U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 PM

404 posts, read 1,087,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
That looks nice! Do you use one? My only concern would be if it's noisy. I bought a fan for our wall gas heater but I rarely use it because it makes so much noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM

566 posts, read 1,432,597 times
Mine isn't that fancy, and was about $40 less. It isn't as noisy as my 1500 watt electric heater, but you would hear it. I like hearing it, lets me know I'm getting something extra. I'll say the power consumption is very low, it's a small fan motor.

Have to agree about the earlier "bone warming heat" comment. I don't mind being outside in the cold when I know there's such warmth inside. Can't say that if I'm using the GFA only.

I'm installing a gas, wall mount heater to help the GFA, the wall heaters are 99.9% efficient. A bit old time looking, but the gas bill will make it look better.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 6,578,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
We use an old Fisher wood stove. They quit making them but I'd sure like to get my hands on another one for the house in town. You can load it up at night and not worry about it till the next morning. Keeps the house nice and warm, and you can cook on top of it.
There are a number of places that restore and resell old wood stoves. Here are some links.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM

12,604 posts, read 16,268,681 times
We have a non-electric fan that uses the heat from the stove to operate. for a small unit it is suprisingly powerful.

Unfortunately our woodstove would be piped into the fireplace, so there would be no room to add a flue heater/recapture thingy.

You can run across Fisher and Timberline stoves in the ValleyTrader or the local classified paper. Sometimes I see the on Craigslist too. Fisher's always tend to run on the high side of proces though.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:50 PM

12,604 posts, read 16,268,681 times
Google 'search tempest craigslist' and you can enter a search parameter for all craigslist listing within a specified range.

I just did a quick search of 'Fisher Wood Stove' within 250 miles of Clarksburg and came up with a baby bear and another Fisher model..

Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 6,578,687 times
There's a Fisher "Grandma Bear" on eBay, located just south of Binghamton NY. Starting bid is $299. You'd have to drive there to pick it up.

Link

Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,187,967 times
The thing I like most about wood burning is the scent in the house. Dirty-- so is the garden, and the ashes are good for the garden.

Love those pics of winterwonderland and heading to south carolina tomorrow to avoid more of the same. Shiver me timbers.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 PM

374 posts, read 1,019,171 times
Default Randolph County

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Hey Megan! How's it going? Haven't heard from you in a while, last time I recall seeing a pic of a truck and trailer loaded with all your worldly goods. Other than missing the snow, are you getting settled in Randolph County OK?
Hey Snorpus, we are settling in wonderfully- got the garden bed put in and ready, have been out exploring our new home, and having a good time.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,655 times
Wish I could see it.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:15 AM

566 posts, read 1,432,597 times
Arrow Pictures

The photo with this story shows the car sitting in the traffic lanes of I-77/WV Turnpike.

Local resident among stranded on turnpike - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

The pictures below could have been better, but I stopped plowing just long enough to snap a couple.

The picture below is a 19th century church, in case someone at NBC thinks this is a WV home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia