Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 19,817 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a modular home 1800-2000 square foot. I was wondering if there was anyone who give us a ballpark figure of the price for setup, including foundation, well, septic, gas, electric etc.... I know that an exact price is impossible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
What type of modular? Some use the term interchangeably with single wides, doublewides and modular frame built homes. What geographic location are you building and is it one story or two? How far is electric from the site, block or poured foundation?

Too many variables to ascertain a ballpark.

The last house we lived in we built, and if I recall, excavation and foundation (which was 12" block) ran about 15% of project cost. It was 24'x40' footprint, but 10 courses. Utility hook-ups were for electric and sewer and fairly nominal due to location. Had we not had sewer available, we would have required a LPP septic system which 10 years ago would have run $15,000 due to the site.

Like I said- it all depends.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-07-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,301 times
I would place a phone call to some of the mobile/modular home business's in the area. They should be able to help you price the cost of their services.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,160 times
PM me some specifics (type, location, etc.) and maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
We build the Apex Modular Home in North Central Wv.

Rarely do we use masonry block because of its flaws...what we do use is the very precise Superior Walls Foundation out of Pennsylvania.

A regular foundation with excavation is in the ballpark of $25,000 and includes concrete floor, 2 windows, one 3/0 door and a sliding door if we can do a walk-out basement on the property.

Crane rentals (90 or 100 ton) in our area of Morgantown run $3500 per day.

Set Crew is the same $3500. (quoted for a 2 box Ranch Style Home not a 3,4 or more box home)

If other machinery is needed, such as a 650 bulldozer as a tractor to help move the carriers into the site or a track machine called a 'Wompus.....
Wompos runs $1500 per day and dozer about $450 with delivery.

Utes vary but gas, water ,telephone in 2" conduit, electric in 3" conduit will run about $3,800 with the hook-ups and the Owner pays for the (permits) street meter installs. (not over 150')

Septic System can run from $7500 to $15,000 depending on what system your county sanitarian calls for.
Installer, if qualified will do the 'perk test as part of the install.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. We live in and own land in West Union and I have actually been looking at Apex homes. Apex just sent me an email with the name of a local builder, Wayne Weber out of Morgantown. We want a modular, not a double or singlewide. I'm not sure what type of foundation we will use. Have never done this before, will definitely need advice in that area. It seems like its going to be very expensive...

Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Before we stick-built our last home we strongly considered Foremost out of PA. Those homes are built like tanks! Great reputation, 2x6 walls and energy efficiency items have always been standard.. Can't go wrong with one of those. As a loan officer in the eastern panhandle I financed many of them. They are NOT CHEAP, and a well built modular should not be cheap either.

I know of several others who used other modular builders that did not have great experiences. Shoddy workmanship, cracked windows and walls upon delievery, the companies refused to repair them.. The old mantra- you get what you pay for rules supreme.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Check out some reviews on this modular site. Foremost customers rate it all 5 stars (for lack of a better review).

Foremost Industries Inc. Greencastle, PA Modular Home Builder

They are really impressive. From their basic rancher to the executive styles, their quality is unbelievable.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 AM

Thanks everyone for all the info. We will definitely take everything said into consideration.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM

144 posts, read 317,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Check out some reviews on this modular site. Foremost customers rate it all 5 stars (for lack of a better review).

Foremost Industries Inc. Greencastle, PA Modular Home Builder

They are really impressive. From their basic rancher to the executive styles, their quality is unbelievable.
Ditto we have a Foremost rancher and definitely the most for your money. VERY solid and efficient.

Also we did some work ourselves and hired others for some. Would be glad to answer any questions you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia