Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 187,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Don't forget, Dick Cheney (as VP) made a visit to Dubai and A/D only months before the announcement that Haliburton was relocating their HQ to Dubai.
Ah, right . . forgot that about Darth Cheny.

And at a glance, GW won't give up the donors to the $500,000,000 George W. Bush Library Foundation either.

Doesn't take much research to find the money from Dubai is a river to the Clintons too, via Bill, a/k/a William J. Clinton Foundation.

Quote:
. . just to keep it relavent to the forum
"West Virginia's Congressional delegation is no exception, with many countries, represented by stateside lobbyist groups, meeting with representatives Alan Mollohan (D), Shelley Moore Capito (R), Nick Rahall (D), and senators Robert Byrd (D) and Jay Rockefeller (D) from 2007 to 2008. In some cases these lobbyists have donated money to their campaigns."
The West Virginia Examiner - A WVEx Original: Foreign Influence on WV (http://www.examinewv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=142&Item id=35 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
Quote:
What few people know is that Dubai has only about 20 years of oil left in the ground. Once the oil runs out, there would be no more Dubai. So, they decided to make it into a destination, not only for the GCC, but the world. They simply went too fast. A couple big issues they're facing are a sewage problem that has closed the beaches at the Burj Al Arab, and weak concrete in all the buildings. Abu Dhabi is the largest state in UAE, comprising 87% of the land. They also have a bunch more oil. That's why Abu Dhabi isn't following Dubai in the tourism buildup. I would go back to Abu Dhabi in a second, it's very family friendly and the people are great- just like WV. I think NYU just opened a campus there as well... Grad school Cody?
they can't blow smoke up my @ss... lol they can build a building made of gold if they want... in 20 years when the country goes belly up faster than Enron and it becomes the next Somalia... I don't wanna be there.. ha ha Also being gay there is still punishable by jail time.... yeah... I think I'll pass. I'm out here in Phoenix... I found this just heavenly store called BevMo... it's like this huge liquor store the size of a Kroger... I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS PLACE!!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Cody:

I've been educating myself on muslim practices against homosexuals...and other infidels.
Iran has been torturing them by gluing their anus's shut...feeding them laxatives and then cutting of their heads...jail time would be very mild.

Look for Tooheys Old Dark Ale in the beer locker...Aussies best in my book.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
they can't blow smoke up my @ss... lol they can build a building made of gold if they want... in 20 years when the country goes belly up faster than Enron and it becomes the next Somalia... I don't wanna be there.. ha ha Also being gay there is still punishable by jail time.... yeah... I think I'll pass. I'm out here in Phoenix... I found this just heavenly store called BevMo... it's like this huge liquor store the size of a Kroger... I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS PLACE!!!!!
Don't believe everything you read or hear. There are plenty of gay Arabs, as well as expats. The UAE is very western. As long as you're not being blatant and overt about it, you're fine. Same goes for straight people. There is no making out in public. Holding hands and a respectful kiss is about all that is tolerated in public. As for jail time, gay or straight is irrelevant. An expat couple was getting it on on the beach one evening, both were thrown in jail. Sentenced to three months in jail, fined and deported.

As for Dubai going belly up, and becoming Somalia, I don't think that's going to happen. Remember, the ruling families are family. MBZ is not going to let Dubai and MBR dry up and blow away.

Phoenix is great this time of the year. I visited in February and loved it. Not so much in the summer. Dry heat or not, 106 is HOT!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
If anything, Dubai will be the next Beirut, rather than the next Somolia. Remember, at one time Beirut was the crown jewel of the Middle East. Now it's comparable to Detroit as far as crime and urban decay goes.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm with Dubai being the next Beirut very soon too...when things heat up in Yemen ...'down and out in Du-beverly Hills....

Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
Trust me, I know all about how gays are treated in the Middle East.. call it what you want, but leave me out of it. Ill stick it out in the West for now

Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,328 times
Our petro dollars at work, building artificial islands and towers to nowhere, buying gold and silver plated cars. There's supposed to a lot of oil in the area between the Saudis and Yemen, more than the Saudis have.

Many of the spaces in the building were purchased for resale, on speculation, and likely to remain empty according to this article:

The Burj Dubai and architecture's vacant stare | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 01-08-2010 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Editing

Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 PM

Yes, that is true...BMW will have one of their cars plated for you, if you have the cash...the silver needs to be polished once in a while...

And these homes make Al Gore's new digs look like a shanty...

Wonder what architects are making the designs and building these buildings...

I would say that the only time we had anything comparable to this work (here in the usa, where money was no object) was the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. Took 100 men 10 years at a cost of 10 million, I believe 1910?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,328 times
Biltmore Estate- Built by George Washington Vanderbilt II between 1889 and 1895. It is the largest privately-owned home in the United States, at 175,000 square feet (16,300 m2) and featuring 250 rooms.

Biltmore Estate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This gold car must have become passe', he's got a platinum plated Mercedes now.

Syed Aouf

World Most Luxurious Car - Gold Plated Car

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia