Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times

Advertisements

From The Pocahontas Times, Dec 17, 2009.

"A federal district court judge in Maryland placed a huge roadblock in the path of a planned industrial wind facility in northern Greenbrier County, saying construction of the wind turbines would violate the Endangered Species Act."

"The injunction orders a halt to construction and prohibits operation of 40 completed turbines between April 1 and November 15, the endangered bat’s migratory period."

Full story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM

413 posts, read 937,702 times
Such bittersweet news...

On one hand, the biologist in me says "GO BATS!" I worked with this species in Canaan. And they're awesome. And I always love it when a small, not-so-appealing underdog species wins out over big corporations.

However, the dirty hippie in me hates to see progress on 'green energy' slowed, as it really is needed as we try to wean ourselves off fossil fuels.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
Newt,

The decision was based on the fact that the company hadn't applied for a "take" permit from the Feds. Do you know if that's easy or hard to get, especially considering the Indiana Bat is an Endangered Species?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
How many native and migratory birds must die below these wind guilliotines?

Bats are only noticed because they are Endangered.

We failed on the Ozone and we didn't save one single whale...but we could save these creatures from these inefficent electrical generators...

The bottom line on these wind mills for single dwellings?...

HOA's and zoning regs are saying they are an eyesore and are preventing their use...

non-zoned areas are a temporary use venue...not worth the time and money to install...
we have put them on the back-burner as a feature of our Green Builds..

Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
Hmm. Kill migratory birds and bats with blades on one hand, or kill freshwater streams and water ways with coal byproducts, mercury or spills from containment ponds..

What a conundrum. I guess the question is do you prefer fish, or chicken?

Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,243 times
This won't be a problem if someone doesn't get a handle on this white-nose disease. Bats are important for mosquito control, mosquitoes keep me in the house from June-Oct., I could use a few bats. Seems the mosquito has exploded in the past few years, no longer a night time problem, mine start feeding at 8am and stop somewhere around 5am. Not that I'm against power stations, I think the disease is more of a threat.

Fatal fungus found in N.J. kills off 93 percent of N.Y. bat population | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Quote:
Winter populations at the caves went from 55,084 bats to 4,853, a 91 percent drop. But rates differed among different species of bats. For instance, little brown bats dropped by 93 percent while Indiana bats, an endangered species, dropped by 53 percent.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM

Incidental take permits are hard to get when the species being taken are endangered. This is especially true in the case of the Indiana Bat (Myotis sodalis, in case you were wondering), as it is Federally protected. But then again, federal protection hasn't stopped Walmart from paving over gopher tortoise burrows down south. Just depends on how much money you have, I guess. Walmart pays something like $15,000 for every tortoise they kill. Frankly, I think they should give that $15,000 to the local community and let nerds like me go out with turtle-sniffing dogs (really!) and dig up the 2 or 3 tortoises for relocation that may be in the area instead of paving over them, causing them to starve to death over a period of 8 or 9 months.

But ThreeRun's right (on so many accounts!): the bats are doomed if we don't figure out why they're dying.

As for wind turbines, a lot of things go into their placement: migratory flight paths, wind patterns, proximity to active raptor nests (in Michigan, it's bald eagles, WV has golden eagles too). There are also other 'safeguards' that try to minimize animal mortality, such as a higher 'cut on' speed. That is, the wind has to be blowing at a certain speed to allow the generators to turn on. The higher this speed (at Mt. Storm, it's 6 knots), the lower the mortality. The reasoning is that the windier it is, the less birds and bats are flying. When I was surveying up there, I found dead birds and bats on nights when there was no wind at all and the generators weren't on. In fact, we had a 2 week period where the entire farm was shut down for upgrades to the power lines, system checks, etc. And we found no difference in the number of specimens found between those two weeks and any other two weeks. Its not always the blades that are killing animals. Sometimes they just run into things, like turbines, trees, houses, power lines, cars, etc. Turbines just get a bad rap because they're bigger.

A large wind turbine farm (such as Mt. Storm) kills on average 200-300 animals a year. An outdoor housecat can kill 60 songbirds a year. Maybe we should use housecats for energy...

Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,493 times
Considering I'll be flying up through there with my new employ, I wouldn't mind seeing them taken down completely! "...hey, how did this windmill get up here in my cloud...?". Any of you blow up 'yer still, or break yourself sufficiently, you might get a ride-along with me to the nearest hospital.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 PM

D'oh! I meant Two-Rivers is right. Sorry 'bout that!

Hinton, I thought I was gonna take a ride in one once. But I got lucky. Still nice to know you're there to get those of us who don't know how to keep to civilized areas out of a tight spot.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
Newt...you mentioned Golden Eagles...

I think I've seen a few...but didn't think they were here..

Oregon was loaded with them and we would see them on the Columbia...are they 'stocked here in Wv?

Where are they...Davis?

Will make an effort to watch for them...thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia