U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM

4,473 posts, read 7,500,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Tim, the problem with your data for Huntington is you are counting the 13,800 Marshall students as residents there.
And the problem with your data is that you are counting all 28,839 WVU students as residents there. You've even admitted yourself that most of the new apartments are out of city limits and you wouldn't be able to count them as residents in the city if they weren't in city limits. Also, take a look at your figures again. At MU, 22% of all undergrads live on campus while at WVU 26% of all undergrads live on campus. When looking at the entire student population as we are doing, are you going to act like 4% is such a significant difference?

College Portraits - Marshall University - Student Housing (http://www.collegeportraits.org/WV/MU/housing - broken link)

College Portraits - West Virginia University - Student Housing (http://www.collegeportraits.org/WV/WVU/housing - broken link)

And MU still has about 3 times the student population of Fairmont State. Fairmont State is actually closer to MCTC than it is to MU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 04:26 PM

938 posts, read 2,639,017 times
Yup. Nobody predicted this would happen. At all.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM

989 posts, read 1,981,649 times
lordy....I will say this much, it's pretty neat how Morgantown is kind of split into two separate areas in that the actual "downtown" looks and feels different than the Evansdale side. One area looks older and historical while the other is more or less modern development. It's going to be neat if the two sides interlap and fill in the vacant space throughout the stretch around Suncrest and whatnot. Could the Evansdale area actually pass up downtown Morgantown in the future and be the new "downtown"?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM

10,123 posts, read 12,766,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
And the problem with your data is that you are counting all 28,839 WVU students as residents there. You've even admitted yourself that most of the new apartments are out of city limits and you wouldn't be able to count them as residents in the city if they weren't in city limits. Also, take a look at your figures again. At MU, 22% of all undergrads live on campus while at WVU 26% of all undergrads live on campus. When looking at the entire student population as we are doing, are you going to act like 4% is such a significant difference?

College Portraits - Marshall University - Student Housing (http://www.collegeportraits.org/WV/MU/housing - broken link)

College Portraits - West Virginia University - Student Housing (http://www.collegeportraits.org/WV/WVU/housing - broken link)

And MU still has about 3 times the student population of Fairmont State. Fairmont State is actually closer to MCTC than it is to MU.
Tim, it's 4% of a much larger number. It is a significant difference. We don't know how many students are from out of town but live in off campus apartments within the two towns, but it is reasonable to assume that a proportionately larger number of the 28,886 students would be doing so as well.

The enrollment at Fairmont State is 4,611. Since Marshall has 9,800 students, that means there are 5,189 more students there than at Fairmont state... slightly more than twice as many (212%).

http://www.stateuniversity.com/unive...niversity.html

The enrollment at West Virginia is 28,886. Since Marshall has 9,800 students that means there are 19,086 more students at WVU than at Marshall (296%). Both in absolute numbers and as a percentage Marshall is closer in size to Fairmont State than it is to West Virginia University, much closer.

And, we aren't even considering the fact that WVU breaks its enrollment down by campus. The full 28,886 are enrolled at the Morgantown campus. Branch campus enrollment is carried seperately. Marshall lumps theirs all together, so in reality you'd have to deduct the enrollment at the Institute graduate school and the other branch locations in Gilbert, Point Pleasant, and Hurricane from the 9,800, so the Huntington campus is even closer in size to Fairmont than our suppositions.

I think we can safely assume that the vast majority of students at Mountwest Community College (Huntington) and Pierpont Community College (Fairmont) are commuters, so they don't pertain to this discussion.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-20-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:09 PM

10,123 posts, read 12,766,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I wasn't just referring to work offerings. If you would ask the people over in Pennsylvania around Wheeling and Morgantown what the closest major city was and where they went for most of their entertainment and shopping options, they would likely tell you Pittsburgh. And also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main mall in the Wheeling area over in St. Clairsville, OH?

Huntington provides the major work, entertainment and shopping options for the people across the river in OH and KY. That's mainly the demographics of what I was referring to in that statement and thus why I said Huntington was a little more independent from that standpoint. It was not intended as a knock on any other area, just more of an observation.
Tim, you're wrong there, but I'd welcome any data you have to support your position. I'm originally from Wheeling, and still have family there. Many Wheeling area shoppers do shop in St. Clairsville, but at least as many shop east of Wheeling on the West Virginia side of the PA state line (The Highlands), and that includes shoppers from Washington, PA (located only 10 miles to the east). Many folks from Uniontown and Waynesburg shop in and around Morgantown, and some from Morgantown shop in Uniontown, Fairmont, and Clarksburg at times depending on what is sought. And people from all those areas sometimes shop in Pittsburgh. I have lived most of my 67 years in those areas and know this to be true.

I will agree with you that since there are no large towns in the Huntington region, the Barboursville Mall gets shoppers that might normally go to a big town like Pittsburgh if it were available. In that sense, the Huntington area (not necessarily Huntington per se) is more independent. It is one of the sad facts that the malls in Huntington and Wheeling were not built closer to the towns. Much of the business in both locations is transacted quite far from the towns themselves since the malls are not located in contiguous areas. Wheeling suffers from this affliction to a greater degree than does Huntington.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 AM

4,473 posts, read 7,500,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The enrollment at Fairmont State is 4,611. Since Marshall has 9,800 students, that means there are 5,189 more students there than at Fairmont state... slightly more than twice as many (212%).
You can't compare partial enrollment at one and total enrollment at the others. Good try though.

Fairmont - 4,572 students (2009)

MCTC - 2,999 (2009)

Marshall - 13,434 students (2009)

WVU - 28,898 (2009)

http://wvhepcdoc.wvnet.edu/resources...menttrends.pdf

And you should know this since you posted the above link.

3 x 4,572 = 13,716 which supports my claim that MU "has about 3 times the student population of Fairmont State." And WVU has no where near 3 times the enrollment of MU(which would be over 40,000 students), meaning MU is closer in size to WVU than FSU is to MU which disproves your claim.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,164,857 times
To be completely fair to WVU, the campus populations of CMU and Penn State should be included as adjuncts...they are as close as Fairmont and FSU...15 miles...and even Waynesburg University...same proximity.

Incredible for us to have 2 excellent small colleges and 3 great universities in the same 20 mile circle...

That other 4 lane coming to us ??? That's the new upgrade to Penn Route #51...checking to see if the 'high speed rail line is attached to that project...lot going on up here...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 AM

989 posts, read 1,981,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
To be completely fair to WVU, the campus populations of CMU and Penn State should be included as adjuncts...they are as close as Fairmont and FSU...15 miles...and even Waynesburg University...same proximity.

Incredible for us to have 2 excellent small colleges and 3 great universities in the same 20 mile circle...

That other 4 lane coming to us ??? That's the new upgrade to Penn Route #51...checking to see if the 'high speed rail line is attached to that project...lot going on up here...
So there's going to be another major highway from Pittsburgh to Morgantown aside from the interstate and 43? I thought all of that construction was part of 43...haha. Any idea if that one's going to be a toll road too like 43 or if it'll be open to the public?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,885 times
I kind of like the sound of a small city with a "metropolitan" feel to it.

College towns have the benefit of bringing in businesses and a more or less higher education level, with the drawback of having so many younger folks away from home for maybe the first time wandering around, getting up to stuff.

Which town is the most "grown up" -- as in where an older person, not associated with the college, would find appealing?

How are the singles scenes in these cities comparatively?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,578,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
So there's going to be another major highway from Pittsburgh to Morgantown aside from the interstate and 43?
I don't think so. Once they finish the 43 intersection on the south side of Uniontown and the last couple of miles around Brownsville, 43 will be complete from the Pittsburgh South Hills to the WV line... and WV is finally working on those last few miles to hook up with 68.

PennDOT doesn't have the money, and really, I don't see that there's the need for another major N/S highway. Finishing 43 into Pittsburgh is going to be very expensive, plus the money could probably be better spent on rehabbing 79 and 70.

I'd love to see MagLev run from Greensburg to Monroeville, Downtown, and the Airport, but I'm not counting on living till the 22nd Century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia