U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:13 PM

4,473 posts, read 7,498,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
And Yeager didn't "add the same exact direct flight to Orlando that Tri-state has had for the last few years." Through Allegiant Air, Tri-State offered a non-stop flight to Orlando-Sanford International which is much further from the main tourist areas (Disney World complex) than Orlando International. AirTran came to Yeager last summer and began offering non-stop flights to the much larger and much closer Orlando International Airport where they have a hub. Lo and behold who recently ended up adding service to Orlando International? Allegiant out of Tri-State Airport....
My point here was that they were adding a flight to serve the same market that Tri-state was already serving rather than looking for a different market. Tri-State was looking to add a North-East/NYC as a direct flight but as soon as Charleston did so, that decreased the likelihood that the NE flight would be NYC but they are looking at other markets instead to better serve the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
But my main point is that such a post clearly demonstrates this attitude that many Huntington residents (along with other parts of the state) have long had that Charleston is always working to bring them down. Not the case.
As long as Charleston maintains power the way they currently do in the state, if things don't take shape as planned because "permission isn't given" from Charleston so to speak, things will be seen as partly being Charleston's fault for lack of action. That's the nature of the beast. Take the pension issue for example. The way things are set up, Huntington couldn't refinance the pension debt they had without new legislation to do so and it was about to cause a financial strain on the city. Several attempts had been made by local delegates to fix the issue, but it died ever time. Finally, enough support was garnered and this issue has now been fixed. If cities were allowed home rule, I think you would see this mind set decrease some.

And I didn't necessarily mean that intially comment in a bad way. Friendly competition is good for the public in that it typically results in better offerings. As long as Yeager maintains their market without using the significant political power thet have behind them to do so, I have no problem with it. Competition can often breed success if done in the right way. Take the Orlando flight for example. I still wish they would have chosen another market, but it resulted in a better flight for people flying out of Tri-State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:46 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,615,025 times
Agreed. The addition of a flight from Tri-State to the much larger and much more convenient Orlando International Airport (which Yeager offered a flight to first) will help with boardings at that respective airport. It isn't the them vs us issue that people all around the state always make it out to be. Kind of like how everyone blames Washington for their problems. Elect better representatives in both cases if you feel underserved.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,615,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
My point here was that they were adding a flight to serve the same market that Tri-state was already serving rather than looking for a different market. Tri-State was looking to add a North-East/NYC as a direct flight but as soon as Charleston did so, that decreased the likelihood that the NE flight would be NYC but they are looking at other markets instead to better serve the area.

As long as Charleston maintains power the way they currently do in the state, if things don't take shape as planned because "permission isn't given" from Charleston so to speak, things will be seen as partly being Charleston's fault for lack of action. That's the nature of the beast. Take the pension issue for example. The way things are set up, Huntington couldn't refinance the pension debt they had without new legislation to do so and it was about to cause a financial strain on the city. Several attempts had been made by local delegates to fix the issue, but it died ever time. Finally, enough support was garnered and this issue has now been fixed. If cities were allowed home rule, I think you would see this mind set decrease some.

And I didn't necessarily mean that intially comment in a bad way. Friendly competition is good for the public in that it typically results in better offerings. As long as Yeager maintains their market without using the significant political power thet have behind them to do so, I have no problem with it. Competition can often breed success if done in the right way. Take the Orlando flight for example. I still wish they would have chosen another market, but it resulted in a better flight for people flying out of Tri-State.
OK but Tri-State doesn't even have service to major hubs like Washington-Dulles, Atlanta, or Chicago-O'Hare. If there was sufficient demand for a route that could turn a profit there is no way the airlines would be turning it down. Charleston had service to the NYC area in the 80s and then re-instated it with American Eagle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or