U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 AM

11,944 posts, read 13,177,017 times

Advertisements

Sorry I'm not replying in timely way. I've been away, then my garden insisted itself.

Oversimplified... Capitalism itself is out of whack, no longer capitalism in a way. CEO's have been feasting on golden gooses too long. Fed requirements are important to stabilize both the finance & real estate market from the excesses in light of the fact that regulatory overhaul has not been completed yet. Everyone off sugar, eat your veggies was reality then, and it remains reality now. If there were a better way... please announce it loudly. Most experts have had their hats humbly in their hands for quite some time now.

The number of contractors +/- must reflect the actual market, not wishful thinking. Marking down 100k in a state that has a mean income level of what??? That's where it went horribly wrong on Long Island- real estate prices and wages had a complete disconnect from one another. Families were living in campers in state parks for criminy sake. Developers adore six figure income clients, but when the majority are in the 50k range, those who can deliver for them would have done well if not for weasels trying to get 60k per acre for vacant lots. I hope they ate that dirt for all the damage their greedy appetites accomplished.

I think census results will be a meaningful benchmark. Artificial growth, like artificial money, is $$$$ mind candy no one can afford. My prayers go out that they'll find where the demand is and harvest well. When folks elsewhere are talking renting, not buying, then rental units should be a healthier retool if population trends reflect that reality. I still believe WV real estate is far more stable and the rate of taxation relatively restrained. Charleston is still seeing appreciation values last I heard.

Beautiful weather we've had, I've decided to keep all of my planting trays outside. Frost is still possible. It was chilly last night, but I've decided to sort out the hearty plants right out of the seed packets by doing it all wrong. Strawberries, blackberries, and concord grapes aren't planted, but remain in their dormant bags on the porch. If that's killing them, they won't make it here as perennials. I'm ordering the fragrant dapne evergreens, counting on the magical power of composted cow manure that has yet to fail me. French sorrel insisted it would live, parsley was hunkered down under it's mulch, german chamomile is suckering off like crazy, and the salad burnett produced throughout winter (although I might have killed it trying to transplant it for tilling. That tap root was far deeper than I counted on.). I've got more seed, it's an excellent crop, and as the saying goes, 'Finnegan begin again'.

What shot has new construction got in Charleston if not for commercial upstarts or renovation policies to tear down what is no longer salvageable? Count your blessings, DK. You don't want to be here when Mayors policy post financial meltdown was maintain, not grow, and adios Verizon happens anyway for the whole state. He was doing the prudent thing knowing the tide of budget surpluses were about to be turning into red ink. None here are strangers to painful math. Fact is they're more likely to survive because they're seasoned. Powered by Google Docs
This would be the nature of free lunch offered to corporations who want a one way street deal. No small business enjoys this extent of perquisites, and it's not a thing limited to a state/ region. This is DC's bad. This is the nature of non-capitalism I referenced earlier. People just have to be willing to see it for what it is-- welfare for wealthy. We've had a healthy reform of welfare for poor, but never for the wealthy. My longstanding gripe with American politics- these changes must happen along with DC changes in their own policies/ ethics. Abolish bailouts? Let's get on that drafting board with prevention in mind. 80% taxation on them??? Heck no, but freebies & lawyered theft are the other extreme. Preaching to the choir- you know full well my meaning. WV's had it's own brand of lawyered theft operating in the background for over a century calling itself legit commerce.

Brighter side of the street, I was very happy to hear a utility was switched away from some billing clerks desk in Timbuktu Ohio/ remote call centers in VA/ TX, finally returned back to home ground as it was before I arrived here. Same with water company, now publicly traded vs being owned by a foreign national company. Important to acknowledge both the good and the bad fully to keep us on an even keel. We make wiser decisions that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,158,602 times
I wanted to put in a plug for the Wv State Parks...with the oil sludge begining to cover the Gulf of Mexico and said to be creeping up the Atlantic Coast of Florida.

Tourism in Wv should see a significant rise this year. Bookings and schedules should be full and difficult.

Jobs? Part-time...migratory and seasonal should be wanting for additional adequate staff.

Consider a vacation...with part-time work at one of our parks.
Work on site for the summer and head for Florida or the hills when the snow falls.

For the golfer?...a part time job at one of our great Robert Trent Jones courses is a dream come true.
20-30 hrs a week with all the perks.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 AM

967 posts, read 2,754,015 times
Jobs are always there for those with the right education / training.

Nursing... get an RN and you can and will find work anywhere. I've been to all the major hospitals (and a lot of small ones too), and they're always short on staff. All the flight nurses I fly with confirm the shortage.
If any of you Charlestonites see N105HN sitting on the roof at General/Memorial/Women and Childrens, stop in and say hello! I usually find myself there daily.

I'm way behind where I wanted to be wrt to the garden. I managed to plant 4 rows of sweet corn last week, this Thursday I'll drop in another 4. That will bring the total to about 4,000 plants. As I'm going all organic, I'm hoping for a 60% harvest rate. Apple blossoms all survived, and are now tiny little nubs that will (hopefully) be tasty apples this fall.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,451,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
As I'm going all organic, I'm hoping for a 60% harvest rate. Apple blossoms all survived, and are now tiny little nubs that will (hopefully) be tasty apples this fall.
Mmm, you just reminded me of the applesauce / applebutter my grandma makes from her apple trees. Can't wait!!!! Much better than the store bought stuff.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 AM

As we speak:

WV State Unemployment Fund will go broke in about 60 days.

Federal Social Security is pulling the plug on all marginal disability claims.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Wanting to get this topic back up into the Mix:

Dominion Post Classifieds for today, Sunday May 23, 2010 is posting 124 job posts.

An Indication that all is well in NCWv.

Of course most of this is seasonal, but a lot of the job calls are in SWPa and the Uniontown, Pa area.

Site address is dominionpost.com click on classifieds...good luck.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 12,750,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
As we speak:

It won't be because of anything in North Central.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 AM

True, We have one of the strongest regional economies in the country.

Also, in this 2nd quarter, I'm beginning to see a slight surge taking place.

Blame it on business seeing the election trends and knowing that Obamanomics is on the way out.

Stock Market is being pushed into the 'basement and with conservative business practices helping the country regroup for the New Future, I think a surge will take hold...when? Next Spring, when the new congress gets things together.

I would begin looking at stocks in September/October...should bottom out completely by then....

Wonder What 'Old man Buffet doing ?? His is the best nose for money we have.

Information Tech...real estate equity rolll over...

What are we doing personally?

Affordable Wind Generation, Solar water heat for heating and domestic usage...call it an investment in the future..

Last edited by David Kennedy; 05-24-2010 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 AM

404 posts, read 1,086,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
As we speak:

David, do you have a news source for the info about the WV State Unemployment Fund going broke?

If any of you are looking for more training to get a job or a better job, check this program out for free training through Work Force WV.

Microsoft Elevate America

Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM

State Journal about 2 weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia