Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

In what way would you differentiate WV from other Appalachian regions?

I'm trying to get a sense of it...it seems that north of WV...in western PA...there is more of a Catholic presense. Below you, it seems more Baptists...northern WV seems to have a lot more 'Methodists'...which seems unusual to me.
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...rch_bodies.gif

What other ways...how about cities like Asheville or Knoxville...would people identify with them in WV...or would they identity more with Pittsburgh? Or really have on interest in identifying with any of them?

Also, seems like some places are sports obsessed...I'm thinking Kentucky with basketball...I think Tennessee with football...probably Pittsburgh with the Steelers (football)...does WV have any kind of sports obsession to the same degree..or a bit free from that?

Seems like outdoor actitivies..river rafting etc is getting big in WV...particularly for tourists..is that more unique to WV...or quite common throughout the region?

How about MUSIC...Mountain Stage often plans on NPR..does it seem that music is strongly appreciated...or does it seem like more of the musicians come from other Appalachian regions? Thinking of Mountain type music in general.

AHmm...anything else to add? Comments, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 PM

938 posts, read 2,896,981 times
West Virginia is very difficult to describe from a cultural standpoint. Mostly due to its complex geography. It is essentially the cultural crossroads of the country. The Northern areas are heavily influenced by Pittsburgh. They'll say You'ns just like a Yinzer from Pittsburgh. People in, say, Parkersburg have a very Ohioan mixed with WV accent and cultural influence. You can especially see it in the architecture in the buildings...they have that classic rust belt look to them. The Eastern part of the state is heavily influenced by the Mid-Atlantic state...especially as Martinsburg has developed into a bedroom community for Washington DC. The Southern part of the state has a heavily Southern influence. The difference in accents between a person from Morgantown and Parkersburg and those in, say, Beckley and Bluefield show stark contrasts.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
Too complicated for me...region extends from Canada to Georgia..

If there is a broad common denominator, it would be the high church attendance and conservative nature of these peoples.

That is an astute observation about Methodism in the North Central Region of Wv.

Began in the early days of Monongalia County with the Bishop Ashbury Poole..
He rode horseback and established that church by ordaining local uneducated ministers.
It was an very unpopular policy with his leaders but it gave a strong foothold for that religion.

Read 'Pooles Prophecy about this region...and his diarys can be googled.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 AM

I guess I was mostly thinking of everything south of PA....

Maybe comparisons between WV and KY/VA/NC/TN/PA specific to the Appalachians though.

--

The Methodist thing is interesting though..never would have imagined that would be big in Northern WV.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

The Methodist thing is interesting though..never would have imagined that would be big in Northern WV.
Don't be misled by where the modern political boundaries are... as Pharm wrote, different parts of the state were settled by different cultures, and at different times.

West Virginia was settled by encirclement, and many areas were largely unpopulated until relatively recently. Wetzel and Tyler Counties, for example, didn't grow rapidly until the oil and gas boom of the early 1900s. And with the topography making roads (and railroads) difficult to build, until the late 1800s almost all the population was concentrated along the rivers. Before 1900 or so, it was much easier to get from Cumberland MD to Elkins by going to Pittsburgh first.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
WV is not different from the rest of Appalachian regions because it bonds with its neighbors.

Like WVUPharm mentioned, the north sides with PA, The east with VA & MD, the south with VA & KY, and the west with OH

this is reflected in the following: arcitecture, accent, and apperance

If anything made WV different it would be the towns. I really can't think of any state that has towns like West by God

Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
Tennessee, North Carolina, north Georgia, and north Alabama, while part of Appalachia, are influenced more by the Deep South. If you ask anyone in those states if they are southern, I'm sure 95% would say yes. While the people are nice in those areas, West Virginians tend to not be fake and will let you know where they stand with you.

West Virginia is unique. The towns look different too. (Although I think Charleston could look like a mini Chattanooga if they tried.) Even the people are different from those more southern areas. If you ask West Virginians if they are southerners, you will not get that 95% concensus like you would further south. In the far southern counties, I'm sure that % would be quite high though.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Tennessee, North Carolina, north Georgia, and north Alabama, while part of Appalachia, are influenced more by the Deep South. If you ask anyone in those states if they are southern, I'm sure 95% would say yes. While the people are nice in those areas, West Virginians tend to not be fake and will let you know where they stand with you.

West Virginia is unique. The towns look different too. (Although I think Charleston could look like a mini Chattanooga if they tried.) Even the people are different from those more southern areas. If you ask West Virginians if they are southerners, you will not get that 95% concensus like you would further south. In the far southern counties, I'm sure that % would be quite high though.
Even viewing google maps, it seems that WV cities have more density to them - more buildings closer to the road, etc. They seem more centered around the town...a bit community feel in look. Kind of like the community might walk to the restaurants on Sunday morning or whatever. (I don't know if they actually do or not though).

When I view and visited southern states...they seem more spread out...very car-oriented...etc.

WV does seem very unique...and attractive. I also like the look of Western MD cities which border on WV - i.e. Cumberland & Hagerstown. I definetely like Pittsburgh immensily - maybe one of my favorite cities in the U.S.

I also like the working class aspect of WV...the history with coal, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlfOwBvxpII

Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Default Here is What Differentiates West Virginians From Others...

West Virginians are smarter, better looking, stronger, more courageous, and more industrious than people any place else, including even the rest of Appalachia. That's what sets us apart!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
They are still good shots too...ask any Marine or Army Drill instructor.

The legend continues.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia