Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 PM

119 posts, read 429,315 times

Advertisements

I'm from central New York (the really central part, near Utica), and am totally sick of the winter, the cold temperatures (It hasn't broken 15 degrees all week, mostly just 1 or 2, before the windchill), the snow (6-10 inches a day or more, lately), and the high cost of living, not to mention what Gov. Patteson is trying to do.

I've been looking at some WV towns online, job market, housing, etc. We have three children; 2 in middle school, and one in elementary. We would like either a small town or rural area, but still within about 20-30 minutes of a reasonable sized town or city for jobs, shopping, etc. My husband is in retail management. I am currently a bus driver, although my background and previous jobs (before kids) is in Social Work.

The town of Clendenin has caught my eye, because it is within a reasonable distance of Charleston, and also because it looks to have the country/small town atmosphere we are looking for. It is also near the mountains, which is important.

I was wondering what the area is like, in terms of schools, jobs,neighbors, commute to Charleston, or at least the county seat, crime, and cost compared to NYS. We did drive through Charleston 8 years ago on our way to my father in laws funeral in GA, and thought it was such a beautiful area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM

180 posts, read 352,430 times
Beware, Clendenin-The redneck capital of West Virginia.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
I would NOT recommend Clendinen. Rednecks aside, it is a depressed town.

Best to come down, drive around, and check out areas. The town of Eleanor is a nice little rural town - not much there but it is close to the conveniences of the Teays Valley area and is also close to Charleston.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
Clendenin isn't as bad as everyone says. My wife and I have lived here for more then 2 years. Sure it has some people you won't get along with, but all towns have that. Our kids both go to the elementary school in town and they have some good teachers. There's alot of good churches in town too, and we go to Calvary Baptist and are members. They have a great childrens club and our congregation really care about the community and are dedicated to making it better. Driving to charleston maybe takes you 20-25 minutes if you take the main road, and maybe 10-15 if you take the highway

Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,034 times
There is little police protection in Clendenin and a lot of ignorant losers in the area around Clendenin. The railroad runs through side of the town on one side and the river runs along the other side. You cross a bridge to enter town. There are very few businesses of any value in Clendenin and it is mostly run down. It is a hard town to navigate due the the one way streets. For example, to get to the library, you must make three left turns, when if the streets were not one way you could drive straight to it after crossing the bridge and turning onto Elk Street. Most online maps of Clendenin do not indicate the one way streets. It is long and narrow with limited parking. The town has a bad reputation for infighting in the city government, as limited as that organization is today.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montani View Post
There is little police protection in Clendenin and a lot of ignorant losers in the area around Clendenin. The railroad runs through side of the town on one side and the river runs along the other side. You cross a bridge to enter town. There are very few businesses of any value in Clendenin and it is mostly run down. It is a hard town to navigate due the the one way streets. For example, to get to the library, you must make three left turns, when if the streets were not one way you could drive straight to it after crossing the bridge and turning onto Elk Street. Most online maps of Clendenin do not indicate the one way streets. It is long and narrow with limited parking. The town has a bad reputation for infighting in the city government, as limited as that organization is today.
READ THIS

//www.city-data.com/forum/rural...-new-life.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia