, and they take construction jobs away from legitimate workers. And to those who claim illegals "pay up" at tax times I say rediculous. Just because they pay some sales tax on the cigarettes and beer they buy does not mean they pay anything close to a real share of taxes. And, those who steal identities and thus pay taxes that way are commiting other felonies in the process, so how could that be counted as a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM

79,575 posts, read 35,869,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
How do you know they're illegal?
The government keeps statistics on those sort of things.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 PM

385 posts, read 540,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
And, those who steal identities and thus pay taxes that way are commiting other felonies in the process, so how could that be counted as a good thing?
Um, most of them put down a really high number of deductions so have almost nothing taken out of payroll taxes. It's then up to the AmCit whose SSN was stolen to take the time and money (sometimes it takes an attorney, and they ain't cheap) to prove to the IRS that there was no way they could work both a full-time job in one state and a part-time job in another state.

Then there's this guy's problem...
Identity Theft and Bank Accounts

Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 PM

93 posts, read 321,927 times
Taking a stand against illegal immigration is NOT racist. If you want an open border, maybe you should go to MExico. There are plenty of American (black, brown and white) who are jobless in this recession! Your brains are filled with liberal media programmed bull****, you are programmed by your instituions, which taught you WHAT to think instead of HOW to think. Because of scum like you, pretending to represent the average blue collar fellow in WV, poor people are becoming more poor. Thanks for ****ting on the average guy who needs to make minimum wage work for a lifetime in this country (not on a 5 yr stal from America plan). Mean while you are just wanting to feel part of a new order movement that claims to be the hippy and open minded. Dirt bags.

COMMON SENSE IS NOT SO COMMON ANYMORE. Why would anyone have to argue about ILLEGAL immigration, the illegal part should guide you! Jesus!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,950,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They don't and can't do that. They can, however, determine immigration status if somebody is stopped for violating another law just as they can question any other matters in such times. They can also do sweeps of suspected businesses and determine the immigration status of everyone (not select individuals) who work there. Just as with any other law, there has to be reasonable cause for authorities to act.

In many cities (Danbury, Connecticut of Brewster, NY for example) illicits group together mornings for day labor jobs, clogging traffic and so forth. Nearly all of these jobs are $100 per day off the books, and they take construction jobs away from legitimate workers. And to those who claim illegals "pay up" at tax times I say rediculous. Just because they pay some sales tax on the cigarettes and beer they buy does not mean they pay anything close to a real share of taxes. And, those who steal identities and thus pay taxes that way are commiting other felonies in the process, so how could that be counted as a good thing?
LOL , The locals are feeding the problem by hiring the Day laborers....but i admit i do it to and my neighbors....in this region ppl look for cheap labor and we also feel a Human need to help them. They don't take the safe Construction jobs , but the dangerous ones that sane human would pass up.....but Illegal or Northern Mexicans as i call them will do anything. Majority of illegals are coming here to work or get an Education , but there is that 15% here to deal drugs or cause chaos.... I think the Immigration process needs to be fixed so ppl are encouraged to come here legally instead of legally. English should be a Requirement , but don't try to Americanize the person.....that will backfire and make the country bland. I think whatever happens needs to be well thought out , you cannot deport the Millions of Illegals here , that would be wayy to expensive and further damage the American image on a global scale. You need to close the hole , and work with the ppl you have. Americans also need to realize that the country has become very lazy , and most ppl are still select when it comes to jobs. Thus Immigrants will always take jobs , Americans don't want. There also seems to be a generation issue , my Generation wants to solve this issue the right way as you can say , while the older Generations want to deport and fine everyone. You need to strike the perfect balance. As for Illegals being on Welfare , in many states they cannot get it , since there illegal. Americans are starting to become welfare addicts.

BTW , Brewster and Danbury are large towns and not cities....

Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM

79,575 posts, read 35,869,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , The locals are feeding the problem by hiring the Day laborers....but i admit i do it to and my neighbors....in this region ppl look for cheap labor and we also feel a Human need to help them. They don't take the safe Construction jobs , but the dangerous ones that sane human would pass up.....but Illegal or Northern Mexicans as i call them will do anything.
Really? What sort of insane construction is going on in New jersey?

Quote:
Majority of illegals are coming here to work or get an Education , but there is that 15% here to deal drugs or cause chaos.... I think the Immigration process needs to be fixed so ppl are encouraged to come here legally instead of legally. English should be a Requirement , but don't try to Americanize the person.....that will backfire and make the country bland. I think whatever happens needs to be well thought out , you cannot deport the Millions of Illegals here , that would be wayy to expensive and further damage the American image on a global scale.
You don't have to. You just cut off the supply of jobs and they will leave on their own in large part. It happened on it's own during this recession. It's not going to be "cheap" labor when you are fined $250,000 per illegal you hire.

Quote:
You need to close the hole , and work with the ppl you have. Americans also need to realize that the country has become very lazy , and most ppl are still select when it comes to jobs. Thus Immigrants will always take jobs , Americans don't want.
This simply is not true and I've already covered it. There are jobs that not enough people are willing to work sub minimum wage for. Pay them a fair wage and they will take them.

Quote:
There also seems to be a generation issue , my Generation wants to solve this issue the right way as you can say , while the older Generations want to deport and fine everyone. You need to strike the perfect balance. As for Illegals being on Welfare , in many states they cannot get it , since there illegal. Americans are starting to become welfare addicts.

BTW , Brewster and Danbury are large towns and not cities....
You've stated nothing in a way to solve the problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM

404 posts, read 972,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
Taking a stand against illegal immigration is NOT racist. If you want an open border, maybe you should go to MExico. There are plenty of American (black, brown and white) who are jobless in this recession! Your brains are filled with liberal media programmed bull****, you are programmed by your instituions, which taught you WHAT to think instead of HOW to think. Because of scum like you, pretending to represent the average blue collar fellow in WV, poor people are becoming more poor. Thanks for ****ting on the average guy who needs to make minimum wage work for a lifetime in this country (not on a 5 yr stal from America plan). Mean while you are just wanting to feel part of a new order movement that claims to be the hippy and open minded. Dirt bags.

COMMON SENSE IS NOT SO COMMON ANYMORE. Why would anyone have to argue about ILLEGAL immigration, the illegal part should guide you! Jesus!
Holy crap! You're spouting your drivel over here too?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

93 posts, read 321,927 times
Jesco, I grew up in western VA and WV,....You are a transplant yank.....So I feel more qualified to state an opinion here than you ! Your some northern liberal piece of crap trying to impress the mountain folk in these forums, its not working!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,802,575 times
I posted something similar in the FL forum here
(where in FL was there a lower % of illegals b/c I don't want to be near them)
and I was called a racist.

There was no person other than me, in the few pages the thread went on,
who feels the way I do and the way it seems most on this WV forum do.

Oh, and I'm in Northern Virginia now and to speak to the point brought up early in this thread,
there are a ton of them here, hanging around on corners waiting for jobs,
doing crappy construction work, doing all the landscaping, etc.
Don't let anyone tell you they aren't over here.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM

404 posts, read 972,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee77 View Post
Jesco, I grew up in western VA and WV,....You are a transplant yank.....So I feel more qualified to state an opinion here than you ! Your some northern liberal piece of crap trying to impress the mountain folk in these forums, its not working!

I've spent my years divided between WV and Charlottesville, with family going back many generations in both places. The last thing anyone would describe my heritage as is "yank". I'm not trying to impress anyone, but I'm also not embarrassing the good people of both states by spouting off like an uninformed redneck like some other people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia