U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,160 times

Advertisements

hey yall, a group of us from South Carolina will be headed to Snowshoe this weekend for the first time, and I heard some of the roads can be very mountainous. A lot of us get motion sickness fairly easy so I'm trying to find the best route to get to Snowshoe. I've seen a few different directions and was wondering if yall could help me choose the best one.

1.) I-77N to I-64E to 219N to Rt.66
2.) I-77N to I-64E to 60E to 92N to 39W to 219N to Rt.66
3.) I-77N to I-64E to 60E to 92N to Rt.66
4.) I-77N to I-81N to 220N to I-64W to 92N to 39W to 219N to Rt.66

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,575,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy83 View Post
hey yall, a group of us from South Carolina will be headed to Snowshoe this weekend for the first time, and I heard some of the roads can be very mountainous. A lot of us get motion sickness fairly easy so I'm trying to find the best route to get to Snowshoe. I've seen a few different directions and was wondering if yall could help me choose the best one.

1.) I-77N to I-64E to 219N to Rt.66
2.) I-77N to I-64E to 60E to 92N to 39W to 219N to Rt.66
3.) I-77N to I-64E to 60E to 92N to Rt.66
4.) I-77N to I-81N to 220N to I-64W to 92N to 39W to 219N to Rt.66

Thanks
#1 is the most direct, and would be my choice.

#2 is a whole lot of route changes, for no real advantage.

#3 is a lot like #2.

#4 is ridiculous, you're bound to miss a turn and get lost.

Most of the mountains are on l77, 64, and 219, which you can't avoid anyway. Don't miss the views from 219, north from Droop Mountain, and then after you pass Marlinton, south from Cheat Mountain.

Have fun at Snowshoe!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:25 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,158,602 times
Better take some tirechains along...and hope this approaching midwest storm does not hit us...

You might be here longer than you had planned...

There's nothing quite like driving up from Elkins to Canaan Valley in a heavy snowstorm with winds at 50 mph.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,451,603 times
David that reminds me of last year about this time when Jake and I visited my best friend Kristy who was working on her MBA in North Myrtle Beach. The drive back was uneventful until we got onto the WV turnpike. What was cloudy skies quickly turned to darkness and inches and inches pouring down from the sky... At the time I was in my Jetta and it went great in the snow, but the problem with two wheel drives is when you have to stop for other people... sooo pretty much I was weaving through parked out of state cars and jacked knifed tractor trailers on the interstate, then had to nearly go over the hill to get by three side by side hung up tractor trailers going up a hill..... boy was fun!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 AM

Yeah...Yeah...had to rub in Myrtle Beach didn't you...

My brother is moving there this spring and my sons former wife is coming from India to set up her business there...Looks like I'll be driving more to Florida than I want too...but Myrtle does have golf..

Have a Happy New Year, GHO...wish I had somewhere to go this weekend...wanted to go to the big game in JAX but have plans later in the month...

About that Masters? better get it while you're in the 'school mode...and not tied up with 'life.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Yeah...Yeah...had to rub in Myrtle Beach didn't you...

My brother is moving there this spring and my sons former wife is coming from India to set up her business there...Looks like I'll be driving more to Florida than I want too...but Myrtle does have golf..

Have a Happy New Year, GHO...wish I had somewhere to go this weekend...wanted to go to the big game in JAX but have plans later in the month...

About that Masters? better get it while you're in the 'school mode...and not tied up with 'life.
ha ha ha... what I really like is next week I'll be in Phoenix where its 70 degrees everyday while its cold and in the 30-40's here.

You could have went to Snowshoe or Canaan Valley... they were having big parties... I think my parents are going.

I've been out of school mode for years now... but I just keep going for some reason.. ha ha

Yeah, I'm looking at schools now for my masters... and studying for the GRE. At ASU I'm applying for masters in Urban Geography program and I'm applying for a Teaching Assistant position... where I'll teach a few undergrad classes in exchange for free tuiton. I've been told because I have a B.A. in teaching I should get preference... we'll see. If I don't get that position I'll have to dick around for about a year working and stuff while I get residency there. I'm not paying 16,000 a semester for out of state tuition.... no way

Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 AM

Success takes a plan, Cody. And your future might be on the college level...bypassing most of the stress and insanity of secondary.

My friends who are retiring out of secondary look like people freed from an asylum.
One administrator even had a few death threats...and this is here in West Virginia...(the common denominator being the social breakdown from the dope)

I think Urban Geography would be very specialized and strong in our countries future. I can see you moonlighting on the side for the CIA...ha ha. ( I really dislike them as I had one of their finest hold a gun about 2" from my face on Johnston Island one time...nothing like being threatened by one of your own countrymen, when we were supposed to be on the same side)

I'm looking at a few days in Phoenix myself soon so don't get to bragging...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 AM

38 posts, read 290,444 times
Quote:
There's nothing quite like driving up from Elkins to Canaan Valley in a heavy snowstorm with winds at 50 mph.
The op is driving from South Carolina (not Elkins) to Snowshoe (not Canaan Valley). That homecooked hillbilly powder has fried your brain.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Trouble with the reading comprehension...they may offer the GED in your community...try it.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Trouble with the reading comprehension...they may offer the GED in your community...try it.
lol they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia