Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,273,155 times

Advertisements

I would say that a competent data base for the entire argument has been formulated and is ready for use..thank you, gentlemen...

Debate?....will we lose it in the next generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM

4,936 posts, read 8,888,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I would say that a competent data base for the entire argument has been formulated and is ready for use..thank you, gentlemen...
That's what I'm attempting to do by referencing previous threads rather than going through this whole thing again. Note that CT won't though and is trying to rehash the old and tired rhetoric he always does about Huntington and Marshall. He can't merely point out what's positive about what he likes but has to throw in some derogatory remarks about what he's competing against. Sad IMO.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,538 times
I see this is a college town discussion, but was wondering how either compares to Martinsburg. It sounds like maybe Huntington has a lot going for it, is Martinsburg, with its proximity to DC less "independent" than Huntington?

I see where Morgantown is sort of more connected to Pittsburgh, maybe? Does it depend on Pittsburgh for entertainment, culture, etc? Does Martinsburg compare more to Morgantown?

I see that the person who started this mentioned football, I've also heard that both WVU and Marshall have developed walk on programs -- I love college football, but will have to get used to following NCAA teams in the Eastern regions.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,339,732 times
Alrighty.....I'll bite.

Morgantown = more vibrant, youthful, relaxed, liberal, etc. It revolves around the university for just about everything in terms of culture and entertainment from what I've been able to gather. It's more or less the "coolest" and "most social" city in West Virginia and easily has the most potential for night life and whatnot. It's a stereotypical college town through and through, but it's its own thing and not a branch off of Pittsburgh. It has a lot of the whole SWPA/Pittsburgh type of feel to it though.

Huntington = A small city with a more metro feel to it...a little more classy and "urban" if you can say that about a 50K population city. It doesn't have the quirky, youthful college town feel to it that Morgantown does. It's more of its own city and own entity with a college tacked on to it as opposed to Morgantown...which is appropriately nicknamed "the university city" and is 100% about the university in every way. It's much more proper than Morgantown, and has a bit of that "old South" type of feel to it by comparison.

Go with Morgantown if you want a more "fun" experience in a place that's dominated by youth/youth culture, and the university presence itself. Morgantown is a really nice little city that's growing, you'd enjoy yourself. Go with Huntington if you want something with a smaller university presence by comparison and the opportunity to escape the college atmosphere without having to leave your backyard(IE..Pittsburgh is your escape from Morgantown/college land...Huntington is more split into city and university as opposed to one entity). If you want something that's a little more low-key, sectioned, and "grown up" feeling but still fun, then go with Huntington.

...just visit both on a weekend and make the decision for yourself. You'll know in one visit which of the two is more of what you're looking for.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Huntington is the only border city in the state that is the main city for not only the immediate area in WV but the surrounding states as well. This has led to it being more independent for the entertainment and cultural options available when compared to the other cities you isted. By checking out some of the previous links, you can see some of these offerings. If one desires a bigger city every now and again, as listed there are several just a short drive or direct flight away. If you are looking for a place to live in WV, I highly suggest that you check Huntington out. If you have any further questions about Huntington, I'd be more than happy to answer them for you. Here's a video from our CVB.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZCy...673795&index=4

Tim

Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,977,124 times
It would be easy to get upset that Tim wants to make this some kind of personal thing, but actually it is understandable since it must be so frustrating to try to counter obvious facts and trends with that with which he has to work. I really had just wanted to put some facts out there and let the individual make up his/her own mind, but Tim wants videos and so forth, so watch his and watch mine, then decide on your own:

watch the video on this site:
Greater Morgantown Convention and Visitors Bureau

and these...

http://www.youtube.com/westvirginiau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAuO3R90oeY

Morgantown, West Virginia on Vimeo

And consider a brief comparison from this perspective...

Huntington: As Tim accurately said, it is the focal point of the region and at less than 50,000 residents the urban Nirvana of the Huntington-Ashland area.
It has been in a state of decline for several years due to its mostly heavy industry base that is a casualty to unfair trade policies. It has lost much of that base. The town has been battling (and to some extent winning the battle) urban decay for some time now. It's population for the most part does not have a college education, in spite of the fact that it is the home of a small, masters level mostly commuter university that sees its mission as expanding at all costs, has masters level arts offerings, and a mid major athletic program. Tim pointed out that it is located 2+ hours from Cincinnati, but believe me that is one big + at the end of the two. Columbus is actually more doable from there. The Huntington Symphony and the masters level Marshall University Symphony perform there, and this coming year the National Symphony will offer a performance there. The biggest thing to happen in Huntington is, you guessed it, when every 3 or 4 years the people who are in Morgantown all the time visit there for an athletic event.

Morgantown: Is a town in growth mode. It is home to a highly educated population and a relatively diverse economy with little heavy industry but strong industrial growth. The town has approximately 30,000 "locals" within the city limits but when The University students are there it is easily the State's largest city (not that the state has any real large cities). Located there is a large, mostly residential Land Grant doctoral level university with all the amenities, including doctoral level arts offerings and a major, BCS level athletic program. The Pittsburgh Symphony, the Wheeling Symphony, and the West Virginia University doctoral level symphony perform there, and this coming year the National Symphony will be performing and offering instruction in Morgantown. It has ready access to outstanding outdoor venues and, although one would not be lacking for concerts (both Huntington and Morgantown get the national tours of various shows) and events in Morgantown, it relatively near the much larger Pittsburgh where an even greater number and variety is readily available as well as truly professional sports. It is located roughly the same distance from Washington, DC and Baltimore as Huntington is from Cincinnati.

That said, there is nothing wrong with Huntington. It is a nice town with a lot to offer. I just believe that Morgantown (obviously) has more to offer. Look over what Tim and I posted, take a trip to both towns, and decide for yourself.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:01 AM

938 posts, read 2,888,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Huntington is the only border city in the state that is the main city for not only the immediate area in WV but the surrounding states as well.
Parkersburg is definitely the hub of its isolated little region.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 AM

938 posts, read 2,888,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeWV View Post
I see this is a college town discussion, but was wondering how either compares to Martinsburg. It sounds like maybe Huntington has a lot going for it, is Martinsburg, with its proximity to DC less "independent" than Huntington?
Martinsburg is a good 1hr 30min from DC. I'd say they are "independent", too.

Quote:
I see where Morgantown is sort of more connected to Pittsburgh, maybe? Does it depend on Pittsburgh for entertainment, culture, etc? Does Martinsburg compare more to Morgantown?
Well, for music, live shows, and things like that, Pittsburgh obviously gets more and better acts than the entire state of WV and its an hour from Morgantown, so obviously people tend to make the short trip up there for shows. I wouldn't quite say its "dependent" though. Morgantown has some things going on, too. They've been getting big time comedy shows recently. Ralphie May and Ron White are going to be coming in the next month or so, I think. I get bored frequently, though. It's just that with the proximity of Pittsburgh, why not go up and hang out. I'm up there every other weekend it seems.

I wouldn't say Martinsburg and Morgantown are that comparable at all. The growth in Martinsburg is fueled by the town being a DC satellite commuter town. Morgantown's growth is because of the growth of Morgantown itself.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,273,155 times
And that is the reason many of our bankrupt counties need to be combined into larger regional governing entities...let these larger cities lead these impoverished rural areas out of their economic situations.

Morgantown's growth carries all the way to Buckhannon, Elkins, Weston, Uniontown, Waynesburg and now with the big money coming in...Pittsburgh...did you know a new Other 4 lane road is being built to us? Aside from the Mon-Fayette Expressway.

Penn-Dot is financing our roads in this region...22 billion dollars in their highway fund..

This region, and it growth, is much bigger than Morgantown...

If you can get up in a plane and fly around for an hour or two, a person can get a glimpse of the money...

It's staggering...

Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The town has approximately 30,000 "locals" within the city limits but when The University students are there it is easily the State's largest city (not that the state has any real large cities).
Actual math of residents + students:

29,642 (Morgantown pop.) + 28,839(WVU enrollment)= 58,481

49,185 (Huntington pop.) + 13,800 (MU Enrollment) = 62,985

62,985 > 58,481

Also, Morgantown had been in a state of decline from the 1970s until 2000 when the recent growth began thanks to a surge in enrollment at WVU and new designation as an MSA. It has only surpassed it's 1970 population this past couple of years.

When referring to Huntington:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It's population for the most part does not have a college education,...
Nor does Morgantown's population seeing as less than 50% does not equal "most".

Last edited by tbailey1138; 12-20-2009 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia