Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

Breaking the law is breaking the law...and this has nothing to do with people with dark skins...

What if a mob was beating up your boyfriend, Cody...would you want someone to phone the cops or stand idly by and not get involved.

These illegals have brought in more problems than the labor they provide...if they want to come here...let them use the immigration process....it's still available if my memory serves me correctly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Studies have actually shown that, with the exception of high school drop-outs and other woefully under-skilled people, the economic impact of illegal immigration on American jobs is negligible.
Vells - we're talking WV here.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:24 PM

I think it's the easy way out to blame others for your own problems. Maybe you should spend your energy working a bit harder and smarter and you won't need to worry about who's doing the menial labor.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Breaking the law is breaking the law...and this has nothing to do with people with dark skins...

What if a mob was beating up your boyfriend, Cody...would you want someone to phone the cops or stand idly by and not get involved.

These illegals have brought in more problems than the labor they provide...if they want to come here...let them use the immigration process....it's still available if my memory serves me correctly...
Ironically it would probably be relatives of those people calling in and reporting illegals that would be beating Jake up. Are you going to tell me that these people are just immigrants but don't mind the gays? ha ha

Of course I would want someone to call the police if a mob were beating Jake up. It would take a mob too, considering he works out 5 days a week. I'm lucky to get three days a week in.

Breaking the law is breaking the law, you're right. I'd be willing to bet many of us break the law too though. I admit it, I do every time I drive. I'm just saying maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge the pot if we're black too.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Excellent Tom Russell song on this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/v/LZkAoosVLkA&hl=en&fs=1

Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Excellent Tom Russell song on this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/v/LZkAoosVLkA&hl=en&fs=1
.... gotta say, that song speaks the truth.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:59 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Grrrr! CT, Hinton Bound, and David - I can't rep y'all till I spread it around.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
West Virginia is 'Our house...if people want to come to visit (work) they need to wipe their feet before they enter.

Get my drift?

I'll bet your shoes are by the door as I write this....ha ha.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 AM

88 posts, read 234,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
West Virginia is 'Our house...if people want to come to visit (work) they need to wipe their feet before they enter.

Get my drift?

I'll bet your shoes are by the door as I write this....ha ha.

Okay, I gues it's futile to ask a bunch of people who are ostensibly high school dropouts afraid that undocumented immigrants will take their jobs away, and whose only frame of reference is Fox News talking points to go and "do their homework" on the issue.

When I lived in WV, I met a lot of people who were very conscious of the social, economic, and political struggles in Appalachia's past. Then, you have the people who run around spewing off their half-informed (and often erroneous) opinions validating the stereotypes against West Virginians as bigoted and ignorant.

Bottom line, though: if you're in the construction business and your competitors are undercutting your bids by hiring undocumented workers and paying them a substandard wage under the table, then, sure, report those companies as suspect. Unfortunately, though, unless you happen to know whether or not someone has a work permit (and, by the way, lots of people from El Salvador, Nicaragua, etc, actually are here legally under political asylum status granted them or their parents by Reagan in the 1980's), all you're doing is racial profiling and "guessing" that someone of darker complection and speaking with an accent may be illegal.

Adding to the hilarity is the fact that WV is not exactlly a mecca for undocumented workers, and, in the construction industry, the native born high school drropouts and teenagers are also getting paid "off the books" in cash, for a substandard wage (and not paying taxes! Deny it -- I dare you, you people who spout off about how much you know about the construction industry).

If course, if they tightened up the scrutiny, then some of you same contractors will start whining about how much he govt is poking around in your business during tax season.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM

175 posts, read 565,027 times
Reinstate the Draft and include the illegal's in the lottery.....There would be a traffic jam at the border from California to Indiana from them trying to get back home!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia