U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,050 times

Advertisements

I am going to be spending a day in Martinsburg in a few months, waiting for a west bound train. I’ll be confined to the downtown area and I am curious as to if there are any restaurants, stores, other sites of interest that would be worth checking out? I am going to have a couple hours to kill, nothing major. I am unfamiliar with the city, aside from what I have read on various websites and from this forum.
I was raised in the Pittsburgh area, in a town about Martinsburg’s size so I kind of know what to expect (although I figure Martinsburg will be a bit nicer than that). Just looking for a decent place to eat and/or visit and wondering if there is anything else about downtown that is worth knowing.
Recently, I received an offer to teach in Berkeley County, so I would like to use the visit as a chance to check out the immediate area.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,915,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPenn View Post
I am going to be spending a day in Martinsburg in a few months, waiting for a west bound train. I’ll be confined to the downtown area and I am curious as to if there are any restaurants, stores, other sites of interest that would be worth checking out? I am going to have a couple hours to kill, nothing major. I am unfamiliar with the city, aside from what I have read on various websites and from this forum.
I was raised in the Pittsburgh area, in a town about Martinsburg’s size so I kind of know what to expect (although I figure Martinsburg will be a bit nicer than that). Just looking for a decent place to eat and/or visit and wondering if there is anything else about downtown that is worth knowing.
Recently, I received an offer to teach in Berkeley County, so I would like to use the visit as a chance to check out the immediate area.
Thanks
Welcome to the area!!! I hope you enjoy your visit

Unfortunately, the central part of Martinsburg has kind of died-off in the past decade or so. However, don't let that get you down, because there is still some interesting points. As far as resturants go, I know they just recently opened one called Habenero (sp?), a mexican restuarant about two blocks from the square, I have heard nothing but good things about it. There is also another one called Corleone, I have not heard much about it, but from what I understand they're a little more on the upscale side. There are many other restuarants in the downtown area, those are just the ones I can think of right now off the top of my head, but I'll research it further for you. As far as shopping goes, like I said earlier, there really isn't too much of that in the downtown area. Most of the shopping in the Martinsburg area has moved out to the malls just outside of the downtown area; such as the Martinsburg Mall (JCPenney, Bon-Ton, Sears, Walmart) and the newly opened center called The Commons (Target, PetSmart, Books-A-Million, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.). There are a few boutiques downtown, but like most downtowns nowadays, retail has moved to the outskirts.

Like I said before, I will do some more research to see what all is downtown as far as resturants go, I know that may sound crazy considering I live in Martinsburg, but I usually dine either at the "chain" restaurants near the malls, or in surrounding cities. I'll get back to you as soon as I get some more information -mmccul

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

40 posts, read 127,860 times
The Chinese restaurant on Queen Street isn't bad if it's still there. Is Station Grill still there? It's mostly a bar but I think had a restaurant, too. It's the wrong time of year, but Rock Hill Creamery is good for ice cream. There is also Defluri's chocolates: About Template (http://www.defluris.com/philosophy.html - broken link)

I can't think of what else is still open downtown. I've always thought parts of downtown Martinsburg have quite a bit of charm but it seems like more and more stores/restaurants have closed in this area in the past few years. When I'm in WV on weekends, I don't often go to Martinsburg at all anymore (prefer Shepherdstown), so I'm not really sure what is still there.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,158,602 times
Harpers Ferry would be the best place to spend the day...good luck

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM

12,584 posts, read 16,250,086 times
Here's a link to Main St. Martinsburg, a group of business owners, shops, eateries, etc. There's an antique shop (crim da le crim), a great chocolate shop (de flueris) and a few other nice places fairly close to the train. I believe the Market House Grill is back up and running under new ownership too.

There's some places to visit downtown, and a lot of historic buildings too look at too.

http://mainstreetmartinsburg.com/index.php

Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 AM

233 posts, read 722,060 times
Right in downtown you will have a few small restaurants: Anthonys Pizza, Blue White Restaurant, Corleone, Habanero Mexican Grill, Irish Pub, Peking, and maybe a few others. I recommend checking out Peking. There is not a whole lot to do downtown, you'll mainly see Lawyers offices, city offices, banks, a hardware shop, flower shop, chocolate store, etc. You may want to tour and view some of the historic structures. South Queen Street and West King there are some stately older homes. Someone else on here may want to chime in on historical properties: Ex. Boydville.

Martinsburg does offer a public bus service called Pantran if you want to leave downtown and see other parts of town and return back to the train station.They run different routes like to various shopping centers and Shepherdstown if you want to tour there as well.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 AM

267 posts, read 1,273,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
Right in downtown you will have a few small restaurants: Anthonys Pizza, Blue White Restaurant, Corleone, Habanero Mexican Grill, Irish Pub, Peking, and maybe a few others. I recommend checking out Peking. There is not a whole lot to do downtown, you'll mainly see Lawyers offices, city offices, banks, a hardware shop, flower shop, chocolate store, etc. You may want to tour and view some of the historic structures. South Queen Street and West King there are some stately older homes. Someone else on here may want to chime in on historical properties: Ex. Boydville.
Hopefully the downtown Martinsburg Anthony's Pizza is cleaner now than it was when I was there last year. Talk about being dirty UGH !!! But downtown Martinsburg is nice with a lot of history though. Forgotten now for the most part, the 1985 Patsy Cline bio flick "Sweet Dreams" was filmed in downtown Martinsburg ( and it still more/less looks the same today as it did then). Also not sure where its at exactly, I think its close to Blue White where local WEPM radio had their studios back in the 50's. Despite being a small station ( it still is ), WEPM's studios were so big that they were able to handle a studio audience of 200 or so, and WEPM's morning announcer at the time..Patsy Cline. Also didn't Martinsbugh at one time back in the 70's tried to turn their downtown area in to a walking mall similar to what nearby Winchester has ? Wonder why Martinsburg didn't go through with it?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,050 times
Thanks for all the information, it sounds like it will be helpful. I am also going to look into the bus line for sure. That said, is downtown pretty navigable? I have taken a look at a couple street maps and that seems to be the case.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 12,750,855 times
Quote:
Thanks
What is it you teach? My daughter and her family live in Martinsburg. She teaches in Hagerstown and he in Jefferson County. They love it there.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM

233 posts, read 722,060 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the information, it sounds like it will be helpful. I am also going to look into the bus line for sure. That said, is downtown pretty navigable? I have taken a look at a couple street maps and that seems to be the case.
Downtown is pretty navigable, it is a standard city block grid. The really only commercial/business sections in Downtown are around the "Sqaure" of King and Queen Streets. All the "Big Box" stores in Martinsburg are concentrated around the interstate: Primarily Exit 12, 13, and 16.

The rest of Downtown is residential and the further west you head the better the neighborhoods ex. Rosemont Ave, Tennessee Ave, Georgia Ave, Delaware Ave, Red Hill Rd, etc. All the new construction is on the outskirts of town, so you probably won't run into any.

Here's a Pantran bus schedule:

http://www.pantran.com/media/documen...dule_Aug09.pdf

It's a small bus service. I've never used it, but I see their buses around town quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia