Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,822 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how treacherous a drive I-64 through West Virginia/Virginia is in the winter? I am about to leave from Missouri to head to Charlottesville VA and need to know if it is passable this time of year. Am I going to need snow tires or chains? Do they close the highway for certain road conditions? Is it well salted and plowed? Are there plenty of places to stop in case road conditions are too bad to continue or is it pretty sparce? Sorry for all the questions, just a little nervous my small car wont make it considering the current weather advisories. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
I drove or rode that route for 23 years as a passenger and then later the driver (cville to Teays Valley). Even if/when it was snowing, I always thought things were well taken care of . The turnpike always scared my mother, because of its high speed, curves and hilly nature, but I always thought of it as great fun. As long as there isn't a huge blizzard (like we had 2 weeks ago, which was a once every 10 years event), the highway should be fine. If it is snowing, pay close attention to your car's outdoor thermometer and just be cautious. I'm guessing since you're a flatlander coming from dry areas, you've probably heard horror stories about winters in the mountains, but you should be fine. If you've never driven in snow, remember this: It's easier to start moving than stop moving. Since most cars are front wheel drive (or 4 wheel), they can get going pretty well these days. What people tend to forget is that those same cars are just as limited as a rear wheel drive car when it comes to stopping. Good luck, but I honestly doubt you'll need it.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 PM

80 posts, read 257,501 times
I think the turnpike from Charleston to Beckley will be the worse part of your trip through WV.I don't know when you'll be coming this way but snow showers are in the forecast from Beckley to the Virginia line the next few days.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 AM

125 posts, read 496,668 times
In my experience the roads through there have always been well taken care of. Definitely go during the day if you can, it's gorgeous scenery, especially if snow-covered/fall leaves/spring, well, any time of year actually.

And also be aware that in the past I've had problems with cell signal using both Verizon and Sprint. It's not like you have hours of driving with no signal, but 10-20 minute shots are pretty common. You just want to be sure your vehicle is in good condition and you don't make stupid decisions. KWIM?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Yesterday, US-219 from Hillsboro (Watoga SP) to Elkins was snow-covered from the base of Cheat Mountain at Edray almost all the way to Beverly. But it was pretty well packed down, plowed and salted/cindered, so as GHO noted elsewhere, just keep moving at a reasonable speed. The 75 miles took me 2.5 hours.

Saw long lines of skiers headed south from Snowshoe after the New Years weekend, usually backing up behind a terrified flatlander.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM

125 posts, read 496,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
usually backing up behind a terrified flatlander.
Too funny - and oh so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia