U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 PM

404 posts, read 971,185 times

Advertisements

Despite knowing nothing about the local politics of North Central, I feel as though I must chime in and mention how much I despise the term "elitist" being used in a derogatory tone. Only in this country would we discount someone for being smarter and better credentialed than a truck driver. I for one would much rather have an "elitist" than bubba running the country. To me, someone that I'd like to have a beer with does not enter into the equation when choosing a competent legislator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,155,923 times
competent legislator...ha ha ha...ha ha ha....ha ha ha

You got me with that, the competent part....ha ha ha..

It's all about the price of being bought...what is that price for concession?

ha ha ha Bubba? We had Bubba? He gave us Monica... and that issue gave us Hillary...ha ha

As for beer...that's another subject. A serious one...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 AM

10,091 posts, read 12,741,474 times
Default "Bubba"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Despite knowing nothing about the local politics of North Central, I feel as though I must chime in and mention how much I despise the term "elitist" being used in a derogatory tone. Only in this country would we discount someone for being smarter and better credentialed than a truck driver. I for one would much rather have an "elitist" than bubba running the country. To me, someone that I'd like to have a beer with does not enter into the equation when choosing a competent legislator.
You're entitled to your opinion, but "Bubba", as you choose to refer to
ordinary folks, has a lot more in common with most of us than the pampered rich. We have been electing bozos who, for the most part, have never gotten their hands dirty doing any real work, have prior to their political involvements skirted any real service to the Nation in any way possible, and who use their wealth as a power base rather than any real connection to the people they supposedly represent. Also, they might go to more "credentialed" institutions of higher learning but they are definitely not necessarily smarter nor are they in reality better educated. In fact, since they generally do not "marry out" of the privileged class, they tend to have a more narrow gene pool and can actually be deficient in that area. And, spending four years reading Shakespere and studying far out social theories does not a well rounded individual make.

They use "connections, money and influence" to gain acceptance to those schools, or in some cases they are able to parlay their "disadvantaged" status into free rides and preferential treatment therein.

We have actually been stupid enough to elect Presidents who were skipping the draft hanging out in eastern Europe or using political influence to get into the National Guard (before they actually made it part of the real military) while our brothers and sisters were sticking their necks out in places where the privileged were sending them to do their dirty work, and whose only real work experience has been to sign people up to vote in poor neighborhoods. If you want to believe that makes someone "smarter and better credentialed" so be it. Personally, I think that makes you seem naive.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
2nd. Response:

Here's a graph up that shows past presidents and the percentage of each president's cabinet appointees who had previously worked in the private sector (i.e. held a real job).

You know a real life business, not a government job? Remember what that is? A private business?

Roosevelt - 38%

Taft - 40%

Wilson - 52%

Harding - 49%

Coolidge - 48%

Hoover - 42%

FDR - 50%

Truman - 50%

Eisenhower - 57%

Kennedy - 30%

LBJ - 47%

Nixon - 53%

Ford - 42%

Carter - 32%

Reagan - 56%

GHWB - 51%

Clinton - 39%

GWB - 55%

Obama - 8%

YEP, EIGHT PERCENT! And that doesn't include the President himself since he has never once worked in the private sector.

And these are the guys holding a "job summit" this week?

This ought to go really well!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, I know, but I'm gonna go ahead and predict....

WE'RE ARE IN TROUBLE! These morons' iidea of creating jobs is to spend my grandaughter's future wages to put foreigners to work, then offer them some more of her future earnings to clean up the messes they make.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:11 PM

404 posts, read 971,185 times
Damn, I'm surprised you're able to post on here in between listening to rush limbaugh all day and attending your favorite teabagging bondage session. I made a remark about your terminology, but I don't think you want to be getting into a discussion about previous presidents considering you're obviously the party of Bush, Nixon and Reagan... some of the biggest disasters this country has ever seen. I'm done with this discussion.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Let me clairify...Wv is a state of Repubs who are Registered as Dems...they are very conservative on the whole.

Wv has been a one party state since 1933. Before that it was entirely Repub.

Father Franklin promised jobs and gave them...those jobs didn't pay anything but it was work and just having work was considered a respectable thing in that age. It gave respect to those workers.

His wife, Eleanor (who really was the Saint to his Satan) came here, on her own to Preston County and gave us hope.

It was all rekindled by JFK and killed dead with the LBJ social progroms...

We have survived it all and a new local hero really saved us with the money politic...

It was RCB who brought the infrastructure and then the business....and now the individual personal wealth, as those contemporary jobs from that expansion, do pay very well.

With his help, we are suceeding...In spite of the ignorance of those who live outside our borders.

And the mafia...those who really run our state. They know, that in order to 'take the money...it must first exist in the hands of the population per se.

They are conservative too...2nd amendment, Pro-Choice, Pro-Labor/Pro Business, Church going...all of it...

Sorry we did not fit into your genre...we are just not that at all...never have been...

It began with the English of Virginia who sent our fathers into the hills at gunpoint...

They helped us to become Hillbillies and that is exactly what we are...

Like Texas, We will not be changing much in this generation...

Good Day...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 12-20-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Damn, I'm surprised you're able to post on here in between listening to rush limbaugh all day and attending your favorite teabagging bondage session. I made a remark about your terminology, but I don't think you want to be getting into a discussion about previous presidents considering you're obviously the party of Bush, Nixon and Reagan... some of the biggest disasters this country has ever seen. I'm done with this discussion.
I'm a Democrat, but I'm not an idiot. And, when it comes to the bozos we have elected he is right on target. But, I see you are taking the "out" most wackos take when confronted with facts... "I'm done with this discussion".

My fear is that we are indeed headed for more "bondage". A lot of young people don't remember when we actually had freedoms, so they have been conditioned from a young age to believe all this bull$hit is normal. It isn't, and everytime they pass another law or impose another rule they are taking away more of your freedom... piece by piece. They don't take another law off the books when they put a new one on them. Pretty soon they will want to regulate when you can take a dump. In Connecticut they actually talked about putting a tax on it... a per tonage charge.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-20-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,612,002 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you Jesco.

Several frequent posters in this forum often slam Jay Rockefeller as being "out of touch" with his constituents and Robert Byrd for his "pork barrel spending" yet they cannot really go into detail as to what causes them to reach such a conclusion. And sorry, but explanations along the lines of "Rockefeller doesn't like coal" or "Byrd spends a lot" don't count.

I certainly don't want some ignorant country hick being my politician but alas many people in West Virginia are afraid of highly educated and wealthy individuals like Rockefeller. Ironic though that we keep hearing the "elitist politician" line from the same people who talk about individuals on welfare as deadbeats and a drain on their tax dollars.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:40 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,450,279 times
Quote:
Tried to rep... gotta spread it though

Old 12-21-2009, 03:40 AM

'elitist?

My definition of 'elitist is a person worth over 2 billion dollars and still letting the public at large pay for their every single expense.

If I had 2 billion dollars in the bank and I was a Senator from anywhere, I think I would manage to pay my own way for my government and seperate myself from the temptation from being bought and paid for.

This seems like a 'eletist welfare for the educated self imposed upper-class.
Very similar to the 'populist welfare of the not-so-much self imposed non-educated lower class.

The difference being the size of the check and the chauffered limosines...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or