U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM

11,944 posts, read 13,184,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
HL, you gotta read the map carefully. It shows the ancestry that has a plurality in each county. But it separates out all the Caucasians into separate countries, while African-Americans are simply lumped together as one common ancestry. Not to mention the rather silly category of "American" (since there are separate categories for both Aleuts and American Indians).

I think your 15-20% is about right.
American was an odd category. I wondered if that meant mixed populations of whites or what. But as the story is told from the southern side, I think that red in the map was real to them, even if it didn't line up quite right with birds eye view. Know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 12,758,877 times
Bobilee...

I agree that Robert Byrd is close to that, but he is nearly the only
WV politico in that category. The rest of them essentially vote
strictly liberal except for Moore-Capito. Rockefeller is the classic
elitist left winger.

Thanks for posting the Hazel Dickens link. I love Appalachian
music, and hers is the most authentic available.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM

530 posts, read 969,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Bobilee...

strictly liberal except for Moore-Capito. Rockefeller is the classic
elitist left winger.

Thanks for posting the Hazel Dickens link. I love Appalachian
music, and hers is the most authentic available.
Except for abortion, Shelly is more liberal.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM

10,113 posts, read 12,758,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
South of WV in Appalachia I believe they consider themselves to be southerners.
North of WV in Appalachia they don't consider themselves to be Appalachian at all. I live in Pittsburgh and most Burghers would scoff at the idea as they seem to adhere to the stereotypes of the region's inhabitants. This is somewhat ironic as many from outside of western PA seem to be under the impression that the city is a polluted moonscape closely akin to the mouth of hell. In truth its actually quite nice.

From what I've seen from living here for 3 years I wouldn't call the locals up here Appalachians either. They have a vastly different accent, and share more in common with the residents of the midwest or western NY. The city has a very strong population of eastern European ancestry including entire neighborhoods that are predominantly of Russian, German, Polish, or Italian ancestry. About 1/3 of the population of Pittsburgh are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. They're friendly, they look out for you, and they make you feel at home. Another 1/3 seem fairly neutral. Unfortunately the last 1/3 are the most hateful, nastiest, most impatient people with misplaced priorities that you'll ever meet. From time to time they make living here quite unpleasant, although I suspect you'll find similar people in just about any big city. Outside of those individuals it can be a very enjoyable place to live.

Most WVians however don't consider themselves as a part either subculture. We share some similarities with the residents of either area of the country, but our subculture is unique in its own right. I suppose you could look at Maryland (outside of DC) the same way in many respects.
Pittsburgh's roots are clearly Appalachian. The "yinz" and "Yinzes" in their speech is a variation of the "you'ns" found in rural parts of northern West Virginia and western Pennsylvania. The slavic immigrants undoubtedly changed the character of the city, but those folks largely became Polish Appalachians... somewhat different than the rest, but with many Appalachian characteristics none-the-less. There is an elitist old money element there that is related to the steel and coal barons of the past, and they have few real connections to Appalachia, but in general the city is quite Appy in character... influenced by those other elements. The Squirrel Hill contingent (perhaps the part with the most narrow gene pool... thus the need to deflect) looks disparagingly at others and calls them "hoopies" and the like. That does not alter the fundamental character of the city.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,160,923 times
I particularly like the Uniontown/Greensburg dialect...very Polish and very appalachian...great observation CT.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,276,625 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh's roots are clearly Appalachian. The "yinz" and "Yinzes" in their speech is a variation of the "you'ns" found in rural parts of northern West Virginia and western Pennsylvania. The slavic immigrants undoubtedly changed the character of the city, but those folks largely became Polish Appalachians... somewhat different than the rest, but with many Appalachian characteristics none-the-less. There is an elitist old money element there that is related to the steel and coal barons of the past, and they have few real connections to Appalachia, but in general the city is quite Appy in character... influenced by those other elements. The Squirrel Hill contingent (perhaps the part with the most narrow gene pool... thus the need to deflect) looks disparagingly at others and calls them "hoopies" and the like. That does not alter the fundamental character of the city.
It would have been real interesting if Western Pennsylvania, Western Maryland and West Virginia had become it's own state...with Pittsburgh being the 'big city' for it. They are all certainly distinct enough from elsewhere and similar enough to each other to have warranted it.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 AM

11,944 posts, read 13,184,661 times
Quote:
Bobilee...

strictly liberal except for Moore-Capito
. Rockefeller is the classic
elitist left winger.
I voted for her. You missed her in the purp walk?
CONGRESS WENT TO DENMARK-YOU GOT THE BILL--ARTICLE BY CBS - Patriotic Resistance (http://www.resistnet.com/group/watchdogforcapandtradebill/forum/topics/congress-went-to-denmarkyou - broken link)
This labeling system is dysfunctional. Whatever D's or R's are doesn't translate out to be anything different once DC system gets hold of them. I think even Byrd would have to admit the rules he has to play by need revision.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,406,284 times
Quote:

The area's roots might be in Appalachia, but aside from geography that is where the similarities end. I've lived here for three years in rich areas like Squirrel Hill, and poorer areas like Polish Hill (the latter neighborhood has the nicer people). An Appalachian culture does not exist in the metropolitan area outside of yours truly (or other WVian ex-patriots). The people in the city scream "midwest" in just about everything they do. The food as well might share some regional commonalities, but for the most part its hardly Appalachian.

The Squirrel Hill area is predominantly Jewish and affluent, but to say that its the only place around here that looks down its nose at WV is false. Just about anywhere you look, rich or poor, they adhere to the stereotypes fairly consistently.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,030,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It would have been real interesting if Western Pennsylvania, Western Maryland and West Virginia had become it's own state...with Pittsburgh being the 'big city' for it. They are all certainly distinct enough from elsewhere and similar enough to each other to have warranted it.
Far from a new idea: Westsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 AM

833 posts, read 1,303,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
The area's roots might be in Appalachia, but aside from geography that is where the similarities end. I've lived here for three years in rich areas like Squirrel Hill, and poorer areas like Polish Hill (the latter neighborhood has the nicer people). An Appalachian culture does not exist in the metropolitan area outside of yours truly (or other WVian ex-patriots). The people in the city scream "midwest" in just about everything they do. The food as well might share some regional commonalities, but for the most part its hardly Appalachian.

The Squirrel Hill area is predominantly Jewish and affluent, but to say that its the only place around here that looks down its nose at WV is false. Just about anywhere you look, rich or poor, they adhere to the stereotypes fairly consistently.
At Washington-Jefferson College in Washington, PA there is a Northern Appalachian studies program devoted to the study of the Pennsylvania/Northern West Virginia/Eastern Ohio region. Since most attention is given to the southern portions, there was a need for the northern region to be studied.

Also PA residents who moved from the Appalachian counties were classifired as "Appalachian" migrants when they moved to the industrial cities in northern Ohio and other midwestern locations in the 1940's-1960's, along with their counterparts from WV, KY, and TN.

As a southwest PA resident now, I do see some Midwestern quailites, but it does not "scream" midwestern. Even watching the local news, I hear more (northern) Appalachian accents than midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or