U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,154 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband is starting a job near Harper's Ferry. We have two small children and one on the way. Wondering what town in that area is best for elementary schools and also close to a good hospital. We are moving from Mont. Co., MD, and are looking for SF home around 300k.

We have explored Huntfield & Spruce Hill neighborhoods in Charles Town and have visited Shepherdstown.

Also interested in a good pediatrician so we don't have to travel back to Mont. Co....

Thanks for any and all input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM

894 posts, read 1,328,768 times
I think you will be okay with any of the elementary schools in Jefferson County. A larger concern to me would be middle school and high school and I don't have any knowledge of any specific problems with any of them. Try to find people in the area who have knowledge of those levels while you visit. Try to talk to people other than just realtors (no offense to realtors intended). I know they just built and opened a second high school and both are rather large for WV standards but would be smaller or equal to Montgomery County. I did student teaching at Ranson and taught a semester in Harpers Ferry all at the elementary level at that time. However, that was way too many moons ago to be of assistance today. Good luck and I think coming from Montgomery County to WV will be a positive move regardless of where you land.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

380 posts, read 1,024,726 times
Welcome to the area. Be ready for a nice change of pace from Montgomery County.
As BBjunk mentioned there has been some new school construction in the county over the past few years. We were trying to catch up with the growing popluation, but then the population surge stopped and we have more schools than kids in some locations, but not all. I think the population/overcrowding of the schools for the specific school district under consideration would be my concern. With the completion of the new high school and the implementation of a middle school system, I think the major concern is now with the elementary shcools. There is a new elementary school under construction a few miles from my house which I think is to be completed this year. Also on this end of the county, between Shepherdstown & Charles Town, we have Wildwood Middle & Jefferson High adjacent to each other. When looking for a house you might also consider the length of your child's bus ride to each school. Here's the county BOE site:
Jefferson County Schools - JCS District Homepage (http://boe.jeff.k12.wv.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=1 - broken link)
I think the new hospital currently is proposed for the South end of the county near the Huntfield s/d.
300k should get you a nice house here. Prices seem to be generally steady now. In that price range you should be able to find a newer home of larger size (2500-3000' McMansion) on a small lot in a s/d, like Huntfield, Norborne Glebe, etc. or you can get a more custom built home maybe a little smaller but on a much bigger lot out of a subdivision or in one of the older established neighborhoods.
Let me know if you find anything you really like and maybe I can give you some more info on the specific area. 2010 makes 38 years in Jefferson County for me and for the last ten I've spent my days trying to figure out what the houses here are worth.

Clint

PS. You should be able to search my posts and find other links & info about the area.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM

397 posts, read 1,068,796 times
"I think the new hospital currently is proposed for the South end of the county near the Huntfield s/d."

Really?? There is a new hospital being proposed in Jefferson County near Huntfield and Washington High School????

Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM

380 posts, read 1,024,726 times
I couldn't find a quick link to where I had seen or heard the long term plan for Jef Mem, but I was fairly sure that the last proposal I was aware of involved a 30+/-Ac campus in that general area. I don't know what the proposed timeline is though. Right now I think the ER is undergoing a major expansion. I don't know whether the change in the population growth rate here or the construction of (or delay of) the hospital in Berkeley Springs could be a factor in building a new hospital here. The good news is, Romney is getting their new hospital, but that is a VHS project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia