Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,581 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a place to call home in WV. If you could start out anywhere and open a dental office in this state where would you live?
Best place to live?
Best place for a business?
Best of both?
Any areas in need of Dentists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
Huntington could always use more dentists, especially if you have any interest in being a pediatric dentist as there are few of those around. This is a good place to live with lots to do and a lot of young professionals due to the medical field and Marshall. In most medical fields, Huntington also tends to pay as high or higher than any place in the state. There's a lot of revitalization going on here with downtown buildings and streetscapes and the addition of Pullman Square. If you aren't familiar with Huntington and would like some more info just let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with some other links. Here are a few for you though. Hope this helps.

Tim

//www.city-data.com/city/Huntin...-Virginia.html
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2 (largest mall in the state)
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
MySpace.com - Huntington Underground - 99 - Male - HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - www.myspace.com/huntingtonunderground (live music list from the next few months)
Welcome To Your Huntington Funny Bone

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDentist09 View Post
My wife and I are looking for a place to call home in WV. If you could start out anywhere and open a dental office in this state where would you live?
Best place to live?
Best place for a business?
Best of both?
Any areas in need of Dentists?
You might want to stick with North Central WV. It is the area showing the most economic promise, and since you are already familiar with Morgantown you know all that area has to offer. Clarksburg is a good possibility for you, and they have great Italian food there.

You might also check out Martinsburg-Sheperdstown. It is another growth area that is relatively prosperous.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM

938 posts, read 2,896,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You might want to stick with North Central WV. It is the area showing the most economic promise, and since you are already familiar with Morgantown you know all that area has to offer. Clarksburg is a good possibility for you, and they have great Italian food there.

You might also check out Martinsburg-Sheperdstown. It is another growth area that is relatively prosperous.
Morgantown kinda sucks for health professionals. Everyone wants to live here and its pretty much saturated. I have to work in Uniontown, in fact. I'd tell him to go to some other less desirable place in the state...which is pretty much everywhere else. I'd look at Parkersburg, personally. A lot of older dentists calling it quits recently, I'm told...

Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Morgantown kinda sucks for health professionals. Everyone wants to live here and its pretty much saturated. I have to work in Uniontown, in fact. I'd tell him to go to some other less desirable place in the state...which is pretty much everywhere else. I'd look at Parkersburg, personally. A lot of older dentists calling it quits recently, I'm told...
Makes sense. That's why I suggested Clarksburg.

When I was a student in Morgantown in the mid 70s, I was a "guinea pig" for a dental student. The guy redid my whole mouth with new fillings, a root canal and so forth. The only cost for me was for materials. It took an entire semester of my free time. He got an A for all the work. He opened up practice in Fairmont, but he's probably retired now. The work was so good that when I later went into the Army, the military dentist called in all his colleagues to look at it. They knew it had been done at a dental school as no commercial dentist would have taken the time to do the work that well... so they said. I still have some of those fillings after 45 years.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
Maybe Elkins, Buckhannon, Lewisburg.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,493 times
You can pick anyplace in WV. You have a skill that is needed everywhere. Obviously, if you're a cosmetic dentist, the bigger population ares will be a better fir. For a GP Dentist, you can go where ever you desire.

If Ii were you, Ii'd go to Hinton.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,987,863 times
I 2nd Elkins/Buckhannon...

maybe Hurricane or Teays Valley?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,619 times
I'm trying to remember what I heard about funding for rural medicine. It was last year some time when I heard there were funds available to recruit doctors/dentists to rural areas to practice. If I can find it again, I'll post it here.

How do you feel about the rural life? lol

We have a couple of dentists in the doddridge/ritchie area. We still have to go to clarksburg/parkersburg or morgantown for anything more than a simple filling or extraction.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM

19 posts, read 34,329 times
Downtown South Charleston would be an ideal place. To be honest, it used to be a ghost town but it would be my opinion that as the process of gentrification works it's way and a new mall is built that you would see more business expand. I hope to see you here!

Bret Nida
WWW.NETBRET.COM
"Charleston,WV Real Estate Search"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia