Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Cool!

Thanks for that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I voted for her. You missed her in the purp walk?
CONGRESS WENT TO DENMARK-YOU GOT THE BILL--ARTICLE BY CBS - Patriotic Resistance (http://www.resistnet.com/group/watchdogforcapandtradebill/forum/topics/congress-went-to-denmarkyou - broken link)
This labeling system is dysfunctional. Whatever D's or R's are doesn't translate out to be anything different once DC system gets hold of them. I think even Byrd would have to admit the rules he has to play by need revision.
That's a good point. Power corrupts. Absolute power
creates the kinds of messes we see forming in Washington
and Charleston. It really has nothing to do with party
affiliation because they all play to special interests. The
citizen is a secondary consideration... remotely secondary.

We got the first populist on board in Massachusetts ( I know,
he has a party moniker but I believe that is just for convenience).
We need to get a whole bunch of them on board in November.
We have to get some people in there who are willing to listen
to the people instead of following the money.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
At Washington-Jefferson College in Washington, PA there is a Northern Appalachian studies program devoted to the study of the Pennsylvania/Northern West Virginia/Eastern Ohio region. Since most attention is given to the southern portions, there was a need for the northern region to be studied.

Also PA residents who moved from the Appalachian counties were classifired as "Appalachian" migrants when they moved to the industrial cities in northern Ohio and other midwestern locations in the 1940's-1960's, along with their counterparts from WV, KY, and TN.

As a southwest PA resident now, I do see some Midwestern quailites, but it does not "scream" midwestern. Even watching the local news, I hear more (northern) Appalachian accents than midwestern.

I agree with what you're saying about southwest PA, but if you're talking about Pittsburgh or the culture to the north and east of it, it isn't Appalachian by a long shot. Look up Tiger_Beer's thread on the Pittsburgh board posing this very same question. Not only are they in disagreement of being considered a part of "Appalachian culture", some of them are outright offended by the notion of it.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Pittsburgh has bee chosen to direct our regional growth and progress...about 80,000 more people coming here in the next 10 years or so...

Wv corruption has been bypassed for the most part, because the money is to be funneled to us by the 'Yinzer Banks...

thank Sen. RCB for that one.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I agree with what you're saying about southwest PA, but if you're talking about Pittsburgh or the culture to the north and east of it, it isn't Appalachian by a long shot. Look up Tiger_Beer's thread on the Pittsburgh board posing this very same question. Not only are they in disagreement of being considered a part of "Appalachian culture", some of them are outright offended by the notion of it.
I disagree. Yinzers are very much Appalachian, whether they like it or not. It's a bit different than mountain culture (the accordion replaces the banjo), and ethnic neighborhoods are more common (Polish Hill, Bloomfield, Sq. Hill), but then it's difficult to have ethnic enclaves in a small town, like most of WV is.

But like WV, WPa has the blue-collar work ethic, family and religion are important, traditions are important. The Steelers have the same kind of nationwide following that the Mountaineers do. The Christmas cookies don't come from some fancy bakery, they're baked in grandma's kitchen. Pierogis on Christmas eve, pork and cabbage on New Year's Day.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
They are "offended" by it because of the influence of relatively small
elements within the area (largely localized in the Squirrel Hill district)
who in fact do have little to do with Appalachian roots, and who have a disproportionate amount of influence in the community. But, I worked in the
"Burgh for years. Believe me, it is Appalachian at the core. The ordinary folks are Appalachian. The elitists and their cohorts are not. There is also some midwestern and northeastern influence in the mix.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
If someone looks for that thread...its title is...

'The Paris of Appalachia'

I'm not actually the originator of that thread though, just a very active participant

Old 01-28-2010, 01:41 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's a good point. Power corrupts. Absolute power
creates the kinds of messes we see forming in Washington
and Charleston. It really has nothing to do with party
affiliation because they all play to special interests. The
citizen is a secondary consideration... remotely secondary.

We got the first populist on board in Massachusetts ( I know,
he has a party moniker but I believe that is just for convenience).
We need to get a whole bunch of them on board in November.
We have to get some people in there who are willing to listen
to the people instead of following the money.
Credit where it's due... throwing money bombs feeds the process of corruption that got us here long ago, so be prepared to take responsibility for that too. Scott Brown is paid for through and through, and will march in with his ideals and be ground up like sausage by the system because no one is facing the system itself.
Tea Party Herds the Angry, Lands in Hot Water: Margaret Carlson - BusinessWeek
Cautionary tale: Being disgruntled does not a solution make. You could wait years to see the big picture you're in now, or you can believe me when I tell you you're engaged in therapy for a long standing identity crisis within the GOP. Forget the distraction of liberal bashing, it's denial. GOP is empty handed & bereft so they bash. Therapy is what it amounted to in Ross Perot work when Bucchanan came in to muscle his perceived flock back, and that's you're doing now. That's what it amounts to when former R's go libertarian.

Change up the players infinitely, until the rules of the game change, no matter the team or the players it's an exercise in disillusionment. If you manage to rid the R's of toxic neocon ideology, YAY! The 12th amendment blocks 3rd parties from having a chair of their own, FOX is steering Tea since inception, they've already got a long track record of making chumps out of Americans. They might as well be selling abercrombie T-shirts mocking WV'ns TO WV'ns, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

You may have the best of intentions but your efforts are vulnerable to abuse and you need to be aware of the scope of treachery happening over your heads. I sincerely wish good luck. I hope good things come of your work but I cannot endorse what you've thrown in with. The day Murdoch and Bush are given the entire bar tab for Iraq is the day I might think of forgiving. I'd say Pelosi already answered the question of institutionalized injustice for everyone.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If someone looks for that thread...its title is...

'The Paris of Appalachia'
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ppalachia.html

That's the thread about Pittsburghers debating if Pittsburgh is Appalachian or not. Would be great to have some WV post on it for some added perspective and dialog.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ppalachia.html

That's the thread about Pittsburghers debating if Pittsburgh is Appalachian or not. Would be great to have some WV post on it for some added perspective and dialog.
Sorry I can't add to your thread more significantly, I've much to learn myself as new resident. BUT... I get the feeling that the moment industrialized systems step in, Appalachian culture seems to recede into the hills in similar response that native americans abhor fences. Amish made a clear stand of where civilization can check itself at the door, but the rest of Appalachian culture tends to wander off unannounced, settling in pockets and hollers scattered around, living out their sensibilities in unwritten traditions. They can't explain what they do, they simply DO what they do.

My appalachian grandmother couldn't teach me to cook because I needed words to learn, and so limited a time to spend with her, she could only show me how tight a grip on flour was in her hand as measurement. The act of explaining seemed to embarrass her, as if confrontational. There were unspoken prayers in every meal she made, and there are no words to describe. The english language fails to capture the true essence of Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia